Recycling tires?

Sept. 8, 2009, 3:57 p.m.

screw it. Joe just don't get it.

burn em.

I mean, why would you put old tires on trails? :???:

Sept. 8, 2009, 4:03 p.m.

and I'm glad no one's mentioned using them for traction on ladders. what a shitty idea that was back in the day.

er…

It used to be done. Wet rubber is grippier than slimy green wood, but it's a horrible old practice.

Sept. 8, 2009, 4:09 p.m.

er…

It used to be done. Wet rubber is grippier than slimy green wood, but it's a horrible old practice.

my sarcasm meter is broke, I thought you were being sarcastic with the "shitty idea".

Sept. 8, 2009, 4:13 p.m.

Kal Tire also takes old car tires for free - you don't have to throw them in the river anymore.

then what are you supposed to throw at the dead bodies floating in the river?

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Sept. 8, 2009, 4:17 p.m.

hey brian - MEC is recycling tires. They have a big pile at the front door. I've been recycling tires and tubes there

i would ask mec exactly what they're doing with the tires they're recycling. i used to work for pedal/our community bikes - we would take mec's tires out to pacific shredder on annasis island. ps mostly deal with car tires, and were taking bike tires as a favor to us. but it was a hassle for them - they've have to clear the yard and change the settings on the machine for what added up to the eq of only a few car/truck tires (and we're talking a HUGE load of bike tires). so eventually they started charging us the "minimum" - which was about 300$ and we couldn't afford to keep recycling the tires. we took them to another place in surrey a few times but they were actually recycling their tires with ps too, and when the latter caught on that option dried up too. i talked to the recycling council of bc and they were no help; last time i checked there was no way to recycle tires in BC (though there are a couple of a[HTML_REMOVED]c places that will PAY you for tubes!) but mec is still accepting the tires. . . so i guess you can take them there if you're not worried about what's actually happening to them. but if you are concerned about where they're ending up please ask and post info here.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 8, 2009, 4:52 p.m.

I don't believe MEC recycles their tires. How come they can recycle them but no one else can?

:england:

Sept. 8, 2009, 6:31 p.m.

I don't believe MEC recycles their tires. How come they can recycle them but no one else can?

Thats the power of the devils majic.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Sept. 8, 2009, 7:12 p.m.

dammit mark, I was going to offer them for that wall ride, but I've heard it's still waiting to be finished so I left you out of it.

well i could still use them. i need another set to zip tie to the lowers of my monster to make it look more like teh steez.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 8, 2009, 8 p.m.

w/b recycles plenty of tires from their rental fleet….so it can be done.

But I says if you dont burn your old tires in your fire pit,you are a terrorist.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 8, 2009, 8:03 p.m.

w/b recycles plenty of tires from their rental fleet….so it can be done.

where/how?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 8, 2009, 8:16 p.m.

It is very odd. In a place I worked before, we ended up with six bike boxes full of old tyres and tubes and spent hours fecking about trying to find somewhere to recycle them, including posting up on here. So unless MEC are using their own logistics to move stuff around and recycle tyres in bulk out of province somewhere, I have to wonder….

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 8, 2009, 8:16 p.m.

where/how?

…not sure,but Im sure you could call thier rental manager to find out.

As a side note,I'd be interested to know if there is a hidden "eco-fee" built into the price of aftermanrket bike tires like there is on car tires.

This would make the retailer responsible for their disposal.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 8, 2009, 8:24 p.m.

my god, I told you all what the Devil does with his tires.

Sept. 8, 2009, 10:22 p.m.

where/how?

Maybe they send them to China and that's why it's safer to run red lights over
there than to stop for them.:P

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 8, 2009, 11:39 p.m.

…not sure,but Im sure you could call thier rental manager to find out.

k i will. what's w/b?

As a side note,I'd be interested to know if there is a hidden "eco-fee" built into the price of aftermanrket bike tires like there is on car tires.
This would make the retailer responsible for their disposal.

there isn't, which is why they're not.