Rain jackets

Nov. 13, 2016, 1:42 a.m.

Arcteryx still has a factory in the van area. If you email them, im sure theyll confirm which products are made there. It will almost surely be the high end stuff. Maybe just get an avalanche bag that inflates an umbrella over you when it starts raining.

There's actually a new Arc'teryx factory in the area that's much larger than the old one. The main hard shell still made in BC is the Alpha SV, which has some great new features this season including a new much more durable face fabric (good for bikers), while other design innovations mean the jacket is actually lighter than ever.

/ad

Nov. 13, 2016, 10:24 a.m.

There's actually a new Arc'teryx factory in the area that's much larger than the old one. The main hard shell still made in BC is the Alpha SV, which has some great new features this season including a new much more durable face fabric (good for bikers), while other design innovations mean the jacket is actually lighter than ever.

/ad

Great info! Thanks and I definitely stand corrected!

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Nov. 14, 2016, 10:37 a.m.

In that price range, you're going to sacrifice either breathability or waterproofness - there just aren't membranes that really do both well at that price. Retail, that is - you could find a deal on a more expensive jacket for sure.

The Race Face Chute is great for waterproofness and durability IMO. Not so great for breathability. Pit zips help. But you're saying waterproofness is less important, in which case I would advise you to seek out a lightweight shell. Referred to more as a windbreaker. I'll have a review out in a bit, but look at Patagonia for example - the Houdini is a great lightweight riding shell IF the fit works for you. I'm 6'1 / 190 and wearing a Medium and it isn't tight, so you have to size carefully. Arc'teryx has a good lightweight shell called Squamish. There are others. But that is the jacket that I think you're after - and you can probably find one for less than 200. It's not going to keep you dry when it starts raining hard but it'll breathe well, keep you warm when you're riding fast down a hill (ie Mtn Hwy after a ride on Fromme) and packs up well.

In an upcoming jacket review or article I'm going to write about owning two jackets. You could argue for spending 200 x 2 vs 400 x 1. One jacket that is waterproof but sacrifices some breathability for torrential "why are you even out here?" days, and one (which you'll use more often) that will keep the windchill off and mild amounts of rain, but won't hold up for more than an hour if it's really raining on you.

There are always sacrifices if you don't want to spend 350+ on one piece (which I totally understand), but there is wisdom in having multiple jackets and tagging in the one that works best given the current conditions.

Thanks for the awesome advice. I also like your 200 x 2 advice re two jackets. I guess it never hurts to have something in the pack for when rainaggedon let's loose, but you're right in your suggestion that I should be looking for a breathable windbreaker as my main jacket.
:couple:

And, once again, for me it's all about having merino base layer so if I'm wet, I'm still comfortable.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 14, 2016, 2:07 p.m.

Anybody have a Marmot Precip jacket?

Looking for something cheap that comes in tall sizes.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Nov. 14, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

Yes. I don't find the Precip membrane to be durable in high wear areas (I've had two of them replaced under warranty due to delamination) but, for the price, it is a pretty good rain jacket.

Nov. 14, 2016, 5:19 p.m.

I had the Precip, but it didn't last long.

Pete mentions the Patagonia Houdini….I assume you mean the Alpine Houdini as there is a (non-Alpine) Houdini that is simply a wind shell and will only repel a short/light drizzle.

Nov. 14, 2016, 7:45 p.m.

Yes. I don't find the Precip membrane to be durable in high wear areas (I've had two of them replaced under warranty due to delamination) but, for the price, it is a pretty good rain jacket.

Yeah I've read some mediocre reviews but $105 CDN taxes in shipped to my door from a Canadian retailer for a jacket with sleeves that might be long enough is too cheap for the Scotsman in me to pass up. Thanks for the reviews.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Nov. 14, 2016, 10:36 p.m.

In an upcoming jacket review or article I'm going to write about owning two jackets. You could argue for spending 200 x 2 vs 400 x 1. One jacket that is waterproof but sacrifices some breathability for torrential "why are you even out here?" days, and one (which you'll use more often) that will keep the windchill off and mild amounts of rain, but won't hold up for more than an hour if it's really raining on you.

