Reliable dropper posts

Sept. 20, 2013, 5:53 p.m.

Reverb vs Gravity Dropper. I like the idea of the gravity dropper because it's simple, reliable, and I only need a 3" and 1" drop for 95% of what I do. But if the reverb is reliable I might as well go with that because it's less fugly and as far as I can see they're both about $325 (Grav Dropper LP from Gravity Dropper or 100mm Reverb from CRC). One other thing is I hate that the wire on my xfusion hilo moves up and down with the seat and prefer how the Gravity Dropper cable is static.

I think I have answered my own question.

GD it is I guess. :)

But wait…what's this Thompson dealio?

I just mounted the Thomson to on my bike…but have not been able to ride it yet (broke another hub axle). So far I am really impressed by just how beautiful the post is….and NO play when I wiggle the seat, I love that! I will give my feelings on the post when I get more time in on it.

You can't really go wrong with a GD though…a little fugly, and lots of play in them but they just work.

Sept. 20, 2013, 5:59 p.m.

anyone local carry GD posts ?

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 20, 2013, 6:24 p.m.

I've picked up hardware for them from different bikes, so I'd try them

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 20, 2013, 6:25 p.m.

I just mounted the Thomson to on my bike…but have not been able to ride it yet (broke another hub axle). So far I am really impressed by just how beautiful the post is….and NO play when I wiggle the seat, I love that! I will give my feelings on the post when I get more time in on it.

You can't really go wrong with a GD though…a little fugly, and lots of play in them but they just work.

I hear Thomson has a 27.2 version in the works.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 21, 2013, 7:31 a.m.

anyone local carry GD posts ?

Distributor is in North Van, so likely any shop in Van.

Sept. 24, 2013, 10:54 p.m.

KS Lev Carbon 65mm. Probably missed since most of the interbike coverage done by websites seemed to be fingering the camera and other pointless shit

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 6, 2014, 4:51 p.m.

Bump.

Not much in the way of feedback about the Thomson post on the forum. Would anybody that has time on one care to share their thoughts?

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 6, 2014, 6:08 p.m.

Been on a Thomson for a few months and about to write a review on it… Spoiler alert…. I love it. Not one issue so far. You get what you pay for.

March 6, 2014, 7:22 p.m.

Saw this the other day… another player in the dropper post game… with Swiss precision?

http://yepcomponents.com/EN/index.aspx

March 6, 2014, 7:34 p.m.

Been on a Thomson for a few months and about to write a review on it… Spoiler alert…. I love it. Not one issue so far. You get what you pay for.

Still no play after a few months? Game changer game changer.

Or do we have to wait for the review…?

March 6, 2014, 7:55 p.m.

Good to hear. I think it's at the top of my list right now. Thomson's customer service seems to get good reports and having fast support is certainly a deciding factor.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 6, 2014, 10 p.m.

I've had my Thomson dropper for 9 months now with a pretty good amount of riding. It's covered in mud at the moment. Yes no slop and I haven't had to do a thing to it. Pricey yes but worth it in the long run.

March 6, 2014, 10:44 p.m.

Saw this the other day… another player in the dropper post game… with Swiss precision?

http://yepcomponents.com/EN/index.aspx

I almost missed seeing that dropper because my corneas were scorched by that god awful saddle!

March 7, 2014, 7:29 a.m.

Still no play after a few months? Game changer game changer.

Or do we have to wait for the review…?

No play…. Still as good as the first day I mounted it.

March 7, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

I bought the Thomson when it first came out… June or so?

Since then my bike has around 1,500km on it. The dropper post is exactly as it was the first day i got it. I even hang the bike from it and when it gets misaligned I do the evil method of smashing the side of my saddle with my fist!

Same time I put a new Reverb on my other bike. Equal kilometers. This post still works like the first day as well. However it does have a wee bit of left/right play in it. (I think it comes like that)

So, both drop like day 1, but the Thomson is much smoother and has no wiggle.

i also prefer the switch mechanism on the Thomson to the push on the Reverb. Especially as the ride climbs into the 3 hour mark and i get tired. You can just give it a nudge with your thumb.