Rain jackets

Sept. 15, 2016, 12:58 p.m.

is the hood removable ? I really like the collar similar to my Bontrager jacket

Yes on the Sugoi and Acre.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 15, 2016, 1:20 p.m.

any experience or comments on the Bontranger Lithos or Evoke storm shells? I dont need to worry about coastal type monsoon rains but would be for cool/cold fall riding when raining moderately.

Mine looks like it is a earlier version of the Evoke(2012/2013) from the looks of it , it,s a decent jacket , best worm with layers , been subzero with some decent gloves and a couple thin merino base layers topped off with a fleece .It does get sweaty on long climbs even with pit zips , but it has decent wind blocking abilities , with the season upon us I should reseal the jacket and Altura shorts I use in the wetter months .

My kid has a Specialized jacket and it looks to be thinsulated , it has a second layer that is reflective , he really like the jacket was over $300 when he bought years back .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 15, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

Update:

I found a brand new with tags 7mesh Revelation on the other bike website for $200 USD shipped, seemed like a no-brainer. I'll report back when it arrives and I have some real world testing (Pemberton fall and North Shore/Squamish winter).

Hoping that it's good enough for everyday non-bike use too, but we'll have to see on that.

Sept. 16, 2016, 8 a.m.

Thread jack: Any options for the non trust fund deadbeats like me that don't feel like your wearing a hefty bag?

my buddy does the same. foregoes the rain jacket all together in favour of merino wool layers.

I have some friends who ride in an MEC special or RaceFace Chute or equivalent (sub $200 'waterproof breathable') with the pit zips open and have no complaints but personally (sweaty-A-F) I wasted a lot of money on jackets before just going the Merino route. Generally with a shell in my pack in the event it got too wet/cold. Fact is I'd rather be wet from rain than sweat.

My Polartec Neo Shell jacket is fantastic (in my case a Mission Workshop jacket) and it's the material I recommend for sweaty dudes.

I have a few friends who picked up MEC Flight Check jackets - which are also Neo Shell - for half price (*edit: one is an MEC Alpine Variant… Don't know the difference). They have larger pit vents than my Mission and the hoods are removable but not easily re-attached if you know what I mean, but Neo Shell is Neo Shell so if it's me looking for a super breathable jacket on a budget I'm looking for the cheapest shell I can find that fits from whatever brand using Polartec Neo Shell.

I'm amortizing a jacket over years (and don't mind riding patched/repaired gear) so the extra money for a Vancouver made Mission shell was worth it for me.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 16, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

I have some friends who ride in an MEC special or RaceFace Chute or equivalent (sub $200 'waterproof breathable') with the pit zips open and have no complaints but personally (sweaty-A-F) I wasted a lot of money on jackets before just going the Merino route. Generally with a shell in my pack in the event it got too wet/cold. Fact is I'd rather be wet from rain than sweat.

My Polartec Neo Shell jacket is fantastic (in my case a Mission Workshop jacket) and it's the material I recommend for sweaty dudes.

I have a couple friends who picked up MEC Flight Check jackets - which are also Neo Shell - for half price. They have larger pit vents than my Mission and the hoods are removable but not easily re-attached if you know what I mean, but Neo Shell is Neo Shell.

Yeah the icebreaker with a jersey over top is usually sufficient 90% of the year. Just use the shell for descents. Built like a rugby player, the overheat thing is an issue for sure. It is nice to be the guy who never gets cold.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 16, 2016, 11:01 a.m.

If I wanted to pick up one of these cheaper options, or convert an old coat to a vest, where might I go to have this done? Cut the sleeves off nicely and put a nice finish on it.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 16, 2016, 11:14 a.m.

If I wanted to pick up one of these cheaper options, or convert an old coat to a vest, where might I go to have this done? Cut the sleeves off nicely and put a nice finish on it.

We're either both weirdos or great minds think alike. Ever since Mission put out their waterproof vest I've been desperate to try one but definitely not going to poney up Mission money for a sleeveless jacket without proof of concept.

I have a Gore Active Shell jacket I never use (no pit zips and doesn't breathe like Neo Shell) that I keep thinking of getting chopped.

Sept. 16, 2016, 11:18 a.m.

We're either both weirdos or great minds think alike. Ever since Mission put out their waterproof vest I've been desperate to try one but definitely not going to poney up Mission money for a sleeveless jacket without proof of concept.

I have a Gore Active Shell jacket I never use (no pit zips and doesn't breathe like Neo Shell) that I keep thinking of getting chopped.

I find that often I just need a little extra core warmth and sleeves are usually too short or feel like they're binding. I killer neoshell vest would be perfect but that just isn't produced anywhere. The stuff for running and road riding is insanely light and thin and wouldn't survive mountain biking. There must be a brand that makes one!

Sept. 16, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

^I was going to mention that Mission has a hooded vest out now.

I've thought about chopping the sleeves either completely off or t-shirt length on my Sombrio Vapour jacket. I know a guy in Sechelt who does wicked repair work. He does all the embroidering work for HH.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 16, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

^I was going to mention that Mission has a hooded vest out now.

I've thought about chopping the sleeves either completely off or t-shirt length on my Sombrio Vapour jacket. I know a guy in Sechelt who does wicked repair work. He does all the embroidering work for HH.

That vest is pretty much perfect. Then I spit my coffee all over my computer when I saw the price.

Sept. 16, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

That vest is pretty much perfect. Then I spit my coffee all over my computer when I saw the price.

I warned you!

Sept. 16, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

^Yup.

7Mesh has a vest that is less costly. I have a Rapha Pro Team Rain Gilet that does the job on the road bike.

If I was shelling out for another jacket it would be a tossup between the Mission Workshop jacket, a Norrona Fjora Dri3 jacket or something from Gore Bike, which doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 16, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

I still have a couple of those Core Rat vests, one fleece and the other……..that shit that doesn't breathe.

Memories.

Sept. 16, 2016, 2:06 p.m.

I still have a couple of those Core Rat vests, one fleece and the other……..that shit that doesn't breathe.

Memories.

yeah she made a short sleeved jacket as well , I never got a chance to grab one of those . And my vest is the fleece lined one as well with a pocket on the inside .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 17, 2016, 7:33 a.m.

I find a merino hoodie under my jersey to be most comfortable.