I do this and don't think I've worn the proper waterproof jacket for trail riding once since I got a light packable one (mec farpoint). The convenience of having something that packs to the size of a tennis ball is awesome and not over heating as fast. If I get caught in downpour with it, soaked through fairly quick but if I'm riding and have another warm layer it's fine. The fully waterproof jacket just gets bike park duty for the most part.

Nov. 15, 2016, 7:20 a.m.

Bought this.

Works awesome

120.00 taxes in.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-torrentshell-rain-jacket/83802.html?dwvar_83802_color=BLK#q=torrent%2Bshell[HTML_REMOVED]lang=en_US[HTML_REMOVED]start=1

Vents under arms, packs in backpack, takes little space.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Nov. 15, 2016, 9:20 a.m.

That's pretty much Patagonia's equivalent of the Marmot PreCip. At that price point, there probably isn't much difference between the performance of the H2No and NanoPro membranes. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're actually the same thing.

Nov. 15, 2016, 10:26 a.m.

That's pretty much Patagonia's equivalent of the Marmot PreCip. At that price point, there probably isn't much difference between the performance of the H2No and NanoPro membranes. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're actually the same thing.

Probably made in the same factory overseas. Kind of like our bikes.
Used it in the pissing rain and worked just fine.

Nov. 15, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

I had the Precip, but it didn't last long.

Pete mentions the Patagonia Houdini….I assume you mean the Alpine Houdini as there is a (non-Alpine) Houdini that is simply a wind shell and will only repel a short/light drizzle.

You're right, I did mean the Alpine Houdini - thanks for pointing that out.

The regular Houdini would still be great for a lot of days here on the shore, when rain seems imminent but never quite comes until at least midway through the ride. Yesterday was dry but cool and for the very fast ride down Mtn Hwy at the end - think windchill of 60 kph - the Arc'teryx Squamish that I was wearing (which is as thin as the regular Houdini) kept the wind from getting through. For prolonged exposure in those conditions (wind while you're sweating, not to mention rain), you'd want more protection for sure. But a jacket that folds down to the size of a pop can will always fit in a hip pack, or even a SWAT pocket.

Again, you probably need two different jackets if you ride all year round on the shore.

Nov. 15, 2016, 11:01 a.m.

I do this and don't think I've worn the proper waterproof jacket for trail riding once since I got a light packable one (mec farpoint). The convenience of having something that packs to the size of a tennis ball is awesome and not over heating as fast. If I get caught in downpour with it, soaked through fairly quick but if I'm riding and have another warm layer it's fine. The fully waterproof jacket just gets bike park duty for the most part.

It's worked surprisingly well for me, too. There are days when you wake up and just know you're going to need the burly one - but you usually get a couple days' warning around here when it's going to be that bad. Otherwise, until we get into true winter conditions (btwn -3 and 4 above) that lightweight jacket will work well if you layer properly.

Nov. 15, 2016, 11:42 a.m.

But you're saying waterproofness is less important, in which case I would advise you to seek out a lightweight shell. Referred to more as a windbreaker. I'll have a review out in a bit, but look at Patagonia for example - the Houdini is a great lightweight riding shell IF the fit works for you. I'm 6'1 / 190 and wearing a Medium and it isn't tight, so you have to size carefully. Arc'teryx has a good lightweight shell called Squamish. There are others. But that is the jacket that I think you're after - and you can probably find one for less than 200. It's not going to keep you dry when it starts raining hard but it'll breathe well, keep you warm when you're riding fast down a hill (ie Mtn Hwy after a ride on Fromme) and packs up well.

This is my approach when I am running. I sweat a lot and there is virtually nothing that will keep me dry when I am out for a run. Stick the jacket on when I leave pack it away when I warm up and then stick it on for the walk home. Works well. I like that the shell doesn't get too bogged down with water either.

Nov. 15, 2016, 12:32 p.m.

So switch to what do you wear in the rain from the waist down?
Me: Knicker shorts, winter shorts over top. Knee pads, merino ski socks pulled up to under the pads. Winter shoes. I get wet below but even in 1 degree rain I am more than warm enough, just wet.

Was wearing winter tights before, but find I get too warm in them. Just use them for nordic skiing.