Reliable dropper posts

Aug. 19, 2013, 6:10 p.m.

This is the sort of question asked by someone who doesn't own a dropper post. My Gravity Dropper has a bit of play in it, and it isn't even remotely noticeable when riding. If you are on the fence about buying one because of this issue, then ignore it, get a dropper and never look back, they will absolutely change the way you ride.

i have no doubts about it being a BIG improvement when riding . i have concerns about the play , not sure what you do for a living but i,m a manual/cnc machinist and i,m a bit picky one would say because of my job . the play i seen with one seatpost was TOOO much for a showroom new item . i also thigh steer with my seat and if the saddle is loose on the seat rails it drives me nuts , a sloppy dropper would do the same not to mention the rattle it makes LOL .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 20, 2013, 1:27 p.m.

^^ i think some are looser than others. I recall sitting on someones gravity dropper a couple years back and it felt sloppy. Just gotta test a few.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 20, 2013, 1:42 p.m.

From what I hear the Thomson has no play. I should have one soon to review… I will let you know how it feels.

Aug. 20, 2013, 1:42 p.m.

i have no doubts about it being a BIG improvement when riding . i have concerns about the play , not sure what you do for a living but i,m a manual/cnc machinist and i,m a bit picky one would say because of my job . the play i seen with one seatpost was TOOO much for a showroom new item . i also thigh steer with my seat and if the saddle is loose on the seat rails it drives me nuts , a sloppy dropper would do the same not to mention the rattle it makes LOL .

Precision engineering (lasers and opto-mech), I machine stuff too, and I held off for the longest time because of the slop, and honestly, it's a total non entity when riding.

Aug. 20, 2013, 2:37 p.m.

Precision engineering (lasers and opto-mech), I machine stuff too, and I held off for the longest time because of the slop, and honestly, it's a total non entity when riding.

Agreed, I've been designing and manufacturing precision machinery for years and if there's one thing I've learned it's that adding unnecessarily tight tolerances just adds cost for no reason. I hate any sort of play in my hubs, suspension bushings, … but it turns out that some wiggle in my seatpost is absolutely unnoticeable. The only time I notice it at all is when putting my bike on my repair stand or rack.

Aug. 20, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

I'd figure where I'd notice the play on the hardtail, but I cant recall noticing it on that bike either

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 20, 2013, 4:18 p.m.

I am riding a KS post right now and it has a bit of play…I have never noticed it while riding, seated or standing and using my thighs to help steer. I think you are overthinking this….take one for a ride and see if you notice it, only experience will tell. I have never used a GD post and don't plan to as I am not a fan of the design…but the other posts I have used that have some play have not been noisy either.

Aug. 20, 2013, 5:16 p.m.

I am riding a KS post right now and it has a bit of play…I have never noticed it while riding, seated or standing and using my thighs to help steer. I think you are overthinking this….take one for a ride and see if you notice it, only experience will tell. I have never used a GD post and don't plan to as I am not a fan of the design…but the other posts I have used that have some play have not been noisy either.

the bit of play i,m talking about was the nose of the saddle being able to rotate left to right over a 1/16" of a inch or more , that's way too much and would drive me up the wall . there may be other designs with less rotational play that,s what i,m looking for .

some guys ride with their shoes not tied up and other tie them up i ride with mine tied and tight personal preference .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 20, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

that's way too much and would drive me up the wall .

Think of what you'd be able to climb then!

;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 20, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

:rocker:

Think of what you'd be able to climb then!

;)

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 21, 2013, 7:24 a.m.

Just picked up a Gravity Dropper. Riding partner is on year 6 with his and just changed the shims. Parts were 7 bucks or so? Thats my kind of reliability.

Aug. 21, 2013, 7:44 a.m.

I don't think you should get too hung up on 1/16 of side to side rotation when you're pushing on it with a couple chunks of ham. I'd consider myself a fairly fit guy and there's a hell of a lot more squish than 1/16 between my saddle.

Aug. 21, 2013, 8:32 a.m.

the bit of play i,m talking about was the nose of the saddle being able to rotate left to right over a 1/16" of a inch or more , that's way too much and would drive me up the wall . there may be other designs with less rotational play that,s what i,m looking for .

some guys ride with their shoes not tied up and other tie them up i ride with mine tied and tight personal preference .

You definitely are overthinking it. Hubs, headsets etc, I have zero tolerance for play, but the seat post makes no difference at all.

Sept. 20, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

Reverb vs Gravity Dropper. I like the idea of the gravity dropper because it's simple, reliable, and I only need a 3" and 1" drop for 95% of what I do. But if the reverb is reliable I might as well go with that because it's less fugly and as far as I can see they're both about $325 (Grav Dropper LP from Gravity Dropper or 100mm Reverb from CRC). One other thing is I hate that the wire on my xfusion hilo moves up and down with the seat and prefer how the Gravity Dropper cable is static.

I think I have answered my own question.

GD it is I guess. :)

But wait…what's this Thompson dealio?

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 20, 2013, 5:38 p.m.

the KS Lev is coming down on price. Can be found online for just over $300 now and takes care of that cable issue you hate.

http://www.aebike.com/bike-seatposts_c_.html#/?page=1[HTML_REMOVED]filter.warehousebin=Height-Adjust%20Seatposts[HTML_REMOVED]filter.manufacturer=KS[HTML_REMOVED]filter.extrafield5=LEV