Rapha gear worth the money?

Jan. 5, 2017, 12:12 p.m.

After what feels like ages, I am really excited about cycling again, about building a proper base for the coming season, about making multi-day trips again, riding mtb trails in areas I have not yet been, in short - totally stoked about riding.

I came across Rapha's website while surfing the web, and their stuff is pretty pricey and more geared towards road bike riders.

But some of the stuff is making me curious. I know that some of you are gear junkies, so my question is:

Does anyone of you have any apparel/gear from Rapha. Is it worth the money? Or is it rather overpriced and similar stuff can be had for less money?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 5, 2017, 12:16 p.m.

Yes!

FYI there is a 50% off sale going on at Rapha right now.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 5, 2017, 3:11 p.m.

After what feels like ages, I am really excited about cycling again, about building a proper base for the coming season, about making multi-day trips again, riding mtb trails in areas I have not yet been, in short - totally stoked about riding.

I came across Rapha's website while surfing the web, and their stuff is pretty pricey and more geared towards road bike riders.

But some of the stuff is making me curious. I know that some of you are gear junkies, so my question is:

Does anyone of you have any apparel/gear from Rapha. Is it worth the money? Or is it rather overpriced and similar stuff can be had for less money?

It's nice stuff for sure. My fav road jerseys are all Rapha. I tend to wait for their sales because of the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan. 6, 2017, 3:03 a.m.

Thanks for the replies, I think I might order some stuff, or even go to their Amsterdam shop. Would be a nice bike trip in the spring. Or even over to London. But by bike a bit tricky.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 6, 2017, 7:52 a.m.

The stuff thats on sale seems like s decent deal, particularly the wool, but otherwise its pretty expensive for low tech polyester

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 6, 2017, 8:02 a.m.

Morvelo is another newer UK company that builds some pretty nice stuff that isn't exorbitant.

Jan. 6, 2017, 9:43 a.m.

Giro Synthe - $279.99
Giro Synthe w/Rapha logo - $449.99

Nope, not overpriced at all!

Ride, don't slide.

Jan. 6, 2017, 1:21 p.m.

Giro Synthe - $279.99
Giro Synthe w/Rapha logo - $449.99

Nope, not overpriced at all!

To be fair, the Rapha model has MIPS, and the Giro model quoted doesn't.

A fairer comparison would be

Synthe MIPS: MSRP $270 US http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/helmets/giro-synthe-adds-mips-reduce-head-injuries
Rapha Helmet MIPS: $330 US MSRP per http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/rapha-helmet-special-edition-synthe-mips-48009/ , I can't get the Rapha website to load the US price and can't find a Canadian price for the Giro MIPS helmet.

There is a difference, but it's not a significant ($60USD) as you make it out to be ($170CAD).

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 6, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

My neighbour is a former triathlon racer and swears by them.

Jan. 6, 2017, 2:42 p.m.

I was thinking more about some small bits of winter gear. To get a bib or even a jersey I think trying it is better than buying it online and (maybe) having to send it back due to ill fitting/wrong size.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 6, 2017, 2:43 p.m.

Morvelo is another newer UK company that builds some pretty nice stuff that isn't exorbitant.

Thanks. Did not know about them. Gonna cgeck them out.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 6, 2017, 2:57 p.m.

To be fair, the Rapha model has MIPS, and the Giro model quoted doesn't.

A fairer comparison would be

Synthe MIPS: MSRP $270 US http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/helmets/giro-synthe-adds-mips-reduce-head-injuries
Rapha Helmet MIPS: $330 US MSRP per http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/rapha-helmet-special-edition-synthe-mips-48009/ , I can't get the Rapha website to load the US price and can't find a Canadian price for the Giro MIPS helmet.

There is a difference, but it's not a significant ($60USD) as you make it out to be ($170CAD).

If you're looking for a value that MIPS adds then I give you this example. I just purchased the Smith Variance ski helmet. It comes with MIPS or without. The MIPS version of the same helmet is $45 Can$ more expensive. So if the argument is that it's more expensive because of MIPS then that only goes so far. http://www.smithoptics.com/ca/Root/Men%27s/Helmets/Snow/Variance/p/H17-VCMWLGMIPS/sizeVariants

Jan. 6, 2017, 4:29 p.m.

No doubt Rapha gets a premium mark-up on other brands gear. They used Giro shoes with slight differences and they are more than Giro.

That being said, their bib shorts are easily the best bibs I have ever used on the road.

Jan. 6, 2017, 4:33 p.m.

Chrisc which bibs did you order? Going to pony up and get a pair after your endorsement.
I am quickly realising that some of my bibs need to retire as they are 15+ years old.

Jan. 6, 2017, 4:56 p.m.

I believe I have the classic bibs… I got them four years ago now so I don't remember specifically.