Rain jackets

Sept. 19, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

It,s one thing to clear a blocked drain , or clear branches and trees off a trail

But I would never suggest some grab a shovel and start throwing dirt on their favorite trail , unless you are involved with said builder and they are aware of you doing work on their trail !!!

+1

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 19, 2016, 7:38 p.m.

This may sound like a stupid/overly general question, but for those of you that ride in the rain regularly - do you have any tips as to how to do it successfully?

I find for me it's tough because I am usually too hot to wear any sort of waterproof jacket (even high end "breathable" goretex jackets), and if the temperature is cold enough to wear the jacket, then any more than a light amount of rain will get too cold once the rest of my body (feet, head, hands, lower body) gets drenched. I find that there is a very small sweet spot between the amount of rain and temperature where I am able to have a successful ride in the rain.

I still ride a lot throughout the winter but I'm usually paying close attention to the weather report and am reluctant to ride if there is more than light rain.

Humidity is tough to deal with especially if you sweat lots .

If it is just cold and not raining I wear polar fleeces is layers with a vest , when it,s pouring rain I wear merino layers under my jacket .

You still get wet from sweat but still maintain warmth when stopped and when blasting down the fast sections .

Good gloves , and a skullcap toque help lots for keeping the body warm , same with socks , I have had my shoes full of water but my feet are comfortable thanks to wool socks .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 20, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

It,s one thing to clear a blocked drain , or clear branches and trees off a trail

But I would never suggest some grab a shovel and start throwing dirt on their favorite trail , unless you are involved with said builder and they are aware of you doing work on their trail !!!

agreed but lots of trails don't have owners.

:canada:

Sept. 21, 2016, 12:26 a.m.

it can be tough to say when one is going to far in terms of univited trail work. i agree that clearing drains, branches, etc is kind of a no brainer, but sometimes more involved work can be welcomed as well. things like blocking braids, closing off a broken structure or possibly even replacing a broken rung/slat or two would all be okay from my perspective. as too would be throwing dirt into a mudhole or beefing up a berm or rutted corner. however, doing work that alters the trail is something that should be cleared with the builder first. like jerry-rig says tho, there are some trails that don't have a dedicated builder so in those instances it can be better for someone who's experienced to take initiative and patch things up if need be.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 22, 2016, 7:37 a.m.

Ok how about Ditka vs, hold on hold on… a hurricane named Ditka??

![](http:// http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQc64pwIh4jk3QbWwTvfW608fLy_7ItPX9Qw9EewqUCq9vxTCcD)

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 30, 2016, 10:43 a.m.

This may sound like a stupid/overly general question, but for those of you that ride in the rain regularly - do you have any tips as to how to do it successfully?

I find for me it's tough because I am usually too hot to wear any sort of waterproof jacket (even high end "breathable" goretex jackets), and if the temperature is cold enough to wear the jacket, then any more than a light amount of rain will get too cold once the rest of my body (feet, head, hands, lower body) gets drenched. I find that there is a very small sweet spot between the amount of rain and temperature where I am able to have a successful ride in the rain.

I still ride a lot throughout the winter but I'm usually paying close attention to the weather report and am reluctant to ride if there is more than light rain.

Many people overdress and end up sweating, reducing the effectiveness of whatever it is they're wearing. What are you wearing under your jacket? If it's btwn 5-9 degrees and raining, I will wear a jacket over top of a thin, long-sleeved wool layer, OR an undershirt and jersey. If it's colder, I switch to a thicker merino layer, or two thin merino layers, or merino layer under jersey - those all work for me. Add wool socks, bring an extra set of gloves and I'm set.

Cold and dry is easy to dress for. Cold and wet - i.e. btwn 4 and -1 - is the hardest, but if I can keep my feet relatively warm/dry, the top is similar to what I wrote above.

"Be bold, start cold" also applies to rainy days in our neck of the woods, especially since we ride in the protection of thick forests, so wind isn't a factor.

