Rain jackets

Sept. 14, 2016, 4:14 p.m.

I have this Sugoi jacket and it is really good. http://ca-store.sugoi.com/collections/mens-bike/products/72758u-rsx-neoshell-jacket. No venting other than the front zip but it seems to breath really well. The DWR has stood up really well too. On the other hand I also have the Acre neoshell jacket and its DWR is pitiful. The fit and cut and pockets are better although it is a slim fit but I am disappointed by the not durable DWR. It may be because the Sugoi can be machine dried but not the Acre. I may machine dry the Acre next time to see if that helps.

As a sweaty man beast I highly recommend Polartec Neo Shell jackets. No where near as waterproof as the Gore fabrics but I've never found anything Gotetex that I don't turn into an Amazon green house unless it's freezing.

I had ditched jackets in all but the worst rain (in favour of a couple light wool layers and not stopping) until I got my Acre.

That said, I definitely put it in the dryer and I also wash it in a DWR renewing product every ten or so washes.

On low heat in my machine I haven't seen any issues after a couple years of washing and drying.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 14, 2016, 4:38 p.m.

It's going in the drier then. I too sweat like Hunter S Thompson. It's just how it is. I always laugh at the assholes that say a pack or helmet makes them sweat. No. Riding a bike makes you sweat. It is how you and the garment manage the sweat that counts. With neoshell sweat does not build up as fast and can evaporate at least a little.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 14, 2016, 4:40 p.m.

Have you tested the Arc'teryx A2B Commuter Hardshell Pete? I was looking at it the other day and at $570 it definitely comes in as one of the most expensive biking jackets I've ever considered but it has more bike specific features than the Alpha FL.

I've currently got the Sugoi Icon. It's comfortable and gives you full movement. It also keeps you dry in the hardest rain. My biggest complaint is that the hood is held on by only a bunch of velcro dots. I've never had it fly off but it's never felt very secure. It's also polyurethane so what makes it windproof and waterproof also makes me sweat buckets wearing it. The price is right. I got mine at the Sugoi sale last year for $50

Sugoi Icon

I haven't. It looks like it'll do the trick and then some, although you're paying more for some of the city-friendly styling. That flip down ass flap is hilarious. For MTB only, you'd get the same performance from one of the others. Fleece-lined pockets are nice for wear off the bike but I never use them when riding…one thing I do NOT like about it is the hood intended to be worn under a helmet. Ditto with the Revelation - I do not like running a hood under the helmet.

The Icon is another 'shore-intended' shell which is clothingspeak for 'waterproof b/c it's made of rubber'. It'll keep you dry on the outside, but it's hypocritical because it doesn't work that way from the inside. If you don't climb too hard or only do short rides, you might make do with it but if it makes you sweat that much, you're at risk of dehydration…and if you're like me, you don't drink as much during the winter, so that could sneak up on you.

Sept. 14, 2016, 4:42 p.m.

I have this Sugoi jacket and it is really good. http://ca-store.sugoi.com/collections/mens-bike/products/72758u-rsx-neoshell-jacket. No venting other than the front zip but it seems to breath really well. The DWR has stood up really well too. On the other hand I also have the Acre neoshell jacket and its DWR is pitiful. The fit and cut and pockets are better although it is a slim fit but I am disappointed by the not durable DWR. It may be because the Sugoi can be machine dried but not the Acre. I may machine dry the Acre next time to see if that helps.

I have one and it is awesome.

Any shell should be able to be dried. They probably tell you not to so it'll last longer. DWR can only be restored by using a DWR coating that washes in - you can buy it at MEC or similar.

Sept. 14, 2016, 5:21 p.m.

I have one and it is awesome.

Any shell should be able to be dried. They probably tell you not to so it'll last longer. DWR can only be restored by using a DWR coating that washes in - you can buy it at MEC or similar.

is the hood removable ? I really like the collar similar to my Bontrager jacket

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 14, 2016, 6:10 p.m.

