Rain jackets

Sept. 8, 2016, 10:10 a.m.

I really like my Arcteryx Norvan.
195g, packable and keeps you warm and dry on cold descents!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Sept. 8, 2016, 2:49 p.m.

Looked at these, every size but Large when I was there unfortunately. I feel like comparing there Chute with the 7mesh isn't really a fair comparison considering the price point and technologies involved though. I have a 10k/10k jacket now and it just isn't working for me, breathability-wise.

Damn. Gonna spin by after work or tomorrow and see but pretty sure I need a large. That's a good deal though.

I'm using a Westcomb event hardshell that I no longer use for skiing. Does the trick but the cut is a bit tight for biking and would like something a bit more breathable as I do not ride in torrential rain.

Sept. 8, 2016, 3:33 p.m.

You guys need to stop shuttling and start pedaling! Jackets on the NS? It doesn't get cool here let alone cold, even if it's pouring and even if there's snow! I ride with a regular long sleeve single layer A* jersey all winter.

Was it uphill both ways to school too, gramps?

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2016, 4:01 p.m.

Both the Dakine as mentioned and the Race Face Chute are good $ 200 choices.
Be sure to wash with water sealant after every 4-5 rides. I usually just hose these jackets down after rides, then after 4 or so wash with with treatment you can buy at MEC.

However, I did splurge on a 7 mesh last fall and I love it, does the trick and it allowed me to clock 2-3 hour rides all winter long. I did have a few crashes and it held up just fine. I did however manage to put a dime sized puncture through the elbow area on my very last wet cold ride of the season. I've been meaning to send it back to 7 mesh for a free repair…I better get on that!

Sept. 9, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

Thanks for the replies so far. This will be a jacket in hoping to be able to wear off the bike too, so knowing it can be used for things like trail building easily is a bonus.

I tried on an Arc'teryx Beta LT with the GoreTex Pro fabric and was impressed with the fit and feel of it. Definitely seems to be a durable membrane, which is key for such an expensive piece of kit.

Good news - off the bike, the 7Mesh seems to be a hit. In fact, the only one I've seen was in the stands at a Whitecaps Games (the industry edition yellow one). Good thing that guy got the Pro Gore-Tex or else he'd be sweating like a madman..

NSMBA member.

Sept. 9, 2016, 1:16 p.m.

Went to Sports Junkies last night. For the RF Chute, they have about 30 men's smalls, 5 men's XXL's and one women's XL. I tried on the women's XL and the arms were ok but torso too tight. Yeah, I'm fat.

Sept. 10, 2016, 8:21 a.m.

I had a 7mesh revelation jacket for a while and for biking it was a notch above anything else ive used. Fits like a second skin on the bike

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 10, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

forget the jackets it,s not quite that time of year yet , what about vests!!! who makes a decent vest , it,s time to retire my old CoreRat vest I got from Angie back in the day .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 10, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

forget the jackets it,s not quite that time of year yet , what about vests!!! who makes a decent vest , it,s time to retire my old CoreRat vest I got from Angie back in the day .

What size is that Core Rat, I might take it off your hands!

Sept. 10, 2016, 5:48 p.m.

What size is that Core Rat, I might take it off your hands!

nah she,s a keeper one of the 1st one,s she made as well .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 10, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

Anyone tried out the 7Mesh Northwoods Jacket? Its their $190 offering ….

Sept. 11, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

^^ I had a test sample but it was a bit tight on me so I didnt get to ride in it. It was light and water beaded well on it, and i think the pit vents are a big plus. Itd be a good fall jkt, or something packable for a chilcotin day ride.

I used a very similar jkt for 5 days of bikepacking in wetish weather and, while I wouldve been happier with something waterproof in those conditions, I have to admit that I never really got uncomfortably cold and wet. Fabric like that dries really quickly just from wind and body heat.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 14, 2016, 9:14 a.m.

Ok I think I'll weigh in here because I've worn a lot of jackets over the last few years.

First, re: the 7Mesh Revelation, you can read the full review but I'll address a few things in this thread. It is a riding-specific jacket. While on the bike, it fits amazingly well. But off the bike, it's not as great as other choices. Try raising your arms above your head, and they don't wanna go. It has a taper and cut that excels in a riding position but not for other sports. I considered using it for XC skiing last year - no dice. If you're a gear freak, or have a healthy budget, or are serious about having bike-specific gear for riding in all conditions (mtb, road, etc) the Revelation is worth a look. But it's not your one-jacket-to-slay-all-sports, and 7Mesh doesn't market it that way either. At the same time, it's svelte enough that it fits fairly well in a pack without taking up all the room - I've even stuffed it in a hip pack and was able to get tools, tube, and food in there too.

