Reign

June 24, 2017, 10:34 p.m.

How is this bike climbing steep technical terrain? I typically climb GSM and PL up seymour and the access road or climbing trail on fromme to earn my descents. I've read that the seat tube is pretty slack.

June 25, 2017, 7:57 a.m.

With the shock open it tends to sink a bit into its travel on steeper climbs and with the low BB you get a lot of pedal strikes. So I put it in trail mode for longer climbs and it actually climbs really well like that. It keeps the bike a bit higher in its travel. You lose some traction but there is still enough to make it up more technical climbs.

Seat tube angle is not as steep as on some newer bikes but for me with the saddle moved forward it's OK. The effective seat tube angle depends on your saddle height (higher=slacker), the number that bike companies publish is taken at stack height which is useless as no one has their saddle that low when climbing. Bike companies should include seat tube angles for a couple of realistic seat post extensions in their geometry charts.

Also see https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/any-giant-reign-owners-2015-1497/

Hope this helps

June 26, 2017, 8:57 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Bike companies should include seat tube angles for a couple of realistic seat post extensions in their geometry charts.

This.....

June 27, 2017, 6:48 a.m.

Posted by: coolatt

How is this bike climbing steep technical terrain? I typically climb GSM and PL up seymour and the access road or climbing trail on fromme to earn my descents. I've read that the seat tube is pretty slack.

I had a new Reign for a short while.  Depending on what you are coming from or what you expect it may or may not work for you.  I was on a Trance SX (140 back / 160 front) with 1 x 10 spd and 30x42 gearing 175mm cranks, the Reign had similar components, both nicely spec'd gearing was slightly lower 1x10 with 28x42 gearing, and 170mm cranks, both size medium bikes.  

For me, the Reign climbed up smoother trails similarly to the Trance SX in a similar gear (either needed the 28 vs 30 or the 2 tooth drop didn't make much of a difference), on more tech climbs R&R / Fromme climbing route or anything requiring short hard efforts the Reign felt sluggish compared to the Trance.  I also had more pedal strikes in the 5-6 rides I had the bike than I can remember in a long time.  It also felt sluggish on tighter trails (not really surprise given the long and low stance of the bike), but it felt very good on higher speed corners and held them almost without effort (again not really a surprise given the long an low stance of the bike).

In the end I sold it as it didn't suit me.  I see loads and loads of them in the area so I must be in the small minority of folks that didn't like the ride.  I have been a big fan of Giant bikes for years and still am.  The Reign is a fun bike, just be honest on what you expect from it.

June 27, 2017, 9:39 p.m.

Posted by: rideitall
<span style="line-height: 1.15; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">The Reign is a fun bike, just be honest on what you expect from it.</span>

This is what you have to keep in mind. I ride a Reign and it's a great climber for a low, slack, long enduro bike. :)

June 28, 2017, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: rideitall

I had a new Reign for a short while.  Depending on what you are coming from or what you expect it may or may not work for you.  I was on a Trance SX (140 back / 160 front) with 1 x 10 spd and 30x42 gearing 175mm cranks, the Reign had similar components, both nicely spec'd gearing was slightly lower 1x10 with 28x42 gearing, and 170mm cranks, both size medium bikes.  

For me, the Reign climbed up smoother trails similarly to the Trance SX in a similar gear (either needed the 28 vs 30 or the 2 tooth drop didn't make much of a difference), on more tech climbs R&R / Fromme climbing route or anything requiring short hard efforts the Reign felt sluggish compared to the Trance.  I also had more pedal strikes in the 5-6 rides I had the bike than I can remember in a long time.  It also felt sluggish on tighter trails (not really surprise given the long and low stance of the bike), but it felt very good on higher speed corners and held them almost without effort (again not really a surprise given the long an low stance of the bike).

In the end I sold it as it didn't suit me.  I see loads and loads of them in the area so I must be in the small minority of folks that didn't like the ride.  I have been a big fan of Giant bikes for years and still am.  The Reign is a fun bike, just be honest on what you expect from it.

I have been on mine since the beginning of 2015 and would agree with most of this. You are trading climbing performance for uphill performance. I was coming off a much older bike so it made a ton of difference to my climbing ability. You want to make use of the trail and climb settings due to the slack angles and low BB. You do get more pedal strikes but you adjust. I've done most of the Fromme / Seymour climbs and it's fine - if anything my fitness is more of the limiting factor. It still have a ton of fun every time I am on the bike.

June 28, 2017, 1:41 p.m.

I can see what he's talking about though. Yes, the Reign climbs well for what it is. On mellow fireroad climbs it's actually more efficient than my Strive.

But in steep, tight technical climbing sections it isn't ideal. A good rider can clean lots of stuff on it. And it's brilliant for descending and cornering - front/aft balance is better than the Strive as well. 

But there are snappier and livelier bikes for climbing.

It is a bike built for charging and really attacking the terrain. 

I kind of wish I didn't sell mine, but the buddy who bought it is super happy and riding it a lot. 

The Reign was only my backup bike and didn't see a lot of use, so it's better this way. Or so I try to convince myself.

And a short travel 29er with long reach will make more sense as a second bike...

Or a 2018 Reign ;-)

June 28, 2017, 7:16 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have always prioritized downhill performance over climbing efficiency. As long as I can get the bars low enough and the seat over the cranks enough to climb, and not be awkward descending I am happy.

July 10, 2017, 9:30 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

Or a 2018 Reign ;-)

Do you have details...???

July 12, 2017, 8:33 a.m.

No details. I might have seen a prototype which looked like a metric trance with Reign geometry. All black. And I didn't see welds. And it's three/four seasons since the Reign was updated. I'd bet there might be a new one imminent this year.

Could be proper 2018 as well though. It will be a great bike, right? :)

Last edited by: Znarf on July 12, 2017, 8:34 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 12, 2017, 10:05 a.m.

My Reign climbs tech fine.  The motor gives out sometimes but that's about it.

Be sure to watch your shock pressure and bearings with the Reign.

July 12, 2017, 4:04 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

No details. I might have seen a prototype which looked like a metric trance with Reign geometry. All black. And I didn't see welds. And it's three/four seasons since the Reign was updated. I'd bet there might be a new one imminent this year.

Could be proper 2018 as well though. It will be a great bike, right? :)

Guesses: metric shocking sizing/trunion mount, carbon rocker link (like the trance), tweaked leverage ratio (like 2017 trance), boost rear spacing.

July 13, 2017, 6:02 a.m.

Might be a Trance or something new...