Rain jackets

Sept. 17, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

I should've kept that navy reversible Kona vest with the 👍🏽 from the 90s.

I have a few merino long sleeves and short sleeves I'll throw on under. Or I'll wear the I/O BIO hooded merino undershirt I wear for skiing.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 17, 2016, 1:31 p.m.

A waterproof vest makes no sense for most people. I tend to agree with that sentiment because if it's wet enough to need a waterproof vest, you'll want sleeves as well especially for the wet branches and shrubs. I find a cheap wind vest is ample for when it is just cold out and I need wind protection for descending or road riding.

There are also some interesting soft shell water resistant jerseys out there. I bought a Castelli Gabba a few years ago. Excellent for showery weather. So good that pros that were not sponsored by Castelli bought their own and blacked the logos. Castelli actually sold a version of the jersey that came with a felt pen. They also have a short sleeved version. They are form fitting though. 7mesh have something similar. Good thing to have in ones drawer though.

What I want is a jacket with large holes on the shoulders to show off my tats all year.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 17, 2016, 4:34 p.m.

A waterproof vest makes no sense for most people. I tend to agree with that sentiment because if it's wet enough to need a waterproof vest, you'll want sleeves as well especially for the wet branches and shrubs. I find a cheap wind vest is ample for when it is just cold out and I need wind protection for descending or road riding.

There are also some interesting soft shell water resistant jerseys out there. I bought a Castelli Gabba a few years ago. Excellent for showery weather. So good that pros that were not sponsored by Castelli bought their own and blacked the logos. Castelli actually sold a version of the jersey that came with a felt pen. They also have a short sleeved version. They are form fitting though. 7mesh have something similar. Good thing to have in ones drawer though.

What I want is a jacket with large holes on the shoulders to show off my tats all year.

I would love a nice water/wind proof vest with lots of pockets , I prefer a vest over a jacket , especially on days like today . It could rain or it could be drizzle all day , perfect vest weather .

In regards to the jersey you mention , I have hinted many a time to people I know in the clothing biz this is a untapped market , gimme a 3/4 jersey like this and a quality vest and some merina wool base layers and that,s my perfect outfit for 80% of the ugly months .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 17, 2016, 5:51 p.m.

I would love a nice water/wind proof vest with lots of pockets , I prefer a vest over a jacket , especially on days like today . It could rain or it could be drizzle all day , perfect vest weather .

In regards to the jersey you mention , I have hinted many a time to people I know in the clothing biz this is a untapped market , gimme a 3/4 jersey like this and a quality vest and some merina wool base layers and that,s my perfect outfit for 80% of the ugly months .

You could do a jersey with gore membrane front and back, pockets for stuff and water resistant sleeves. I think one issue people have with rain jackets not breathing well is that they have one in the pack, it starts to rain and they put that extra layer then wonder why they are sweating. If you had a garment you put on as you started the ride that wasn't clammy and kept the rain at bay you'd have that magic thing. The neoshell is close for me. It breaths kind of like a nylon wind shell and about as warm, but quite waterproof.

Vest http://ca.dakine.com/p/ski/technical-backpacks/heli-vest

I have a North Face version of this for lift skiing for the short hikes out of bounds. I don't know if these are waterproof enough or at all.

It's a difficult weather to dress for and for designers to come up with something. Especially because you get the Andrews of the world that sweat like a Gardena lawn sprinkler ( I am an Andrew) and others that are the opposite end of the fluid exudance spectrum.

Sept. 17, 2016, 6:23 p.m.

http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear/men/jackets-vests/element-windstopper-active-shell-vest/VWLELE.html?cgid=gbw-men-geartype-jackets-vests[HTML_REMOVED]dwvar_VWLELE_color=3500[HTML_REMOVED]start=1

would prefer a vest more like this with some pockets in the back and a couple more around the waist .

That Dakine looks like a water skiers life vest , it does have a nice selection of pockets though .

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Tops/Jerseys/ALPHA-WIND-JERSEY-FZ/p/451451615A

was digging around on the Castelli site , this and the Gabba are must have shirts IMO great base layer when combined with a vest and or light breathable shell in the rain

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 17, 2016, 8 p.m.