Thread jack: Any options for the non trust fund deadbeats like me that don't feel like your wearing a hefty bag?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Sept. 14, 2016, 8:07 p.m.

good details in this thread. i use a relatively cheap OR jacket for the rain but i avoid long, high output full on rain riding if possible. sure i would like a super high end rain jacket, if you can afford one you should. outdoorgearlab.com does a highly critical job of sorting out some of these hardshell jackets, highly informative. worth a look.

Sept. 14, 2016, 8:29 p.m.

Thread jack: Any options for the non trust fund deadbeats like me that don't feel like your wearing a hefty bag?

double layer of light or medium weight merino wool shirts and a cheap (under $100) water proof/resistant shell to keep most of the water off.

even if the merino gets wet or soaked it won't matter too much as you will still stay warm. i've been on wet rides in colder temps where the merino is wet and i'm still comfy/warm because of the layering. sometimes i've even gone out with 3 merino shirts on.

the real beauty of merino is how quickly it dries and the zero stink factor compared to most synthetics. i can wear a merino shirt for about six 30min commutes (hard rides, shirt soaked) before i'll consider washing it because there's no stink. the stuff is just absolutely amazing.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 14, 2016, 8:35 p.m.

double layer of light or medium weight merino wool shirts and a cheap (under $100) water proof/resistant shell to keep most of the water off.

even if the merino gets wet or soaked it won't matter too much as you will still stay warm. i've been on wet rides in colder temps where the merino is wet and i'm still comfy/warm because of the layering. sometimes i've even gone out with 3 merino shirts on.

the real beauty of merino is how quickly it dries and the zero stink factor compared to most synthetics. i can wear a merino shirt for about six 30min commutes (hard rides, shirt soaked) before i'll consider washing it because there's no stink. the stuff is just absolutely amazing.

my buddy does the same. foregoes the rain jacket all together in favour of merino wool layers.

Sept. 14, 2016, 8:54 p.m.

good details in this thread. i use a relatively cheap OR jacket for the rain but i avoid long, high output full on rain riding if possible. sure i would like a super high end rain jacket, if you can afford one you should. outdoorgearlab.com does a highly critical job of sorting out some of these hardshell jackets, highly informative. worth a look.

How is the sleeve length on the OR jackets? I'm just under 6'7" but only weigh 185 so finding stuff that fits is a nightmare.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Sept. 15, 2016, 8:02 a.m.

Arc'teryx sample sale is coming up thanksgiving weekend. Other good turkey swap deals that weekend to. Or you can wear a hoody and jeans and have fresh clothes in the car.

Sept. 15, 2016, 10:12 a.m.

How is the sleeve length on the OR jackets? I'm just under 6'7" but only weigh 185 so finding stuff that fits is a nightmare.

I'm 6'6" with long arms and none of this shit fits. I found an amazing light coat from Eddie Bauer First Ascent that used to be called the BC200 that came in tall, was lightweight, reasonably tough and breathed really well. Seems like that's been discontinued. The closest I could find is this, which doesn't seem quite as good but it sure is cheap.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 15, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

Arc'Teryx Alpha jackets are great all-around jackets that work better on the bike than say the Beta. The Alpha is meant to be for climbers so has a bit more reach and a hood that'll fit over your helmet.

Give a non-bike jacket a try. Most likely you'll be really impressed and appreciate being able to wear it around when off the bike.

I'm 6'4" with shoulders and even I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to buy anything with sleeves.

Sept. 15, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

This is the approach I have been taking. I too am a sweater and I find that the light shell works to keep the worst of the rain and wind out while the merino keeps you warm.

The other issue I have is with the torso. I am relatively short but with a long torso. Trying to find something that doesn't come apart in the middle and / or act like a parachute is tough.

Sept. 15, 2016, 11:50 a.m.

any experience or comments on the Bontranger Lithos or Evoke storm shells? I dont need to worry about coastal type monsoon rains but would be for cool/cold fall riding when raining moderately.