Recommendation: Most breathable lightweight mtb pants for summer

May 7, 2022, 2:55 a.m.

Any recommendations for most breathable riding pants? I started to ride in pants all year long since crashing in shorts usually ends with my kneepads sliding down and not doing what they're supposed to do. At moment I got the Endura trail pants, they are nice and have ventilated zippers but the fabric is more on the rugged than lightweight side.

May 7, 2022, 11:52 a.m.

I feel like I'd be inclined to stray outside MTB specific gear for this. 

I would maybe just start browsing for lightweight hiking pants with narrow or adjustable cuffs at the bottom?

May 7, 2022, 3:52 p.m.

New kneepads? There's some that will firmly stay in place. For lightweight pads, I've had some very good tumbles in IXS Flows and they've never moved an inch. For heavyweights the ION K-pacts are basically glued in place on my legs.

May 8, 2022, 9:54 a.m.

I think people buy all of their shit on line to get a smokin deal and when it doesnt fit they can't return it but they did get a great deal on knee padz that don't protect, IMO they all fit different so go to a bike store  to try on all the knee padz to get some that fit and pay list

IME non bike specific shorts or pants blow out pretty quick

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 8, 2022, 9:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2022, 5:07 p.m.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ca/en/leatt-exclusive-trail-2-0-mtb-pants/rp-prod207457

I bought these leatt pants on super sale. They were surprisingly light. I bought them for comox winter and barely used them as they are so light. If a summer pant is what you are after, these would fit the bill.

May 9, 2022, 2:26 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I think people buy all of their shit on line to get a smokin deal and when it doesnt fit they can't return it but they did get a great deal on knee padz that don't protect, IMO they all fit different so go to a bike store to try on all the knee padz to get some that fit and pay list

IME non bike specific shorts or pants blow out pretty quick

why can’t you return it? don’t you have consumer protection laws??

Last edited by: Sethimus on May 9, 2022, 2:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2022, 5:58 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

why can’t you return it? don’t you have consumer protection laws??

If you live in BC the cheap online shops are in the US, UK and EU. You can usually get free shipping with a big enough order, but if you don't like something it's on your dime to send it back. The cost of postage back for a $80 pair of pads makes it unfeasible to return. You can however sell them locally and recoup most of your $$ so it's not a total loss.

Pads are definitely an item where it makes sense to shop locally.

May 9, 2022, 7:42 a.m.

yup this^^

I spent 1/2 an hr trying on 4 brands of knee pads  in 2 sizes,

same with bike shorts and it would appear I'm a sombrio guy

I've returned tires  to CRC and they got lost

May 9, 2022, 8:03 a.m.

Since we are on the topic I'll mention that some brands expect you to deal with warranties through the vendor you purchased from and will not deal with you directly. In those cases you are either buying without a warranty [in practical terms] or you'll have a warranty, but at the cost of significant shipping costs. Something to think about when you consider online shopping vs. buying local.

May 9, 2022, 8:15 a.m.

The NF DP3 is a great all rounder. I'll switch to shorts come summer but I have found myself reaching for them in the closet well into days that were warm enough for shorts but never been bothered by them being too hot. And for me, the best fitting pant I've owned.

May 9, 2022, 8:37 a.m.

I have the 7Mesh pants. Superb. Not cheap though. I can see wearing these into the warmer weather for sun and bug protection. Good riding gear is cut to fit while riding as oposed to some gear that’s cut to fit standing up. Regular hiking pants don’t work so well for riding because the waist will go all plumbers butt when you move back.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on May 9, 2022, 12:30 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2022, 10:29 a.m.

Gonna recommend something out of left field as I'm a cheap-ass when it comes to clothing: https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/products/E448595-000?colorCode=COL08

Cheap, light and stretchy, comfy and hard wearing.

May 9, 2022, 1:44 p.m.

Weird my house is in the blurred background of that first picture.

Half our clothes in the house are from that shop, my wife loves their stuff. Pair of NF pants would be as much a closet full of Uniqlo, but then again it will last forever be top quality and be locally made...

Another thing is if the temperatures in Vancouver get apocalyptic this summer again won't be able to wear pants. True hot temps are shorts only.

May 9, 2022, 3:17 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I have the 7Mesh pants. Superb. Not cheap though. I can see wearing these into the warmer weather for sun and bug protection. Good riding gear is cut to fit while riding as oposed to some gear that’s cut to fit standing up. Regular hiking pants don’t work so well for riding because the waist will go all plumbers butt when you move back.

I just bought a pair of the 7mesh glidepath pants, and they are fantastic.  I bought them specifically for riding in warmer weather.  I have a pair of RaceFace Agent rain pants (now called Conspiracy) that are great for the winter, but anything above 10 degrees Celsius and they are too hot.  The glidepath pants seem light enough that I should be able to wear them except on the hottest days - but that is just speculation at this point...  We've had so much rain lately haven't had a chance to ride in them in nice/warm weather.

But on the topic of kneepads - for the past year and a half I have been using the Chromag 'Rift' knee guards (https://ca.chromagbikes.com/collections/protection/products/rift). Not only do they stay in place, they are comfortable enough to pedal in all day long.

May 10, 2022, 5:05 a.m.

I've had great experiences with both NZO Active Dusters (pants) and IXS Flow Evo+ knee pads. The Dusters also come in zip-off if you want more flexibility.