Rear tire for Spring/Summer

April 14, 2018, 12:08 p.m.

What are you guys planning on using for rear tires once the weather starts to warm up? Looking for something that would be used 60% for pedaling up, 30% shuttling, and 10% bike park in the North Shore & Sea to Sky area. Looking for something that is relatively quick rolling but still burly enough for a few bike park days over the summer. Thinking the DHR2 is probably what I am looking for but I know some other good rear tires have come out in the last few years so wondering if there is anything else worth trying. I've had a DHR2 before and liked it. Last year I was using a Purgatory Grid and like that too but not sure if it would be suitable in the WBP. 

My bike is an Enduro 29er btw.

April 14, 2018, 12:16 p.m.

I keep going back to the Slaughter. Most people don’t give it a chance because it looks sketchy, but it just feels like a tire when riding. Even in the wet, it does fine with our dirt, which doesn’t tend to clog tires too much. The Grid casing is also of ideal weight. And they’re cheap.

April 14, 2018, 5:57 p.m.

Aggressor. Fast yet grippy. It's a miracle of Jesus. If you put your ear right up to it and it's quiet enough you can hear choir music.

Ran a few semi-slicks: Slaughter, a Rock Razor, couple of Minion SS. Addicted to the speed and will continue to run them, but maaaaan, on long steep chutes they are sketchy AF.

April 14, 2018, 9 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Aggressor. Fast yet grippy. It's a miracle of Jesus. If you put your ear right up to it and it's quiet enough you can hear choir music.

Ran a few semi-slicks: Slaughter, a Rock Razor, couple of Minion SS. Addicted to the speed and will continue to run them, but maaaaan, on long steep chutes they are sketchy AF.

The aggressor was one of the new tires that I was curious about. Any idea how it would compare to a purgatory?

April 14, 2018, 11:33 p.m.

🍻

YMMV.

Personally I didn't get along with the Grid casing. Snake skin was too thin and pingy for me too. EXO however has been pleasantly great over many tires now. 

Man, tire needs are really individual though. Casings especially. DC's experience above is fully as valid as mine, yet opposite.

It is fun to explore the brand new world beyong dual ply though. Bring a torch, spear and a digital tire gauge.

April 15, 2018, 8:30 a.m.

I find the Aggressor drifty in the corners and wonders around on roots . I ran a Rock Razor and did not notice it as much . New wheel set will have a HR2 on the back and a Shorty up front .

April 15, 2018, 1:01 p.m.

New E13 TRS+. Better (slightly thicker) casing than EXO, but not quite as thick/heavy as a Maxxis Double Down. The + compound is very grippy, but is also hard enough to wear very well.

April 15, 2018, 7:05 p.m.

🍻

YMMV.

Personally I didn't get along with the Grid casing. Snake skin was too thin and pingy for me too. EXO however has been pleasantly great over many tires now. 

Man, tire needs are really individual though. Casings especially. DC's experience above is fully as valid as mine, yet opposite.

It is fun to explore the brand new world beyong dual ply though. Bring a torch, spear and a digital tire gauge.

Depends which Grid casing. The Purgatory, Ground Control and first gen 27.5 Butchers are a lighter casing. I destroyed a Purgatory Grid in 3 rides.

The latest pre-Griptron Butchers and Slaughters are heavier/thicker, thicker than Maxxis Exo.

I’m not sure about the 2.3 Griptron tires, but the 2.6 Butcher Grid seems like a lighter casing than my Slaughter.

April 18, 2018, 12:14 a.m.

2.4WT DHR II EXO vs. Aggressor EXO as an all arounder Sea to Sky trail bike rear? I run a DHR II 2.4 DH casing on my DH bike and really like it. Trail bike has a HR II EXO single compound right now but I don't like the feel in corner and it slides too easily on rock rolls and roots, getting worn so time to upgrade.

April 18, 2018, 10:10 a.m.

Pretty different ends of the spectrum though eh?  Aggressor for a low rolling resistance tire. Dhr 2 for gription. Both great. 

Btw Aggressor feels better in corners than a HR2, rolls billion times faster.

Or Magic Mary addix? The queen of griptioness.

April 18, 2018, 11:08 a.m.

Pretty different ends of the spectrum though eh? Aggressor for a low rolling resistance tire. Dhr 2 for gription. Both great.

Your Aggressor - HR2 comparison, which compounds were you using? For rear tires, I had an Aggressor on one bike and a HR2 on another bike, both in the harder dual compound. I didn't think the rolling resistance was that different. Cornering felt similar. I preferred how the HR2 cleared mud and sticky dirt. Both were equally not ideal on greasy roots because of the hard rubber.

Last edited by: D_C_ on April 18, 2018, 11:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 18, 2018, 2:31 p.m.

OP here - after riding a slippery Fromme this weekend I remembered how much I appreciate rear tire grip, so I am probably going to go for the DHR2. Do you guys have experience with their new WT widths? My rear rim is a 29mm inner width Flow MK3, and the recommended range for the WT line is 30-35mm. I know I am splitting hairs here, but any idea if the WT width would make sense for me or should I be sticking to the normal 2.3 width?

April 18, 2018, 3:05 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Do you guys have experience with their new WT widths? My rear rim is a 29mm inner width Flow MK3, and the recommended range for the WT line is 30-35mm. I know I am splitting hairs here, but any idea if the WT width would make sense for me or should I be sticking to the normal 2.3 width?

I run DHF 2.5 / DHR2 2.4 WTs on 25 mm rims and they work just fine. On 29 mm they'll be perfect.

April 18, 2018, 7:20 p.m.

get the WT and be done IMO

April 18, 2018, 7:26 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Pretty different ends of the spectrum though eh? Aggressor for a low rolling resistance tire. Dhr 2 for gription. Both great.

Your Aggressor - HR2 comparison, which compounds were you using? For rear tires, I had an Aggressor on one bike and a HR2 on another bike, both in the harder dual compound. I didn't think the rolling resistance was that different. Cornering felt similar. I preferred how the HR2 cleared mud and sticky dirt. Both were equally not ideal on greasy roots because of the hard rubber.

Dual compound. Aggressor is a bit more square. Transition to side knobs on Aggressor feels more intuitive. I've run both tires front and back, same bike. Difference feels fairly stark to me? But again, different strokes. I'm mostly riding in the dry

A glance at the tread height is enough to tell which is faster. Aggressors is pretty quick, but that low knob height comes back to bite you in soft terrain. 

Low rolling resistance tires have major trade offs. But just the same, I'm hooked.