The Gabba is intended as an outer layer for cold wet spring road races so that riders did not have to go back to the team car to get or drop off rain jackets. They could just race. Mine has a couple zip vents at the front. Also good when you hit the Horton's and have too many maple glazed. It is super functional at around 10°C plus or minus a few degrees with a long sleeved base for cooler and sleeveless for warmer days. Just took the wee dog out for a pee in light rain. Which reminded me of a wool hoodie I got for half price at Icebreaker a few years back. It has a water resistant application. A wool riding jersey with that would be awesome. Then there is this Voormi stuff. ,http://voormi.com/pages/technology?tech_slide=3 interesting stuff. I have seen a hoodie of theirs. Too warm for riding but still. I like the direction.

Sept. 17, 2016, 8:14 p.m.

The Gabba is intended as an outer layer for cold wet spring road races so that riders did not have to go back to the team car to get or drop off rain jackets. They could just race. Mine has a couple zip vents at the front. Also good when you hit the Horton's and have too many maple glazed. It is super functional at around 10°C plus or minus a few degrees with a long sleeved base for cooler and sleeveless for warmer days. Just took the wee dog out for a pee in light rain. Which reminded me of a wool hoodie I got for half price at Icebreaker a few years back. It has a water resistant application. A wool riding jersey with that would be awesome. Then there is this Voormi stuff. ,http://voormi.com/pages/technology?tech_slide=3 interesting stuff. I have seen a hoodie of theirs. Too warm for riding but still. I like the direction.

Your full of gold for clothing Thanks !!!

Voormi has some nice stuff for hiking and such have to check them out as well .

Did some digging around on the Endura site and they have a couple of nice vests , windproof/waterproof and have some rear pockets as well Caps can get them and they have the one that interests me on sale as well .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 18, 2016, 8:10 a.m.

Anybody tried the new Raceface Agent? See this hit the shelves recently.

Sept. 18, 2016, 8:51 a.m.

It's a difficult weather to dress for and for designers to come up with something. Especially because you get the Andrews of the world that sweat like a Gardena lawn sprinkler ( I am an Andrew) and others that are the opposite end of the fluid exudance spectrum.

I used to skate-ski with a guy who literally did not sweat. It was very alien-ish.

Sept. 18, 2016, 2:25 p.m.

Was at Marks in MR today and was checking out jackets , they have some FARWEST rain jackets that are reg $180ish and they are on sale for $65 ish . They don,t have pit vents , but all the seams are sealed , it has a high collar and a hood , and has 1 chest pocket and 2 waist pockets . For the price it was too cheap to pass up as a back up jacket .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 19, 2016, 7:17 a.m.

For 65 for could just butcher your own pit zips into it

Merino is great but not very durable. A poncy jacket might be cheaper in the long run

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 19, 2016, 11:21 a.m.

This may sound like a stupid/overly general question, but for those of you that ride in the rain regularly - do you have any tips as to how to do it successfully?

I find for me it's tough because I am usually too hot to wear any sort of waterproof jacket (even high end "breathable" goretex jackets), and if the temperature is cold enough to wear the jacket, then any more than a light amount of rain will get too cold once the rest of my body (feet, head, hands, lower body) gets drenched. I find that there is a very small sweet spot between the amount of rain and temperature where I am able to have a successful ride in the rain.

I still ride a lot throughout the winter but I'm usually paying close attention to the weather report and am reluctant to ride if there is more than light rain.

Sept. 19, 2016, 11:30 a.m.

if it's raining… good time to pick up a shovel and clear some drains, throw some gold on your favorite trails.

:canada:

Sept. 19, 2016, 1:07 p.m.

if it's raining… good time to pick up a shovel and clear some drains, throw some gold on your favorite trails.

My preference too. I like to give at least 24 hours after heavy rains before riding. Winter is a good time to ride less and dig more.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 19, 2016, 7:31 p.m.

It,s one thing to clear a blocked drain , or clear branches and trees off a trail

But I would never suggest some grab a shovel and start throwing dirt on their favorite trail , unless you are involved with said builder and they are aware of you doing work on their trail !!!

#northsidetrailbuilders