Raising cockpit height --: Advice Wanted! :)

March 21, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

Hey everyone,

I'm riding a transition covert with a pike

Rear travel:
150mm
Front Travel
140mm

Some have said that having the front end just a tad shorter wouldn't be a huge issue, but I find that I'm having to ''reach'' for the bars when I'm sitting (when I'm standing it's perfect though) and my elbows are straight. As a result, my posture feels compromised and my lower back is really feeling the strain during rides.

I was thinking of a few options.. either..

1. I was planning on getting a fox talas with 160mm anyways (would this solve the issue by raising the front end a bit?)

or

2. Getting a riser bar - I'm currently using RF Atlas Fr bars (only has 0.5'' of rise)

or

3. Something else? spacers maybe?

If you guys suggest 2. What bar would you suggest? Price is not an issue. I would prefer no shorter than 29'' in width.
Was looking at the Easton monkey Lite DH (1.5'' rise) or Chromag Fubars Acute (1'' rise.. but not sure if only 0.5'' more rise would solve the issue)

hope you guys can lend some advice - thanks :)

Cheers

March 21, 2011, 6:26 p.m.

move your saddle forward a bit?

shorter stem?

Check my stuff for sale!

March 21, 2011, 6:28 p.m.

move your saddle forward a bit?

shorter stem?

yea, I tried to tackle it with getting a 35mm stem (previously 50mm) and moved my seat forward as much as I can, it has helped, but still feeling the strain.

Thanks though

March 21, 2011, 6:38 p.m.

New fork wouldn't help because it's the distance between the saddle and bar you need to shrink. If you've tried the shortest possible stem and moved your seat all the way forward and that hasn't solved the problem you need a smaller frame.

nobody is this dumb.

March 21, 2011, 6:45 p.m.

New fork wouldn't help because it's the distance between the saddle and bar you need to shrink. If you've tried the shortest possible stem and moved your seat all the way forward and that hasn't solved the problem you need a smaller frame.

Hmm, but a taller fork, because it is angled and not at 90 degrees to the front wheel, wont it help perhaps a little because essentially the fork is a bit 'closer' to my reach? I see what youre saying , maybe I'm just being a bit too hopeful :P

I fall within the recommendations for the height for the size at hand.. although I understand that those are just estimates.

I've ridden my friend's transition bottlerocket with the same size but It has a riser bar (@ 1.5'') and it feels alright

March 21, 2011, 6:58 p.m.

yea, I tried to tackle it with getting a 35mm stem (previously 50mm) and moved my seat forward as much as I can, it has helped, but still feeling the strain.

Thanks though

If you're running a 35mm stem, and spending enough time pedalling in the saddle to get a sore back, odds are your bike is too big for you…

March 21, 2011, 6:59 p.m.

Hmm, but a taller fork, because it is angled and not at 90 degrees to the front wheel, wont it help perhaps a little because essentially the fork is a bit 'closer' to my reach? I see what youre saying , maybe I'm just being a bit too hopeful :P

you would then be 'reaching' at an angle… still doesn't change distance.

March 21, 2011, 7:04 p.m.

I've ridden my friend's transition bottlerocket with the same size but It has a riser bar (@ 1.5'') and it feels alright

Different frames, and you are too hopeful. Trust me I've bought a frame size to big cause it was a deal and learned real quick that as much as you try to make it work it doesn't.

nobody is this dumb.

March 21, 2011, 7:09 p.m.

If you are looking to lift your bar the easiest thing would be to add spacers under it, assuming you have enough steer tube. But if you are looking to decrease your reach from a seated position, you are pretty much limited to getting a shorter stem and/or moving your seat forward - or if all that fails, you probably need a smaller frame, as saint mentioned.

March 21, 2011, 7:35 p.m.

Do you have an offset seatpost or a straight one? Using a straight post can move you a bit further ahead.

Offset post:

Straight:

bike.

March 21, 2011, 8:09 p.m.

Do you have an offset seatpost or a straight one? Using a straight post can move you a bit further ahead.

appreciate the pics, riding a straight seatpost atm, but good suggestion

odds are your bike is too big for you…

. Trust me I've bought a frame size to big cause it was a deal and learned real quick that as much as you try to make it work it doesn't.

If you are looking to lift your bar the easiest thing would be to add spacers under it

Thanks guys, nice to hear other opinions. I'll try to put some spacers… and push my seat forward even more. Picking up a riser bar tomorrow as well

Gotta try everything I can before targeting a frame size issue. Don't have the money for that atm. :)

Cheers

March 21, 2011, 8:19 p.m.

Narrower bars will also give you an effectively shorter reach. How long are your bars?

flickr

March 21, 2011, 8:58 p.m.

A taller fork will help. It's not as drastic but there is some reach gain.

If the axle to crown height is increased, the entire bike pivots at the rear axle. However, your saddle angle, and therefore position relative to the handlebars changes. Saddle is angled down relative to the frame, in order to stay flat relative to the ground. Meanwhile the bars both come up and back.

That frame was meant to take a 160mm fork anyways. I'd say even though it's the most expensive option, you won't be sorry with the upgrade.

March 21, 2011, 10:59 p.m.

Thanks guys, nice to hear other opinions. I'll try to put some spacers… and push my seat forward even more. Picking up a riser bar tomorrow as well

Gotta try everything I can before targeting a frame size issue. Don't have the money for that atm. :)

Cheers

How tall are you, and what frame size are you riding?

March 21, 2011, 11:36 p.m.

How tall are you, and what frame size are you riding?

I'm riding a size small. Transition says it should fit heights [HTML_REMOVED]5'7'' if i recall correctly. I'm a small lass, about 5'4.5'' (just a bit below 5' 5'').

That frame was meant to take a 160mm fork anyways. I'd say even though it's the most expensive option, you won't be sorry with the upgrade.

this is great to hear. I'd thought that it would give some help to the situation with a taller front end indeed. Thanks kperras

Narrower bars will also give you an effectively shorter reach. How long are your bars?

I cut my bars down to 29.5''