Recycling tires?

July 19, 2021, 9:09 a.m.

Posted by: boomforeal

Perhaps bike tires are the same and any tire store will take them.

again, they're not and they don't.

Oddly enough, I was throwing some tires out at the Function Junction garbage and recycling site. The attendant told me I was not to throw out tires there. They had no place at all for me to toss them. They told me to take them to a local bike shop which I did. The shop said they had no recycling option and they tossed their used tires in the garbage.

July 19, 2021, 9:45 a.m.

A garbage truck driver (also pretty good horn player) I drink beer with tells me none of that stuff we put in the blue bins is actualy getting  recycled cuz there is no market, So I still do it but I know its not being recycled

July 19, 2021, 12:44 p.m.

^^^

That's been true for a lot of blue bin materials for awhile.  It got worse when China stopped accepting recyclables from North America in 2018 (mostly because shipments had lots of non-recyclables mixed in with them, which makes sorting uneconomical).

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/03/china-has-stopped-accepting-our-trash/584131/

July 20, 2021, 9:05 a.m.

actualy people in BC are pretty aware of garbage, where it comes from/ how to collect it/ where its going  

traveling to Bali was an eye openner cuz people appear to have no clue so they just thro shit every where in Paradise, they will even thro it around their own property so there is garbage literally everywhere, the beaches are mounded with garbage in Indonesia

In Bali visited with the guy who developed eco - bricks Russel Maier (an ex-pat Smithereen artist) they were stuffing garbage into old water bottles and gluing them together with silicone to make furniture/ retaining walls or whatever Russel was talking about building a house from eco bricks, he was raising a lot of awarness about garbage & waste