Knee padz with sleeves usually stay up while  knee padz with straps do not

but then you have to remember to put them on before you put your shoes on

which might be asking too much ?

May 10, 2022, 4:58 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Knee padz with sleeves usually stay up while  knee padz with straps do not

but then you have to remember to put them on before you put your shoes on

which might be asking too much ?

You also have to remember to put them on before you put your riding pants on - at least all the modern riding pants that are trim fit with unnecessarily slim fitting cuffs.

May 10, 2022, 6:19 p.m.

I've given up on taking pads on and off while riding. I put them on at the start of the ride and take them off at the end. If they aren't comfortable enough for that I'd ditch them and get something else.

May 10, 2022, 7:55 p.m.

I wear them to the craft brew and then I sleep in them

May 11, 2022, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I've given up on taking pads on and off while riding. I put them on at the start of the ride and take them off at the end. If they aren't comfortable enough for that I'd ditch them and get something else.

Same here.

May 11, 2022, 9:58 a.m.

I ordered a set of the Rapha knee pads and can recommend them as all day long ride comfortable. Rode the Pemby Enduro in them roughly 35km and 2000m climbing and they didn't need re-adjusting once. Also they don't turn you into a billboard, no big white logos on them screaming what brand they are. Just black with a small subtle gloss black logo on the side.

May 11, 2022, 9:59 a.m.

I just wear shorts and have pads with a zipper, so I can just throw them on after the climb. So nice to climb without pads, especially on longer or hotter rides.

May 11, 2022, 7:06 p.m.

On Cam's recommendation: Ankle pads up, knee pads down.

Tried zippers, my take was it's a bit of a pain in the ass taking them out of the pack and sitting on ground putting them on. Especially if the group is impatient. Sometimes total pain in the ass when the zipper fucks up.

Tried riding with pads up, just feel like I'm wearing out the elastic and making them stinky needlessly and have to use fairly minimalist pads. 

Non zippered pads around the ankles, then pull them up and tighten them for the descent has been super easy and effective for me the last few years.

May 12, 2022, 6:20 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Seriously this. Pads should fit. The latest Troy Lee ones I got work really well for me. But I definitely spent a day going to a bunch of shops and trying different ones on. They're so comfortable and fit so well that I put them on with my shoes and leave them on all day, for the drive, climb, descent and getting home again. And they stay in place during crashes. If they can't do that I bought the wrong ones.

May 12, 2022, 6:30 a.m.

I've found the 7iDP Sam Hill pads to be the best at staying put. The Sastec insert is removable for washing and the surrounding padding gives more shin and side-of-knee protection than most.

As far as pants go, the Nukeproof Blackline are really great value if you're already placing a Wiggle/CRC order. Close fitting but super thin and stretchy, keeps pads even more secure.

May 12, 2022, 11:56 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Tried zippers, my take was it's a bit of a pain in the ass taking them out of the pack and sitting on ground putting them on. Especially if the group is impatient. Sometimes total pain in the ass when the zipper fucks up.

I just use two small rubber straps to attach the the pads to my bar, then the straps go in the hip-pack pocket (and reverse when it's time to climb again). YMMV, but the zippers on my IXS Flow Zips have been great, and they're now 4 years old.

May 12, 2022, 6:18 p.m.

I went through 2 pairs of zipped IXS Flows over the years. Great pads. I do like my current non-zip ones better though.

Winter riding in Vancouver I leave the velcro loose and wear them on the climb, the warm kness are lovely. Summer and warmer climates while climbing I wear them on my ankles.

Norco John Henry has loads of them to try on too.

Last edited by: Hepcat on May 12, 2022, 6:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2022, 10:21 p.m.

Posted by: demo7_rider

I've found the 7iDP Sam Hill pads to be the best at staying put. The Sastec insert is removable for washing and the surrounding padding gives more shin and side-of-knee protection than most.

As far as pants go, the Nukeproof Blackline are really great value if you're already placing a Wiggle/CRC order. Close fitting but super thin and stretchy, keeps pads even more secure.

i also have the sam hill pads, they stay on all day, feel just like some cycling knee warmers

May 13, 2022, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

i also have the sam hill pads, they stay on all day, feel just like some cycling knee warmers

Can confirm. I have two pair now so one pair is always dry. I really don’t notice them being too hot even on 30°C days.

May 13, 2022, 10:26 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: Sethimus

Can confirm. I have two pair now so one pair is always dry. I really don’t notice them being too hot even on 30°C days.

If the pants are light enough to be that comfortable in hot weather are they durable enough to provide any real protection? Have you crashed in them and how did they do?

Last edited by: craw on May 13, 2022, 10:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.