rear tires

Sept. 5, 2019, 5:54 p.m.

DHR's are $50 @ CR right now depending on the size you're after and there are similar deals at other online shops

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 5, 2019, 5:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 5, 2019, 8:21 p.m.

maxx speed - 70 base/62 center/60 side

maxx terra - 70/50/42

maxx grip - 70/42/40

dual - 60/51

Sept. 6, 2019, 2:12 a.m.

@Hepcat, are you sure about the dual? I remember them as 65/50, harder in the center than 60a maxxpro.

Anyway, wouldn't be running either on the shore, but ymmv. 

How are prices for specialized tires at local shops? They have some good ones for the rear, especially the Eliminator.

Sept. 6, 2019, 5:02 a.m.

I find the DHR II Dual unpredictable and not confidence inspiring on the rear wheel. I do like the 3c though.

It works acceptable in loose and loamy conditions, but it slips suddenly on roots and rocks both wet and dusty. 

It doesn’t roll noticeably better than the 3c, too. Wear is reduced a lot though.

The Michelin is a great tire for rough trails, it’s super soft and wears in a couple of days though.

Saving money on tires doesn’t work for me, everytime I put something with harder rubber on my bike, I’ll replace it with some softer tire before it’s worn out because my confidence starts to fade...

The Bontrager SE4 might be something for you? It’s between a 3c and Dual DHR for grip, but does wear slow. It is not a fantastic roller in my experience...

Sept. 6, 2019, 7:43 a.m.

I got  a DHR II on sale from CR delivered by mail in 8 days for the same price as an  LBS pays

Sept. 6, 2019, 7:53 a.m.

Got a bro deal on the Goodyear Newton's.

Have to say like very much..... Just used them at Retallack last week, rode them hard and fast for 3 days in tacky to dry dusty conditions and they slayed. I think they corner better than the DHR. note: The DH casing tire is really heavy. The EN version has a thinner sidewall but perfect for the shore.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Sept. 6, 2019, 8 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 6, 2019, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

The Michelin is a great tire for rough trails, it’s super soft and wears in a couple of days though.

There are two compounds available in the Michelin Wild Enduro. I believe the MagiX is the softer of the two. GumX is harder and supposed to be the higher performance tire. According to Michelin. I’m on the GumX front and rear. Wear rate is very good. Still in good condition after about four months.

Sept. 6, 2019, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

DHR's are $50 @ CR right now depending on the size you're after and there are similar deals at other online shops

Tbsbikeparts.com often has good deals on maxxis, and they're based in Kelowna I think so fast shipping and no weird duties n stuff.

Sept. 6, 2019, 6:36 p.m.

Posted by: Timer

@Hepcat, are you sure about the dual? I remember them as 65/50, harder in the center than 60a maxxpro.

Anyway, wouldn't be running either on the shore, but ymmv. 

How are prices for specialized tires at local shops? They have some good ones for the rear, especially the Eliminator.

Don't work in the industry or a shop just a schmo, could very well be wrong. Had that written down in my bike nerd notes, possible it's old info or copied down incorrectly.

I just scored a DHR2 for the bargain basement price of $0! For the best rear tire deals I recommend having very low tread wear standards and cockroaching your friends old tire after they discard it. Acquisition process can be accelerated by pointing out to friend that their tire is embarrassingly worn and should be replaced.

Sept. 10, 2019, 9:42 a.m.

After plugging a puncture with the bacon strip, I know I have to pull the tire off and patch  the inside of the tire. How long will the bacon last? Tire tread is at 50%, don't feel like pulling it off and making a mess when tire replace is on the horizon.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Sept. 10, 2019, 9:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 10, 2019, 10:54 a.m.

Are any of you guys using the Assegai for general use (not just for DH) - is it overkill or a good all around tire for places like the Shore? Noticed that the new aluminum Ripmo comes stock with Assegai front and rear and it got me thinking about trying it to replace DHF/DHR2.

Sept. 10, 2019, 11:44 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Are any of you guys using the Assegai for general use (not just for DH) - is it overkill or a good all around tire for places like the Shore? Noticed that the new aluminum Ripmo comes stock with Assegai front and rear and it got me thinking about trying it to replace DHF/DHR2.

It’s a good front tire, but I couldn’t imagine pedalling it around as a rear. I think DHF or DHR2 is a better call unless your shuttling or riding chairlifts.

Sept. 10, 2019, 5:24 p.m.

Loving my new E13 TRSr tires (the new ones released a few months ago). Noticeably faster rolling than the previous gen and still tons of grip. Casing feels similar to an EXO+ in the super scientific "hand feel test"....Tried the Assegai too and it's grippy but super slow rolling IMO...

Sept. 10, 2019, 6:17 p.m.

From what i understand magi-x is harder slow rebound casing, more supportive knobs and stickier contact rubber. Slow rolling.

Gum-x softer/faster rebound with harder contact rubber, rolls better.

Ideally you wanna run magix front, gumx rear.

Sept. 10, 2019, 6:57 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

After plugging a puncture with the bacon strip, I know I have to pull the tire off and patch  the inside of the tire. How long will the bacon last? Tire tread is at 50%, don't feel like pulling it off and making a mess when tire replace is on the horizon.

How big was the hole? 

You may never need to patch it. 

I had about 700km on a plug in last tire. Which, in the end, died of natural causes.

See how long it lasts, you might be surprised.