Recommend me a wheel build

Feb. 18, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

I'm 255#, intermediate-level rider looking to get better, don't want to be held back by a cruddy wheel build.

I have a 2014 Spec Stumpjumper FSR, with XT+203/180 rotors (6-bolt)

looking to keep the wheelset not more than $1k (US) if I can help it.

hubs - Chris King, DT Swiss, Hope, Hadley?
rims - Stan's Flows?

interested in any feedback and ideas. thanks.

Feb. 18, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

Chromag built me Hope Pro 2 Evo's on Flow EX rims for my samurai build last year, they're really good and have held up to a lot of hard riding. Hope has axle adapters too for whatever axle standard you fancy, and regular spokes means you don't have to deal with tracking down expensive proprietary BS if you ever need to replace one, or more.

Feb. 18, 2015, 4:21 p.m.

I'm 255#, intermediate-level rider looking to get better, don't want to be held back by a cruddy wheel build.

rims - Stan's Flows?

If you want to spend at the top end of your budget, and want to get into the carbon game, Jenson has the IBIS wheels at 999.99, presuming that you're running the 29er Stumpy.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Bicycles/Mountain-Bike-Wheels

Otherwise, I think that you'd be happy with any of those hubs laced to Flow EX, or even some of the wider rim from Pacenti or WTB.

If you wanted to save some money and get pre-built, check out the Specialized / Roval Traverse Fattie, $600 and DT rear hub, alloy rims: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/wheels/roval-mtb-all-mountain/roval-traverse-29

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Feb. 18, 2015, 5:08 p.m.

rims - Stan's Flows?

I had some wheels built last year by CRC
hope pro 2 evo hubs
dbl butted dt comp spokes
locking nipples
Wtb frequency i23team rims. If go back 26 front I will get the i25 rim instead(enduro style)
Im riding on 26rear/650b front. Very tough wheelset after a year on them they are still true.
Crc is very affordable for custom sets.700ish if I recall
Could not be any happier with the set, Takes a beating

Feb. 18, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

hey gents, thanks for the responses so far, 'preciate!

yes, i'm on the 29er stumpy

If you wanted to save some money and get pre-built, check out the Specialized / Roval Traverse Fattie, $600 and DT rear hub, alloy rims: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/wheels/roval-mtb-all-mountain/roval-traverse-29

see, in the tech specs, it says that the Stumpy is good for up to 300 lbs, but the Roval wheels are intended to be (paraphrased) "lightweight racing type wheels" and they're only good up to 240 lbs rider+gear. Unfortunately, until I change out my keg for a 6-pack, I won't approach 240 lbs nekkid, let alone geared up

Feb. 19, 2015, 3:33 a.m.

You won't go too far wrong with a Hope and Flow combo, and CRC's builds are amazing value.

That said I did find that when I moved to that combo in 29" I was having to straighten them far more than I did with the same setup on 26". Not a reflection on the rims, more the wheel size I think.

I got some carbon hoops from Nobl (https://noblwheels.com) and they have been bulletproof for nearly a year now. The stiffness was notable (in a good way) over the Flows as well. Just had a look at the website and their prices have gone up a bit, but I would suggest if you are thinking of spending 1K, try and go carbon if you can afford it, the Ibis wheels are meant to be good too.

Feb. 19, 2015, 5:56 a.m.

yup on the Hope hubs , and i like the rims from Spank my OOZY rims have been beat on for a yr now and are still round and true .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 19, 2015, 7:09 a.m.

Another vote for cheap carbon. I'm running a flow ex back wheel and a "light bicycles" carbon wheel front both on hopes. The front carbon wheel is noticeably stiffer, especially on a 29er.

Feb. 19, 2015, 11:24 a.m.

If you want stiff, it's key to build with DT Champion spokes. A Flow EX is sufficient for strength and stiffness but going to butted spokes will greatly reduce wheel stiffness.

If you can stomach the $$$$, hookless carbon rims are stronger and up-size for your needs: get DH layup rims for your all mountain bike.

Feb. 19, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

Im having good luck with Chinese carbon. My rims seem a little different than the run of the mill LB rims with a slightly different profile.

I got the 35mm inner width rims in 650b variety, on lovely I9 hubs. Im 220 without gear, and hammer decent enough. They have been rock solid, albeit a little harsh even.

Noble built them up for me and so far so good.

Tubeless setup is a breeze with gorilla tape.

Feb. 19, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

I'm an intermediate rider as well, 220lbs geared up. My bike came with 26" Stan's Arches EX wheels on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs. I rattled spokes loose and took the wheels out of true multiple this in the first year, mostly at the Whistler Bike Park riding like a fool (duh). Overall they held up surprisingly well for a year based on my not-so-smooth riding style and weight.

My buddy just built up a pair of Flow EX which I will be switching on this weekend, but I anticipate them working really well.

The Hope hubs are awesome, no complaints there. I like the freehub buzzing noise too, but some people don't so keep that in mind.

Feb. 19, 2015, 2:12 p.m.

As a bigger guy on a 29er I found the Flows borderline for gnarlier riding on my 6" bike. Good but not as good as the wide carbon Derbys I bought later. But I'm 215, 230 geared up. On a shorter travel bike the Flows should be fine. I think it would be worth your while to stretch your budget to carbon if you can. Nobl and Derby make some nice affordable rims. Those fat Ibis wheels look nice too, though not sure about the hubs. I would definitely not recommend the Specialized/Rovals - they're built to impress with their light weight not their burl.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 19, 2015, 2:28 p.m.

Another vote for cheap carbon. I'm running a flow ex back wheel and a "light bicycles" carbon wheel front both on hopes. The front carbon wheel is noticeably stiffer, especially on a 29er.

agreed, this is the best bang-for-buck option. i thought the weight limit would be a problem but they claim 120kg

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 19, 2015, 3:25 p.m.

guys, I'm at the weight limit, almost nekkid. I put my gear on, fill up the camelbak, and all of a sudden, I'm over the limit on the carbon wheelset and I'm looking at a catastrophic failure instead of just some heavy wheel flex

darnit….

Feb. 19, 2015, 7:07 p.m.

You won't go too far wrong with a Hope and Flow combo, and CRC's builds are amazing value.

That said I did find that when I moved to that combo in 29" I was having to straighten them far more than I did with the same setup on 26". Not a reflection on the rims, more the wheel size I think.

I got some carbon hoops from Nobl (https://noblwheels.com) and they have been bulletproof for nearly a year now. The stiffness was notable (in a good way) over the Flows as well. Just had a look at the website and their prices have gone up a bit, but I would suggest if you are thinking of spending 1K, try and go carbon if you can afford it, the Ibis wheels are meant to be good too.

Flows are nowhere near as strong at the WTB i23 frequency Hoops. They have a center I beam construction super tough and stay true, would be great for those big Niners:)