Range KB vs Rune KB

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

ok, so i'm stooping to the ol' bike vs bike posting. so many variables i know, but both these bikes are very compelling. both occupy the same 'space' in the AM market, both are noted for their stiffness, slack geo and DH disposition. both have received rave reviews since their makeover releases this year. i've been able to throw a leg over only the Range (3) for a brief street demo. all things being equal (lets say x-fusion vengance fork on both, same wheelsets, equivalent builds) for 5 marks, contrast and compare these rigs.

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

I've ridden the range kb, a v1 rune and a prime. As you say, new range and rune are quite similar. The differences worth noting are, i think, a higher bb on the rune with 650 wheels, a bit more adjustability with the rune and maybe a slightly heavier frame? And more chaingrowth on the range, which is closer to the original rune in that way. The prime difinitely feels like it has less chaingrowth/antisquat built into the suspension, so I'm guessing that banshee toned it down in all the new models/with the ks link. depending on your preferences re rear suspension/pedalling, this might be worth factoring in. Sounds like you know what you are looking for and either will fit the bill. Both outstanding companies to deal with in my experience

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 5, 2013, 12:42 p.m.

don,t know of anyone with a Rune but all the guys i have chatted with who ride a 650 range/sight love them

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 7, 2013, 7:26 p.m.

i'm bumping this thread as i think these 2 bikes are so dam cool, they deserve some feedback! surely there must be some Rune owners who want to chime in no? at this point i think i'm leaning this way, but it's surely a tough one.

Aug. 7, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

they'd be my 2 top choices. I keep changing my mind. rune with that new ccdb air with the climb switch would be pretty hard to beat

Aug. 7, 2013, 10:22 p.m.

i know i know, that's what i'm saying!!

Aug. 8, 2013, 9:02 a.m.

I have ridden many a Norco (albeit older), tested and rode the original Spitfire (smaller version of Rune V1) and now have a Prime (basically the 29er version of the Rune V2).

The suspension designs work slightly differently, so they feel different.

I have always summarized the FSR style suspension (Norco) as more forgiving - it let's you bang away down the descents without having to work that much. In the past, you really sacrificed pedalling efficiency for this forgiveness. I understand the tweaked version Norco has now improves pedalling without giving up much in the "go downhill" side of things.

The Banshee suspension designs, including the old V54B and the now / new KS Link require a little more attention, and aren't as forgiving - but will go like snot and gain speed as you descend. i.e. compared to an FSR style suspension, you have to go faster to get the full results possible. They will climb more efficiently also - and the KS Link is much, much better at climbing and pedalling than the original VF4B.

I would buy a 650B Rune.

Or the Norco…

It's a pretty hard choice.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 8, 2013, 9:04 a.m.

they'd be my 2 top choices. I keep changing my mind. rune with that new ccdb air with the climb switch would be pretty hard to beat

Imma save my $$ to get the CCDB for my Prime….

and a bigger fork…and stronger rims…and bigger tires.

Gonna make that thing a 29er all-mountain killer.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 8, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

I've been hearing of people riding some burly trails on those primes and luvin them. at my size and agility or lack thereof i'm looking at trying 650b though. the rune has all the numbers i'm looking for just wish they made a rune sl . i'm not a frame breaker and picking up friends carbon vunder bikes have me considering a carbon range if they make one.

Aug. 9, 2013, 5:19 a.m.

me considering a carbon range if they make one.

Not if, but when :)

Aug. 9, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

I've been hearing of people riding some burly trails on those primes and luvin them. at my size and agility or lack thereof i'm looking at trying 650b though. the rune has all the numbers i'm looking for just wish they made a rune sl . i'm not a frame breaker and picking up friends carbon vunder bikes have me considering a carbon range if they make one.

Was chairlift chatting with a guy from WA running the Prime in the WBP. I had originally asked how the Rune was

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 10, 2013, 9:58 a.m.

i'm quite surprised how many guys build up Rune's to be park friendly. i mean it ain't a park bike, and the designer himself will say as much. capable yes, strong enough, probably, but certainly not ideal. there's a local new Rune owner with a Fox 180 and 36.5 pound build. pure freeride big hitter.

i would be targeting about 31 pound build with a Pike fork and i9 wheelset for a trail oriented build. something equivalent to the Range 1 build. from all that i've read it would seem the Banshee may be a better climber/pedaler. that is if i pull the trigger at all, some minor ($$) details to be sorted out…

Aug. 10, 2013, 10:35 a.m.

i'm quite surprised how many guys build up Rune's to be park friendly. i mean it ain't a park bike, and the designer himself will say as much. capable yes, strong enough, probably, but certainly not ideal. there's a local new Rune owner with a Fox 180 and 36.5 pound build. pure freeride big hitter.

i would be targeting about 31 pound build with a Pike fork and i9 wheelset for a trail oriented build. something equivalent to the Range 1 build. from all that i've read it would seem the Banshee may be a better climber/pedaler. that is if i pull the trigger at all, some minor ($$) details to be sorted out…

really hope it works out for you. I've been watching a few at the park and they look comfortable(not twitchy) and plush for 160. seeing that though I wasn't sure they pedalled as well as my 09 rune. I've been amazed how well my rune pedals as well as eat up rough stuff on the down, just wish I could have it lighter. at 33+ lbs and a fairly sensible build i'd like it to be closer to 30. i'd like to see more new rune builds with weights. they look pretty sweet. I keep going back to the rune, they just seem well thought out and banshee has been great to deal with