Rear shock? dhx 5.0 vs roco

Aug. 14, 2006, 7:56 p.m.

Building up a 05 norco team dh frame and need a rear shock, i'm just looking for opinions, what's crap what's good etc

looking at either the fox dhx 5.0 or the marzocchi roco.

I've heard dhx is only good for the big hits and crap for small bumps.
I've heard the roco is plush on the small stuff and stiff for the big hits.

:rolleyes: Less bitchin' more ridin', eh! :smokey:

Aug. 14, 2006, 8:24 p.m.

i have a dhx and it feels great in the small bumps, you just have to back off the pro pedal. the nice thing about the dhx for a DH bike is that if you race, you can adjust it better than a roco for the course. if it is fast with a few big drops, crank up the pro pedal and the bottom out adjustment. if it is super technical, back off the pro pedal. the air valve basically adds to whatever you set the pro pedal and bottom out at. basically, it's a three stem system, the pro pedal in the beginning of the stroke, bottom out at the end, and the boost valve connects the two. the roco has no platform, so if technical stuff with nothing that really requires you to hammer on the pedals is what you ride, then the roco might be your best choice. i havn't heard that the roco is too stiff for big hits at all, i have heard that it is just overall plush and smooth. and yes, the roco will be a little better for the small bumps, but the dhx can be as good if dialed in correctly. both are great shocks, just for different types of terrain really.

Aug. 14, 2006, 11:45 p.m.

i have a dhx and it feels great in the small bumps, you just have to back off the pro pedal. the nice thing about the dhx for a DH bike is that if you race, you can adjust it better than a roco for the course. if it is fast with a few big drops, crank up the pro pedal and the bottom out adjustment. if it is super technical, back off the pro pedal. the air valve basically adds to whatever you set the pro pedal and bottom out at. basically, it's a three stem system, the pro pedal in the beginning of the stroke, bottom out at the end, and the boost valve connects the two. the roco has no platform, so if technical stuff with nothing that really requires you to hammer on the pedals is what you ride, then the roco might be your best choice. i havn't heard that the roco is too stiff for big hits at all, i have heard that it is just overall plush and smooth. and yes, the roco will be a little better for the small bumps, but the dhx can be as good if dialed in correctly. both are great shocks, just for different types of terrain really.

I didn't mean too stiff, I ment stiff enough to not bottom out. Thanks for the info though, I'll probably stick with the fox.

Aug. 15, 2006, 7:12 a.m.

I was faced with the exact same choice just a few weeks ago. The Roco is about half a pound heavier than the DHX 5.0, if that matters to you.

I went with the DHX.

Aug. 15, 2006, 1:42 p.m.

roco wrld cup

Cove Peeler For Sale, cheap.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=2717&cat=13

Aug. 15, 2006, 1:45 p.m.

Dhx

Aug. 15, 2006, 6:55 p.m.

I'm plannin on the dhx for adjustability, I've ridden a few bikes with this shock and love it, feels simular to a dirt-bike.

Aug. 17, 2006, 4:57 a.m.

DHX 5.0 easy to setup and so adjustable for different situations, balances sweet with 40's i'm running on front of bike

rob

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Aug. 17, 2006, 9:46 p.m.

DHX 5.0 easy to setup and so adjustable for different situations, balances sweet with 40's i'm running on front of bike

rob

I won't be touchin that fork, not for the price with what I've heard about it, rather pick up a 888 rc2x for 800$ new

Aug. 17, 2006, 9:49 p.m.

are they talking forks?

Aug. 18, 2006, 12:56 a.m.

The Roco is going to be more active.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 18, 2006, 7:39 a.m.

if you live in the lower mainland go roco, cant beat the service!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/