Recommendations for a good pair of riding sunglasses?

June 14, 2017, 3:42 p.m.

Looking to purchase sunglasses for riding; but when I go to the local sporting goods store to view what they offer, I didn't know where to begin!

I'm primarily riding around Vancouver, BC so the super dark tinted glasses won't do me much good while in the forests even on a sunny day... 

Anybody mind sharing what glasses you wear while riding?

June 15, 2017, 7:30 a.m.

Fogging is the main issue, and it seems to happen most in wet, sloppy conditions, when you really need the glasses most. My experience is with the Ryders Face (non-antifog) and now with the Giant Stratos (that I got cheap at their factory sale). The Giant ones do better with fogging, I think because there's more airflow between the lens and my face.

June 15, 2017, 7:48 a.m.

I am a fan of the Ryders anti-fog. I was riding clear ones and being a massive sweat-generator, these kept the fogging at bay for the most part. They have photochromic versions that are also anti-fog - which I think would be perfect for Shore riding.

June 15, 2017, 8:34 a.m.

I just got a pair of Ryder's fyre lens riding glasses. Works very well. As always, try any glasses on with your helmet to test fit and bend over into a riding position to make sure they go up high enough so that you're not looking over the top or into the frame. Sunglasses for the beach generally work poorly on a bike.

June 15, 2017, 10:23 a.m.

What do you think about safety glasses? They come in different tints, and super cheap. You can just go to a local hardware store if you lose a pair.

June 15, 2017, 1:48 p.m.

Safety glasses are an interesting idea! Hadn't thought of that... If they get smashed I could easily replace several sets for the same price as one high-quality pair.

Fogging would be my only concern with safety glasses though, don't think I've worn a single pair that didn't fog up within a few minutes of exertion.

Sounds like I'll look into what Ryder's has :)

June 15, 2017, 1:56 p.m.

I wore the 3M Virtua Sports riding for a while.  They're a completely clear one piece lens/frame.  Come in a plethora of tints and packs on Amazon.

June 15, 2017, 3:36 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I just got a pair of Ryder's fyre lens riding glasses. Works very well. As always, try any glasses on with your helmet to test fit and bend over into a riding position to make sure they go up high enough so that you're not looking over the top or into the frame. Sunglasses for the beach generally work poorly on a bike.

Do you wear a full face or open helmet with the Ryder's?

June 15, 2017, 4:13 p.m.

Another option is racquetball glasses. I found a nice pair at a sporting goods store for about $20. The quality was better than my hardware store glasses and they were designed to take a racquetball so hopefully they will hold up in a crash.

June 15, 2017, 5:25 p.m.

Julbo glasses, photochromatic. the color changes super fast, they have an very good anti fog. i have the dirts.

June 15, 2017, 5:57 p.m.

Posted by: D-Type

Another option is racquetball glasses. I found a nice pair at a sporting goods store for about $20. The quality was better than my hardware store glasses and they were designed to take a racquetball so hopefully they will hold up in a crash.

Nice! I'll look into this option. Trying to decide which $150+ pair of eyewear to buy isn't easy when there's 10 other things I want to spend my mtb money on

June 15, 2017, 6:12 p.m.

Posted by: StinkinRutBeer

Posted by: andy-eunson

I just got a pair of Ryder's fyre lens riding glasses. Works very well.

Do you wear a full face or open helmet with the Ryder's?

Both. They fit with my Leatt and Smith half shells and Giro Switchblade just fine.

June 16, 2017, 1:36 a.m.

Goggles? Haha.

If I'm not in goggles I tend to wear my road sunnies (Spuik Mamba, about £30) - they've seemed pretty bombproof as long as I've had them.

June 17, 2017, 8:26 a.m.

Safety glasses are ok, but they fog like crazy (since they tend to sit close to the face - which makes sense). I've even drilled air holes all around the outside of safety glasses before - and they still fogged up.

Racquet ball is an interesting idea.

June 18, 2017, 4:29 p.m.

You might find some anti-fog safety glasses if you look around?

Also... What is 'racket ball'? Is it the Canadian name for tennis? (never heard it here in the UK)