Reliable dropper posts

Sept. 15, 2012, 9:23 p.m.

How do these companies afford to warranty/fix EVERY single POS dropper post out there… I don't get it? I'm still waiting for the goods… maybe KS LEV 15O Integra?

Md

Sept. 16, 2012, 7:47 p.m.

Would not hesitate to buy a KS Lev.

Sept. 16, 2012, 9:24 p.m.

How do these companies afford to warranty/fix EVERY single POS dropper post out there… I don't get it?

The internet and reality are not the same thing. Reading forums of rant after rant about various droppers does make it sound like they all break. But in reality, only a small portion of them do. The majority of Reverbs work flawlessly (with typical maintenance). Mine is (so far) one of them. Take the interwebs with a grain of salt at all times!

I can understand the topic creator's desire to switch brands after bad personal experience but it's not typical of everyone's experience.

Sept. 16, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

I have had my KS i7 for 2 years not ant it is flawless.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Sept. 16, 2012, 10:09 p.m.

I just invested in a super reliable one. Carbon/Ti - how can you go wrong? Just learn to ride with your seat up.

Sept. 16, 2012, 10:35 p.m.

I just invested in a super reliable one. Carbon/Ti - how can you go wrong? Just learn to ride with your seat up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 17, 2012, 9:56 a.m.

doesn't leak though. :thepimp:

Sept. 17, 2012, 7:33 p.m.

This will be overheard 18-24mo from now: "Hey remember when dropper posts first came out? They were always blowing up, cost like $400, had play in them and you to have two just so you had something to ride while one was in the shop".

Seriously, this is like the Niterider or L[HTML_REMOVED]M light 4 yrs ago when you paid $800 for 300lumens and would need and expensive repair or part every 5th ride.

So far to go, and so few options. Dear MTB Industry, lets cut to the chase and stop wasting everyone's time.

NSMBA member.

Sept. 17, 2012, 8:59 p.m.

wifey and i have had good luck with these among our bikes for 3 seasons each, requiring only yearly servicing, they've been flawless otherwise:
2 reverbs, one KS-950, one gravity dropper

Sept. 18, 2012, 9:17 a.m.

Wait what? You think people should stay away from adjustable seatposts because you've had issues? LOL sure bud.

If you want people to not deal with reliability issues you should be telling them to get a Gravity Dropper.

I like where Bionicon is going with the integrated dropper post.

I can only speak from my experiences, take my experience however you want, but I just don't think the product is mature enough…we seem to be beta testers in the dropper post market right now. Gravity Dropper probably has the best working post at the moment and that says a lot.

Integrated…really? I have only seen a little of what bionicon is working on but I am not a fan of what I have seen so far. What if something in the post breaks, it does not look like it is easy to just pop a regular post in so when shit does go pear shaped you have to wait to get it fixed to ride your bike again…no thanks.

Sept. 27, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

oops

When asked why the company chose to feed the cable into the head rather than the collar – which would eliminate any change in cable length, regardless of what height the post is set at – Thomson’s marketing manager David Parrett noted that there are a number of benefits to routing the cable to the top of the seatpost.
“For one thing, it allows us to use a larger cartridge, which has proven to be more reliable,” he said. Parrett also mentioned that it would be a relatively minor redesign to flip the orientation of the cartridge within the post, allowing the cable to run out of the bottom of the seatpost and opening up the possibility of an internally routed version in the near future.

looks like the smart money is on the mk2

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 27, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

oops

looks like the smart money is on the mk2

I saw them announce on FB that they will be coming out with a stealth mode (cable routing at the bottom of the post) when they release the post next spring.

Sept. 27, 2012, 5:25 p.m.

I've used my Rase Black Mamba for over 3 yrs and it's still going strong. I've had a few issues with the cable sticking, but I just pull off the housing, tie it off on the frame and reach down to pull and actuate. Easy fix and your not stuck at the bottom of your adjustment. I had some issue with the single bolt clamp, but now I use a small shim and titanium bolt and the problem is solved. The new one uses two bolts.

You just can't beat that kind of reliablility with 9" of infinite adjustment!

d

www.fvmba.com

Sept. 27, 2012, 8:59 p.m.

Thompson is coming out with their own version. i'm frankly shocked that they would enter this arena, so let's hope they bring and maintain their formidable reputation to bear.

Sept. 28, 2012, 2:31 a.m.

I'll take reliability over a fashion show any day.

Due to 27.2 seat tube on my bike my options were limited. Really glad I picked the Gravity Dropper.

Don't know about reliability, but the KS seems great and they make a 27.2 version.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells