Recommend an AM rim and hub

Feb. 28, 2012, 9:36 p.m.

Hope Pro II Evo on Stans ZTR Flow

built with regular double butted 'J bend' spokes from DT Swiss or Sapim and brass nipples

probably the best option on the market for sheer value for money, light enough for performance riding but also genuinely tough (some riders use these rims for "race day wheels" during DH races)

great durability of hub and rim, easy servicing (all spares for hub readily available including regular cartridge bearings and no stupid tools needed), available stock for rim replacement and ability to use regular spokes and nipples if ever needed from a regular bike store rather than ordering in special

this…

Or for a little more cash upgrade to I9 rear (can't beat the engagement), and a King front. Makes for a wheel nearly as light as the hope/flow combo with faster engagement and great quality (if somewhat expensive).

Feb. 28, 2012, 10:39 p.m.

I broke 7 XT hubs one year…wont ever buy those again, with that said I am a fat ass and some guys run them forever.

Perhaps I am remembering the good old days again like the late 90s when XT stuff was good!

Feb. 28, 2012, 11:19 p.m.

I'll add another plus to the hope hubs. Chainreactioncycles.com sells complete wheel sets laced on hope hubs for a great price.
I run Sun Ringle single tracks on all my bikes with great success (32 hole). They're not too heavy plus they're pretty cheap and strong. I do ride pretty hard though, you could probably run something lighter.
The Stans rims look great, but their pricey. Maybe look into the the lighter Sun Ringle rims on a Hope hub. See what you can find for cheap or even used.

Feb. 29, 2012, 5:24 a.m.

I'll add another plus to the hope hubs. Chainreactioncycles.com sells complete wheel sets laced on hope hubs for a great price.
I run Sun Ringle single tracks on all my bikes with great success (32 hole). They're not too heavy plus they're pretty cheap and strong. I do ride pretty hard though, you could probably run something lighter.
The Stans rims look great, but their pricey. Maybe look into the the lighter Sun Ringle rims on a Hope hub. See what you can find for cheap or even used.

Wiggle has the ZTR (or other rim choice) and Hopes quite a bit cheaper than chainreaction right now; I just compared them

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/mtb/wheels/

Feb. 29, 2012, 8:17 a.m.

Wiggle has the ZTR (or other rim choice) and Hopes quite a bit cheaper than chainreaction right now; I just compared them

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/mtb/wheels/

275 for hopes with a range of rim choices seems really good. Never heard of wiggle before though

Feb. 29, 2012, 9:55 a.m.

What I like about my Hope hubs is I don't need to ring no stinking bell if I'm approaching people/wildlife/your mom. Just stop pedaling et voila they run for cover.

Wrong. Always.

Feb. 29, 2012, 10:31 a.m.

What I like about my Hope hubs is I don't need to ring no stinking bell if I'm approaching people/wildlife/your mom. Just stop pedaling et voila they run for cover.

^^

also works very well when riding in the City, as pedestrians glued to their cell phones go to step off the sidewalk, but hear that crazy loud free hub and halt their pedestrian suicide..

some of my customers used to complain about the loud volume of their Pro II freehub, used to tell them "you are not pedalling enough then.."

Feb. 29, 2012, 9:23 p.m.

this…

Or for a little more cash upgrade to I9 rear (can't beat the engagement), and a King front. Makes for a wheel nearly as light as the hope/flow combo with faster engagement and great quality (if somewhat expensive).

That is really shitty advice

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 29, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

275 for hopes with a range of rim choices seems really good. Never heard of wiggle before though

I've bought a fair bit of stuff from them. Usually arrives in around a week, free shipping.
Never had a problem. Their house brand Dhb is pretty legit, too.

March 1, 2012, 3:28 a.m.

i love xt hubs for their durability and reliability. recently wrecked a freehub after ~5 years of use and it was easy enough to replace - and the bearing grease was like new despite never having been overhauled. my issue is that the axles (on the front at least) aren't interchangeable, which under current circumstances is a pain. i prefer quiet hubs for commuting and road riding but enjoyed having a hugi last year on my xc wheels for how loud it is - perfect for warning hikers on multi-use trails that you're coming through, or as a substitute bear bell

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 2, 2012, 7:18 a.m.

Hope Pro II Evo on Stans ZTR Flow

Done. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

March 21, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

There are too many rims to choose from and manufacturer's websites are poor at explaining the differences between models. I want a rear wheel at least as good as the Bontrager Rhythm I need to replace. Lighter would be good. I run tubes. I am not that hard on the bike, rarely any air, ride on the shore. Suggestions?

I would love a cartridge bearing hub but there don't seem to be any cost effective options unless I am missing something. The cones on my Bontrager hub are scarred and no shop has replacement ones like in the good old days. Are the new XTs as bombproof as they used to be?

Thanks!

The Bontrager wheelset that came on my '08 Remedy was/has been very good. I replaced the rear with a sealed bearing hub/wheel. The front is still going strong.

I bought a Flow/Nukeproof combo for the rear and although it's a few months old it has been good as well

March 22, 2012, 7:17 a.m.

The Bontrager wheelset that came on my '08 Remedy was/has been very good. I replaced the rear with a sealed bearing hub/wheel. The front is still going strong.

I bought a Flow/Nukeproof combo for the rear and although it's a few months old it has been good as well

Yeah, the rim has been good but the bearings didn't do so well in my hub. Interesting that it was a 28 hole setup, and didn't seem to suffer. The new Hope/flow combo is about 190g lighter, and is a 32 spoke wheel.

March 22, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

Yeah, the rim has been good but the bearings didn't do so well in my hub. Interesting that it was a 28 hole setup, and didn't seem to suffer. The new Hope/flow combo is about 190g lighter, and is a 32 spoke wheel.

at a trade event yesterday talking to one of Hope's head mechanics, he said Trek UK guys buying Hope Hoops (pro II evo on ZTR Flow) for their own bikes due to the issue you mentioned…

March 22, 2012, 10:16 a.m.

Wiggle has 20% off right now too.

so the P2Evos and Stans are like $350 delivered.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.