Sept. 30, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

"Be bold, start cold" also applies to rainy days in our neck of the woods, especially since we ride in the protection of thick forests, so wind isn't a factor.

this
Ill often ride around 0 degrees in just a long sleeve merino if its dry. Once you get moving you'll be sweet. Also backpack free helps as you won't get that sweaty patch from the pack, so won't get cold instantly when you stop.

Sept. 30, 2016, 5:58 p.m.

Many people overdress and end up sweating, reducing the effectiveness of whatever it is they're wearing. What are you wearing under your jacket? If it's btwn 5-9 degrees and raining, I will wear a jacket over top of a thin, long-sleeved wool layer, OR an undershirt and jersey. If it's colder, I switch to a thicker merino layer, or two thin merino layers, or merino layer under jersey - those all work for me. Add wool socks, bring an extra set of gloves and I'm set.

Cold and dry is easy to dress for. Cold and wet - i.e. btwn 4 and -1 - is the hardest, but if I can keep my feet relatively warm/dry, the top is similar to what I wrote above.

You have to consider the group you ride with when dressing as well . If you are constantly moving one can wear less more effectively .

But if one is having to wait around for others on the trail one would dress warmer IMO .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 2, 2016, 3:57 p.m.

You have to consider the group you ride with when dressing as well . If you are constantly moving one can wear less more effectively .

But if one is having to wait around for others on the trail one would dress warmer IMO .

Definitely. I'd say I dress differently when riding alone (never stop) vs. with a group - and then depends on group.

How many of you wear undershirts? Whether a euro roadie style mesh version (think cheesy nightclub mesh shirt) or a tighter knit one, whether poly or thin merino? I find they make a huge difference for shoulder season rides by getting sweat away from your skin (expediting the wicking process done by your jersey) or if you'll be in variable conditions.

If you have sweat/thermal regulation challenges, consider giving one a try. I have one from Defeet that works well, but honestly, there's not much to it - something snug that wicks is all you need. It helps.

Oct. 2, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

Definitely. I'd say I dress differently when riding alone (never stop) vs. with a group - and then depends on group.

How many of you wear undershirts? Whether a euro roadie style mesh version (think cheesy nightclub mesh shirt) or a tighter knit one, whether poly or thin merino? I find they make a huge difference for shoulder season rides by getting sweat away from your skin (expediting the wicking process done by your jersey) or if you'll be in variable conditions.

If you have sweat/thermal regulation challenges, consider giving one a try. I have one from Defeet that works well, but honestly, there's not much to it - something snug that wicks is all you need. It helps.

I have worn wife beaters in the past under a fleece . The RF stash vest was my go to base as well , but noticed my core and skin was very cold with it . With the fabric of the stash vest it chilled my core so much that I felt ill for a couple days that last few times I wore it so it,s been retired .

I typically wear a sleeveless athletic material shirt as a base in the cooler months , then add a wool or fleece depending on the day .

Yesterday I did a 10k loop at Bear and the weather was cool and off and on rain showers . I packed the jacket from Marks I got the other week and for the 1st half of my climb put it to the test . For what I paid it is $$$ well spent and will get good use this fall and winter .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 20, 2016, 10:56 p.m.

http://www.dirtlej.com/clothing

/thread

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 21, 2016, 1:26 p.m.

Anyone know what the differences between the Raceface chute and agent jackets are? I see that the chute is 3 layer vs 2.5 for the agent?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Oct. 21, 2016, 8:01 p.m.

Anyone know what the differences between the Raceface chute and agent jackets are? I see that the chute is 3 layer vs 2.5 for the agent?

Just talking to RF about this today. The Agent is a soft shell and a bit warmer than the Chute, but the Chute has better water repellency. Depends on your locale as to the better choice.

Oct. 22, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

http://www.dirtlej.com/clothing

/thread

how absolutely fucking weird is this???? is it april 1 or what?

Oct. 22, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

how absolutely fucking weird is this???? is it april 1 or what?

That's sick! Just ordered one.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch