Reliable dropper posts

March 7, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

What did you guys pay for your Thomson post? I need a new dropper and was going to go back to the old standby (Reverb) but if the price isn't that much different it sounds like the Thomson might be the way to go.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 7, 2014, 9:17 a.m.

Retail is pretty damn high, but once in a while one of the online shops puts them up for a decent price and if you have a decent relationship with your LBS they might be able to work something out with you.

March 7, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

I have a Specialized Black lite on my Epic and have absolutely no problems since installing it last season. I prefer having only 3 ride heights. Race height, moderately going down height and got-to-pay-attention-this-is-steep height. I do a lot of steering and maneuvering the bike with my legs against the saddle, so knowing the exact position of where the saddle is going to be is key to me.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

March 7, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

I have a Specialized Black lite on my Epic and have absolutely no problems since installing it last season. I prefer having only 3 ride heights. Race height, moderately going down height and got-to-pay-attention-this-is-steep height. I do a lot of steering and maneuvering the bike with my legs against the saddle, so knowing the exact position of where the saddle is going to be is key to me.

I had one of those and also really liked the 3-positions. I swapped to a 150mm KS LEV and while I much prefer the longer throw (versus my Command Post's 120) I'm pretty much indifferent to the infinite adjust.

My LEV has required a bit of cable maintenance but nothing a quick adjustment didn't fix handily (once at Obsession and once at Corsa). I've been running the LEV for 18 months and other than those cable adjustments has worked flawlessly.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 7, 2014, 10:39 a.m.

The Thomson is a nice post, same quality and attention to detail as their other components. The cable loop is the deal breaker for me. I have a LEV on two bikes, and cannot find fault with them so far. The LEV is much cheaper, doesnt have the cable loop issues, and comes in more sizes, which makes it a better choice than the Thomson in my opinion.

March 7, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

^^ stealth Thompson's should be coming soon. Still agree with you on the Lev points though. And being able to remove a Lev from the bike easily easily is a nice touch.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 7, 2014, 2:01 p.m.

^^ stealth Thompson's should be coming soon.

Stealth posts only work on bikes designed for them. KS makes a stealth post as well, but they aren't applicable to all but the newest bikes.
I think Thomson had their chance to come in and really be the go to post, but failed on their execution and pricepoint.

March 7, 2014, 3:42 p.m.

Stealth posts only work on bikes designed for them. KS makes a stealth post as well, but they aren't applicable to all but the newest bikes.
I think Thomson had their chance to come in and really be the go to post, but failed on their execution and pricepoint.

I've heard shops tell of drilling alloy frames to run a stealth post. You can sometimes bore out a water bottle mount. I'd be less inclined to modify a carbon frame this way but most new carbon frames come stealth-ready.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 7, 2014, 4 p.m.

The Thomson internally routed dropper is coming out in May. MSRP is $479. The regular version can be had for about $380 online.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 7, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

The regular version can be had for about $380 online.

Thats over $100 more than you can get a LEV for if you hunt around a bit…

March 7, 2014, 8:50 p.m.

Have the Specialized as well, I'm a big fan of the 3 post positions. I like knowing where my seat position is going to be, more reliable ride compared to the infinite positions.

March 7, 2014, 8:54 p.m.

Thats over $100 more than you can get a LEV for if you hunt around a bit…

Not even in the same realm. Thomson [HTML_REMOVED] KS

March 8, 2014, 6:58 a.m.

Not even in the same realm. Thomson [HTML_REMOVED] KS

I've read of a few issues with Thomson posts, although I've had no firsthand experience. I have a KS and really like it, although it shit the bed during the first week of ownership and had to get warrantied. Based on the parking lot test and looks I give the nod to Thomson, but the cable loop is a real downer.

March 8, 2014, 7:58 a.m.

Maybe it depends on the particular frame a person has and routing that the frame dictates but on my Nomad and hard tail there is no issue whatsoever with the external routing. Hose simply loops down a bit but remains tucked in. I put some clear protective film down the side under the loop in case it rubs too much.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 8, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

been running a KS Lev for a year now, like hydro brakes it's been an unbelievable improvement. I like Thomson shit as well, but can't get past the cable loop. my ride buddy has one and has had issues with routing on his small frame. also think that KS has the best lever, it acts as a lock ring on your grip. very clean look.