Race Face Chute: for $200, it's pretty good. It keeps you dry from the outside if you keep the DWR in good shape and wash it occasionally (mud, sweat, and oils affect the ability of every membrane to do its job) but it will not keep you dry from the inside on long (1.5 hr+) or physical rides. If it's pissing out and you're climbing up the Mtn Hwy gravel road at a moderate pace, you'll be fine. But if you're climbing up No Quarter, you'll be drenched in sweat by the time you get to the top. Sure, the pit zips will help, if it's not raining too hard… On the other hand, you can wear the Chute to do other things. The fit is more generous (North Shore casual?), it has fleece-lined pockets, and frankly I have worn mine more off the bike than any other jacket I own. It's bulky, so if you need a jacket for shoulder season, or 'just in case', you'll need something smaller to fit in your pack. If you're a Race Face fan, that jacket is the Nano. Lightweight emerg shells are easy to find and won't break the bank - everyone should have one for riding, hiking, whatever else you do.

About a year and a half ago I tested the Arc'teryx Alpha FL. It's a similar cost to the 7Mesh Revelation, same Gore-Tex Pro membrane, with a more generous fit that is not bike specific. It is a good all-rounder that, like the Revelation, is not intended to be a full-featured jacket (it has one chest pocket and that's it). I have worn it in the worst weather imaginable for 3 hour rides and it performed incredibly well.

Durability: as mentioned several times by others, all of the manufacturers of high-end jackets are set up to help with repairs, which they will do for free or at a minimal charge. Personally, I've torn one jacket in the last three years, and it was on the sleeve so it hasn't stopped me from continuing to use it. YMMV, but it should reassure you to know that if you drop good coin on one, tearing it in a crash doesn't mean you've wasted your money. Keeping jackets clean is my biggest challenge - if you don't rinse 'em off after every ride, that dirt starts to stain.

Breathability: From what I'm reading, this is highly underrated if you're riding for longer than an hour and a half. Cheaper jackets come with cheaper membranes. It's easy to make something waterproof and not breathable, but it defeats the purpose if you're sweating away inside that shell. Pit zips aren't ideal for really wet weather. Your breathability needs should be a top consideration - the harder/longer/more often you ride, the more I would recommend you consider spending on a jacket with good breathability.

Just like with bikes, you cannot have it all: there is no $250 full-featured waterproof and highly breathable jacket. It just doesn't exist. Our winter conditions are the trickiest for outerwear - cold and wet is hard to get just right. Any membrane will get overloaded by sweat if you don't match your layers to your ride and riding style.

Some people don't ride long enough, or hard enough (on the way up) to worry about breathability as much. In that case, you can get away with something in the $200 range and you're set. Otherwise, the money you spend over that is going to sting, but it is money well spent.

Sept. 14, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

Ok I think I'll weigh in here because I've worn a lot of jackets over the last few years.

About a year and a half ago I tested the Arc'teryx Alpha FL.

Have you tested the Arc'teryx A2B Commuter Hardshell Pete? I was looking at it the other day and at $570 it definitely comes in as one of the most expensive biking jackets I've ever considered but it has more bike specific features than the Alpha FL.

I've currently got the Sugoi Icon. It's comfortable and gives you full movement. It also keeps you dry in the hardest rain. My biggest complaint is that the hood is held on by only a bunch of velcro dots. I've never had it fly off but it's never felt very secure. It's also polyurethane so what makes it windproof and waterproof also makes me sweat buckets wearing it. The price is right. I got mine at the Sugoi sale last year for $50

Sugoi Icon

Sept. 14, 2016, 1:27 p.m.

I have this Sugoi jacket and it is really good. http://ca-store.sugoi.com/collections/mens-bike/products/72758u-rsx-neoshell-jacket. No venting other than the front zip but it seems to breath really well. The DWR has stood up really well too. On the other hand I also have the Acre neoshell jacket and its DWR is pitiful. The fit and cut and pockets are better although it is a slim fit but I am disappointed by the not durable DWR. It may be because the Sugoi can be machine dried but not the Acre. I may machine dry the Acre next time to see if that helps.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.