Rear tire recommendations for wet weather North Shore riding - anything better than Maxxis DHR II.

Nov. 9, 2018, 11:12 a.m.

Is anyone running the MAXXIS AGGRESSOR as a winter tire?

Nov. 10, 2018, 1:27 p.m.

I really like the Bontrager SE5, handles great, lots of traction and less expensive than the Maxxis.

Nov. 10, 2018, 8:08 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Is anyone running the MAXXIS AGGRESSOR as a winter tire?

Yes.... on my Trek Slash 9.9... working pretty good in the interior with snow/mud right now.. although its only a 2C tire grip is acceptable.

Nov. 11, 2018, 8:47 a.m.

I was out for a ride yesterday and went down Pangor for the first time in ages. I've got a magic Mary up from and the DHR 3c max terra in the back. The rock faces were wet and sandy = greasy and the tires did great. The rear locked up at one point but it was predictable and did not kick out on me suddenly at all

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 11, 2018, 8:49 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 11, 2018, 10:56 a.m.

Hi

I spent some time on DHR IIs in the following combination:

EXO, 3C 2,35x29

EXO, DC 2,35x29

Double Down, 3C 2,35x29

I started out with Dual compound EXO, then switching to 3C EXO, where I noticed that on tarmac parts (from/to trailhead) it would definitly feel more "gluey" and not as fast rolling. Didn't notice additional rolling resistance too much on dirt.

Ended up with DD and Huck Norris insert eventually (played it safe for a 4-day enduro race). Also there, I got used to the additional weight and stopped to bother too much - so there is definitely an adjustment period at the beginning, whether it continues to bother you depends probably on the mix of terrain you are riding

Nov. 11, 2018, 5:13 p.m.

Aggressor for the shore?

I did briefly last winter - they don't clear mud too well. So while the side knobs engage in the turns well, the straight-line breaking seems to get worse in the wet of the shore. I switched to a DHR II and then to a Mary - both were night and day better than the Aggressor. The Mary is just that bit more stable straight-line breaking - but we are talking the slightest of differences.

Last edited by: Taz123 on Nov. 11, 2018, 5:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 12, 2018, 9:33 a.m.

Running the E13 TRSr front and back for winter. I find them grippier than DHR II's. A bit slower rolling for sure but grip is superior so I'll take that trade off...

Nov. 21, 2018, 5:43 a.m.

Anyone run the DHF WT Maxx grip in the rear for winter?

Nov. 21, 2018, 8:18 a.m.

Posted by: Taz123

Aggressor for the shore?

I did briefly last winter - they don't clear mud too well. So while the side knobs engage in the turns well, the straight-line breaking seems to get worse in the wet of the shore. I switched to a DHR II and then to a Mary - both were night and day better than the Aggressor. The Mary is just that bit more stable straight-line breaking - but we are talking the slightest of differences.

I can confirm that the Aggressor is bad in the mud. I put one on as a rear tire in the Spring and was loving it at first but the first time I rode in the wet/mud (in July) it was totally sketchy.

Nov. 21, 2018, 9:56 a.m.

The Aggressor is not even that great here on the Island on our hard pack. I think that tire is s but of a flop. The New Assguy tire seems to work well over here and be quite popular. I just can't get over the weight of the Assguy.

Nov. 22, 2018, 12:26 p.m.

Assegai in DoubleDown casing (and maybe EXO?) is coming. Tippie posted some DD casing ones on Instagram last night.

Nov. 22, 2018, 11:03 p.m.

I'm having great luck with the new Michelin Wild Enduro's.  Same ones that Sam Hill uses and are only $80 CDN retail.  Lambert just started distributing them.  Maxxis are great tires but $115 is robbery.

Nov. 23, 2018, 12:59 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i see a number of people running the assguy as well, on trail bikes. thirst for something new and different? the youngest lightest guy in our ride has them f/r on a reign and can out climb us all. sometimes i think i'm too fussy about stuff like tire weight when i see guys like this rip in both directions. (maybe i'd be less fussy if i were 22 and a buck 50 soaking wet- but i'm not)  i guess flats and rim damage become a thing of the past with full on dh tires (?)

I feel like there's more too it than flats and rim damage. I've run F/R dh before and the feel of the bike is just better. I remember not braking into corners on microclimate or the two rock rolls, when i would have always pulled on the stoppers. It's almost like it takes away all the micro chatter, definitely much for grip in the dusty conditions i was riding in too...

Nov. 23, 2018, 4:45 p.m.

DH casing is definitely way better for descending in a few ways. More muted/damped feel from the thicker rubber, able to run lower pressure and have less squirm/roll because stronger casing and less dents at lower pressure again thicker casing all around... just have to accept the weight I guess... I deal with EXO to make the climbs slightly better cuz I'm fat.

Nov. 24, 2018, 4:59 p.m.

Minaar on some Sam Hill level industry trolling calling his tyre "The AssGuy"