Recommend me a bike shop in Edmonton ..........

March 14, 2011, 1:54 a.m.

Got an in-law undergoing a medically mandated lifestyle change, and I've been encouraging him to start doing some cycling.

He's got an old Hammer (think late '80's), but it's gonna' need a shit load of work.

Who are the good guys in town who'll do the work necessary to make his beater ridable w/o giving him a buncha' 'tude or trying to sell him a new bike (ain't gonna' happen).

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 14, 2011, 4:45 a.m.

a 4 hour drive to Jasper and Freewheel cycle. This might still describe RVC, but they're pretty damned big now and might shove attitude everywhere.

March 14, 2011, 12:05 p.m.

Bow Cycle in Calgary.

2 Hours less than Freewheel - and we even have one of the Freewheel mechanics, if that's what you need.

March 14, 2011, 12:20 p.m.

Got an in-law undergoing a medically mandated lifestyle change, and I've been encouraging him to start doing some cycling.

He's got an old Hammer (think late '80's), but it's gonna' need a shit load of work.

Who are the good guys in town who'll do the work necessary to make his beater ridable w/o giving him a buncha' 'tude or trying to sell him a new bike (ain't gonna' happen).

There are a number of good shops in Edmonton; my absolute favorite is definitely Redbike (next to the UofA):

http://www.redbike.ca/

Friendly, knowledgeable, frank, funny, relaxed, and passionate.

Honest without being douchebags: Years of mechanical knowledge packed into a small enough shop to be personally accountable.

They'll give him an honest opinion, upfront quote, and do the work he wants done.

Definitely the shop I would deal with if I lived in Redmonton.

-D

*Edit: Across the street from Redbike is also THE BEST place in Edmonton to get a cup of coffee (just have some time… they don't make it to go).

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 14, 2011, 12:26 p.m.

I would laugh at any bike shop in Edmonton that gives your buddy attitude. The trails in Edmonton just don't demand a cutting edge bike. If anything, you want something a little older, sketchier, to keep things interesting. At least that's my opinion.

In my limited Edmonton bike shop experience, United Cycle is pretty good to deal with. Big and busy, kind of like Bow Cycle, so it might depend on who you talk to. They've been around for decades and don't typically try to up sell. Obviously he'll need a local shop because he won't want to drive to Calgary or Jasper just because he's having some mechanical issues. Edmonton has like a million people, I'm sure they have a few good shops that can help the guy out.

March 14, 2011, 1:16 p.m.

^^ totally. Plus a late-80's bike is relatively simple for any mechanic to overhaul/maintain

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 14, 2011, 4:02 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback, a couple things come to mind -

Rather than worn out and beat to shit I reckon his bike is merely in a state of disuse.
What I know of said in-law I can't imagine he rode it all that much.
He did buy the bike in Edmonton and could take to the OLBS, but Redbike sounds cool + he lives not far from the UofA.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 14, 2011, 10:03 p.m.

-D

*Edit: Across the street from Redbike is also THE BEST place in Edmonton to get a cup of coffee (just have some time… they don't make it to go).

Remedy? Coincidentally also the best Indian food in town. 2nd Red Bike, forgot about them.

March 15, 2011, 9:20 p.m.

Hardcore bikes [HTML_REMOVED] Redbike losers

March 16, 2011, 12:04 a.m.

Remedy? Coincidentally also the best Indian food in town. 2nd Red Bike, forgot about them.

I don't remember what it's called… the Latte's equivalent of the Soup Nazi.

Have to try the Indian next time I am in Old Strathcona. What's the place called?

Hardcore bikes [HTML_REMOVED] Redbike losers

Wow…

Mark and the guys at Hardcore are awesome (I actually have their sticker on my coffee mug!!!) if you are a Hard Core Rider or Racer, looking for a custom build, high-end repair etc…

I'll happily stand by my recommendation in this situation.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 20, 2011, 3:37 p.m.

I'm an edmonton native and my vote goes to Mark and the boys at Hardcore Cycle. Super chill, no upsell and some nice eye candy in the store to check out while you wait. Whyte ave (82nd) and 110 St.

March 20, 2011, 3:38 p.m.

Oh, do not go to United Cycle unless you want to get bent over. Besides size, they have nothing in common with the good guys at Bow, in Calgary.

March 21, 2011, 7:29 p.m.

gotta go with Red Bike, Brent and Cliff are great dudes

March 21, 2011, 8:08 p.m.

I don't remember what it's called… the Latte's equivalent of the Soup Nazi.

Have to try the Indian next time I am in Old Strathcona. What's the place called?

It's called Remedy. Right on 109, about a block after high level bridge.

March 22, 2011, 5:25 p.m.

I left Edmonton last year without looking back, but I'll second Redbike or Hardcore as well. Redbike used to do a lot of business with the commuter crowd, so they've seen a lot of beat up old bikes, and they're chill and friendly. Hardcore was the best shop for high-end parts and service.

The big shops like United, RVC, Revolution, and Western were pretty inconsistent on customer service. Pedalhead was good to me, but you kind of have to prove you know what you're talking about before they give you their A-game