Rain jackets

Oct. 22, 2016, 1 p.m.

http://www.dirtlej.com/clothing

/thread

My first response was…wtf, this is stupid. But the more I think about it the more sense it makes…I bet they are super comfy.

Oct. 22, 2016, 1:38 p.m.

yeah makes sense , right up until the time you have to take a trail side dump , in the pissing down rain with no over head coverage .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 23, 2016, 7:19 p.m.

I would love a nice water/wind proof vest with lots of pockets , I prefer a vest over a jacket , especially on days like today . It could rain or it could be drizzle all day , perfect vest weather .

In regards to the jersey you mention , I have hinted many a time to people I know in the clothing biz this is a untapped market , gimme a 3/4 jersey like this and a quality vest and some merina wool base layers and that,s my perfect outfit for 80% of the ugly months .

Just following up on this. I had a Gore Bike Wear jacket with their 'Active' membrane and a nice surface fabric that is soft to the touch. Really disliked the fit of the jacket and found it stifling in most conditions (no pit-zips) for layered dressing. Generally never wore it as I vastly prefer my Polartec Neoshell jacket.

Had the sleeves removed and everything stitched up nicely to use it as a waterproof vest. Maybe not for everyone but it is now my go-to for any day that has a chance or rain but is not a guaranteed downpour. Layers really well with a merino base layer with or without a long sleeve jersey (weight depending on temperature) and rolls up notably smaller sans sleeves if I want to just throw it in my pack when the sun comes out.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 23, 2016, 8:03 p.m.

Anyone who commutes with a pack wearing gore have problems with the pack wearing the gore coating off? I was at the arc'teryx sample sale and I saw the norvan jacket. It looked pretty sweet as a commuter jacket. It's the lightest goretex jacket probably ever made and it packs down to something smaller than an orange. But someone said the new goretex active coatings are not as abrasion resistant as the older gore. So if you wear the norvan with a pack your going to wreck the waterproofing. So what's everyone else's experience with packs and goretex?

Oct. 23, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

Norvan or Norvan SL? Norvan SL uses a new version of Gore Active which doesn't have the face fabric so using a pack would wear away the coating. You would be fine with any other of the Active fabrics that have the outer fabric.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Oct. 23, 2016, 9:50 p.m.

Norvan or Norvan SL? Norvan SL uses a new version of Gore Active which doesn't have the face fabric so using a pack would wear away the coating. You would be fine with any other of the Active fabrics that have the outer fabric.

I guess it was the SL.

Oct. 23, 2016, 10:42 p.m.

http://www.dirtlej.com/clothing

/thread

I'm torn between asking WTF and thinking that this would actually be awesome for north shore winter riding.

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:15 a.m.

I guess it was the SL.

Any of the Gore-tex fabric's will work great with a pack just not the Active fabric with the shakedry technology. Gore-tex is up front about that though.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Nov. 3, 2016, 6:55 p.m.

Has anyone tried the Sugoi RSX jacket? I remember it had a big fanfare on release but I havn't seen anyone wearing one. Meant to be crazy breathable. Problem is it's $350. That seems like too much to spend on a mountain biking jacket when you're going to fall and scuff/rip the thing.
My Race Face Chute has stood up to a hell of a beating. It's not the most breathable but good enough for me. But then I dunno any different not having tried the bling stuff

Nov. 3, 2016, 9:59 p.m.

Just following up on this. I had a Gore Bike Wear jacket with their 'Active' membrane and a nice surface fabric that is soft to the touch. Really disliked the fit of the jacket and found it stifling in most conditions (no pit-zips) for layered dressing. Generally never wore it as I vastly prefer my Polartec Neoshell jacket.

Had the sleeves removed and everything stitched up nicely to use it as a waterproof vest. Maybe not for everyone but it is now my go-to for any day that has a chance or rain but is not a guaranteed downpour. Layers really well with a merino base layer with or without a long sleeve jersey (weight depending on temperature) and rolls up notably smaller sans sleeves if I want to just throw it in my pack when the sun comes out.

Where did you get this done FYI? I have an older gore jacket that I'm looking to do the same thing with.

Nov. 3, 2016, 10:23 p.m.

Love this idea Drew. I hate it when my core is rainsoaked but I really don't mind if my arms are. Oddly enough (or not), I seem to get an awful lot of cooling from my arms.

Nov. 4, 2016, 4:35 a.m.

yeah makes sense , right up until the time you have to take a trail side dump , in the pissing down rain with no over head coverage .

lol. i pictured that one..still chuckling..

Nov. 4, 2016, 7:45 a.m.

Love this idea Drew. I hate it when my core is rainsoaked but I really don't mind if my arms are. Oddly enough (or not), I seem to get an awful lot of cooling from my arms.

Since I had my superfluous Gore jacket turned into a vest it's been my most used piece of kit - more than a helmet, shoes, etc.

It's been a great use of my underutilizes jacket and where I used to find (sweat machine) it had to be pretty cold or really wet to ride in Active Shell temperature control is perfect. Downpour or even guaranteed all day rain I'm still rocking my Neo Shell jacket but misty on/off shore days my vest is best.

Sherry @ Sateen on Lonsdale who repairs my shorts/other gear took the arms off and stitched it up pro. Looks like it was a production piece. She's in the medical building on the east side of Lonsdale at 20th (across from LD). Tiny space in the retail frontage. Under $20 out the door for the job.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Nov. 4, 2016, 9:01 a.m.

Has anyone tried the Sugoi RSX jacket? I remember it had a big fanfare on release but I havn't seen anyone wearing one. Meant to be crazy breathable. Problem is it's $350. That seems like too much to spend on a mountain biking jacket when you're going to fall and scuff/rip the thing.
My Race Face Chute has stood up to a hell of a beating. It's not the most breathable but good enough for me. But then I dunno any different not having tried the bling stuff

The Sugoi is by far way way better than the Chute. I wear my Sugoi a lot. It is standing up well although I did have pocket seam failure on my first one which was quickly warranted. One of those glued seams on the rear pocket. I had a Chute before the Sugoi and the draw cord failed the first week and needed to be repaired under warranty. But that jacket wetted out after a couple weeks use. In my experience no name membrane fabrics are total shit.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 4, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

I have a dakine jacket that is the "bomb" stretch gorete the hood even fits OVER my helmet and zips up to my chin but i rarely wear it. Mostly I wear a soft shell water repellent jacket and carry a Sugoi riding vest for a little extra core warmth and wind proofing.
Riding vests are awesome. I wish somebody made a mtb specific vest that does not fit tow sizes smaller not two sizes smaller than rated and cost a car payment. (hello gore bikewear)