Recommended telescopic seat posts?

May 15, 2009, 1:11 p.m.

Having never used/(or will use) telescopic seatpost,
are they flexy?

May 15, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

Axiom: Good fit, decent weight, only problem was the head seperated (It's glued in)

Titec: Heavy, not a precise fit, shitty clamp, creaky seat interface. Nothing good to say about it really.

Praxxys: Really light, stiff, one piece head so no glue issues, good clamp, inexpensive, but hard to find. I got mine from Matt at NSBS.

I've realised that most people who say they hate interrupted seat tubes, do not actually hate the frame design, but can't stand the substandard options when it comes to seat post choice. The Praxxys has been on my bike nearly 2 years now and it's faultless as far as I'm concerned.

axiom one worked great for me once I drilled a hole and put a bolt through (heat treated steel) to keep the head fixed in place…

Meh
Lets Ride…

May 15, 2009, 1:49 p.m.

I hate them…its a band-aid for a frame design problem (the interupted seatube)

Are you sure that it's not a solution to designing suspension without compromising on the shock mounting position?

I'm not agreeing either way, but your viewpoint can be taken both ways.

May 15, 2009, 2:21 p.m.

Having never used/(or will use) telescopic seatpost,
are they flexy?

depending on the size.

I had a 27.2mm telescoping post on my Norco Team DH that had a 58 degree post angle. It definitely flexed when raised up for climbing somewhere like Fromme. That's a pretty extreme example considering I was around 230lbs or so when I had it.

The more reasonable 30.0mm one on my Norco Six has zero flex when raised up.

All being said, even though I've been a pretty big supporter of the low hassle tele seatpost, it's still simpler and more convenient to have a normal seatpost. Raising for climbing with the tele is a bit of a nuisance even if you mark the post. You have to set one, clamp it and then do the other. It's just more convenient if you don't have to do it.

May 15, 2009, 9:03 p.m.

Are you sure that it's not a solution to designing suspension without compromising on the shock mounting position?

I guess it all boils down to priorities. Give me one seat post / QR over shock mounting issues any day. My legs give me about 2ft of suspension and I'm not a DH racer.

People on teh internetz will still be arguing over shock positions and the like in the year 2525, but for most people stuff like cable routing / guides (why do so many companies still get that wrong?), the ability to remove / install disc brake pads in a couple of minutes, being able to raise and lower a saddle with no fuss etc are more important. Just the simple stuff that makes people stand on the side of the trail looking at their bike while saying "Why is this so bloody stupid?!".

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 16, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

that's a fair point

my conclusion (after riding a whole heap of bikes with full-length seatubes and interupted seatubes which require telescopic seatpost or a regular post with no proper pedalling extension)

there are frames that work great out there, with full length seatubes

even the big "S" (specialized) have switched their FSR platform to rocker driven design to increase the seat tube depth insertion of many of their frames - its not a true full length but a considerable improvement on their earlier frames like the Big Hit or SXT which were a nightmare to try and pedal about on, with a low height saddle platform

if only someone like Thomson or Easton had made a telescopic seatpost then i'd consider the tele/s post a worthwhile consideration for a frame with interupted seatube

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

May 16, 2009, 12:55 p.m.

if only someone like Thomson or Easton had made a telescopic seatpost then i'd consider the tele/s post a worthwhile consideration for a frame with interupted seatube

That's exactly my point. The lack of a good telescoper really does limit the quality of any frame with an interrupted seat tube.
The Praxxys I have is the lightest, stiffest and highest quality of any I've tried, and it's a good enough quality that I would consider using a Praxxys post that was non telescopic. The inner post has an eliptical inner bore to increase stiffness while lowering weight, much like the Thomson does. It's a quality piece.

April 27, 2010, 4:48 p.m.

Apologies for the thread necromancy. I am only just getting round to replacing the seatpost now :damn:

It sounds like the Axiom is the recommended option (8 notes) followed by the Titec (2 votes). Next question which store stocks Axiom seatposts?

| My Bike | :scotland: XCer attempting to adjust to :canada:'s Mother Hucka trails…

April 27, 2010, 4:59 p.m.

Next question which store stocks Axiom seatposts?

axiom = norco housebrand, any shop in bc should be able to order them

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 27, 2010, 5:05 p.m.

axiom = norco housebrand, any shop in bc should be able to order them

Hmm, if I am having issues with the stock telescopic seatpost on my 2007 Norco Six Two then I guess it is already a Axiom seatpost so I'm screwed?

| My Bike | :scotland: XCer attempting to adjust to :canada:'s Mother Hucka trails…

April 27, 2010, 5:18 p.m.

Hmm, if I am having issues with the stock telescopic seatpost on my 2007 Norco Six Two then I guess it is already a Axiom seatpost so I'm screwed?

There may be different levels of axiom, but I seriously doubt it.:(

Stand up more?

:england:

April 27, 2010, 8:45 p.m.

There may be different levels of axiom, but I seriously doubt it.:(

Stand up more?

I guess so, it is going to make long climbs suck though.

April 27, 2010, 9:26 p.m.

It sounds like the Axiom is the recommended option (8 notes) followed by the Titec (2 votes). Next question which store stocks Axiom seatposts?

Sounds like Praxxy is the recommended option too me.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 27, 2010, 9:29 p.m.

I used an Axoim on my Shore last season and it was problem free. I sold the bike and gave the post to a friend who has used it for a few rides this season and no issues for him either.

April 27, 2010, 9:38 p.m.

My 2006 came with a Titec, which was a POS.