rear shock advice

March 17, 2011, 9:32 a.m.

Have you tried a low volume air sleeve for your RP23? My bike came with a Rockshox monarch, which promply failed. I replaced it with a stock RP23 and had some wallowing and blowing through the travel too easily and what not. I put a low volume sleeve on there and the situation improved a lot. It's a cheap part to buy and super easy to change over.

It's funny, but in the last year or two my awareness of bike handling has entered a new level of subtlety. I don't know why this suddenly happened after 25 years of riding. I used to just ride it and not really notice these things, but now it's all interesting to me. Hence trying different shocks and airsleeves, and reading posts like this whenever they come up.

I have since fixed the monarch, and I will be switching it on and off the bike this summer just to feel the difference.

www.northshorebillet.com

March 17, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

Have you tried a low volume air sleeve for your RP23?

my rp23 has the low vol sleeve. i think that's part of the problem - the rune's suspension is designed to work with a linear shock - coil or high vol air - so mine might be too progressive to get the full range of use. i have to run the pressure pretty low to get much action out of it. but again i think the biggest issue is the compression damping is too firm - hoping to test and overcome that with the new shock

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 17, 2011, 10:25 a.m.

Have you tried a low volume air sleeve for your RP23? My bike came with a Rockshox monarch, which promply failed. I replaced it with a stock RP23 and had some wallowing and blowing through the travel too easily and what not. I put a low volume sleeve on there and the situation improved a lot. It's a cheap part to buy and super easy to change over.

It's funny, but in the last year or two my awareness of bike handling has entered a new level of subtlety. I don't know why this suddenly happened after 25 years of riding. I used to just ride it and not really notice these things, but now it's all interesting to me. Hence trying different shocks and airsleeves, and reading posts like this whenever they come up.

I have since fixed the monarch, and I will be switching it on and off the bike this summer just to feel the difference.

Out of curiosity, what kind of set up is this on?

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

March 17, 2011, 8:08 p.m.

Marin Attack trail. 150mm rear sus. I have a Fox 36 160mm up front.

www.northshorebillet.com

March 21, 2011, 12:51 p.m.

So i have been riding my Intense 6.6 with the DHX air for about 2 years. Always had the DHX tuned and setup by Suspensionwerx. Love the bike and always thought it performed extremely well. Last week I had Suspensionwerx supply and set me up with a new custom tuned RP23. WOW, feels like a totally different bike. Better in every way, pedaling, response and plushness. I am 225lbs so we will see how well it stands up but so far I can't say enough good things about the shock and the service from James and Arthur!