Rain jackets

Sept. 6, 2016, 6:41 p.m.

Contemplating getting all spendy and purchasing a 7mesh Revelation jacket. Anyone have one? Worth it? Cheaper, comparable alternatives(if any)?

Sept. 6, 2016, 8:09 p.m.

I got given one for trail building.
I love it, and if I lost it, I would buy another one.

Sept. 6, 2016, 10:18 p.m.

I got given one for trail building.
I love it, and if I lost it, I would buy another one.

Given the price that's quite an endorsement.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 7, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, mountain biking in a brand new $500 jacket seems pretty risky to me - too easy to fall and scuff it up, get it dirty, etc. At the same time, I guess if you ride regularly in the winter then you might as well buy the right gear.

I have the $200 RF Chute Jacket - it isn't perfect but I'm also not as worried about scuffing it up.

Sept. 7, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

Oh, and a couple of days after getting the jacket I crashed.

Ripped the back of the jacket - massive rip (pretty much the whole back). Any jacket would have been destroyed.

Brought it to 7mesh and they repaired it (free).
So yup - pretty sold. The jackets also is pretty compact so I can take it on any "iffy" weather day. It fits in my hip/fanny pack.

Sept. 7, 2016, 7:33 p.m.

Thanks for the replies so far. This will be a jacket in hoping to be able to wear off the bike too, so knowing it can be used for things like trail building easily is a bonus.

I tried on an Arc'teryx Beta LT with the GoreTex Pro fabric and was impressed with the fit and feel of it. Definitely seems to be a durable membrane, which is key for such an expensive piece of kit.

Sept. 7, 2016, 8:42 p.m.

I split a Gore Pro shell shoulder to shoulder across the back. Passed a dead tree on my toe side, it went under my back arm and ripped the jacket apart.

I've yet to see anyone besides industry peeps wearing 7mesh…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 7, 2016, 10:32 p.m.

I've got at least a half dozen ski jackets that have multiple zip-in liners of various types and textures. Not sure which of them had it, but it was a water-resistant fleece with reinforced shoulders and elbows out of vinyl kinda material (HH maybe??). I can't wear it in pouring rain, but it works just fine in anything up to and including "periodic showers" and "wet" as it just dries fast; and even when it is wet, it's still warm.

Not ideal, but free. Which ramps up its "ideal" factor.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 8, 2016, 8:20 a.m.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, mountain biking in a brand new $500 jacket seems pretty risky to me - too easy to fall and scuff it up, get it dirty, etc. At the same time, I guess if you ride regularly in the winter then you might as well buy the right gear.

I have the $200 RF Chute Jacket - it isn't perfect but I'm also not as worried about scuffing it up.

Wife just picked up a RF Chute for $140 from Sport Junkies on Broadway. Brand new and they had lots of sizes available. Agree they aren't perfect, but a no brainer for the price.

Sept. 8, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/winter-25-cold-weather-essentials-reviewed-2015.html

The Endura reviewed very favorably.

:canada:

Sept. 8, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

I bought Polaris Jacket ( Brit cycling gear co), On CRC last fall for $80.00
Way better quality than the RF jackets. Waterproof, vented all that.

http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Granite-Waterproof-Mountain-Biking-Jacket-p/pol01-4979-p.htm

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 8, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

Wife just picked up a RF Chute for $140 from Sport Junkies on Broadway. Brand new and they had lots of sizes available. Agree they aren't perfect, but a no brainer for the price.

Looked at these, every size but Large when I was there unfortunately. I feel like comparing there Chute with the 7mesh isn't really a fair comparison considering the price point and technologies involved though. I have a 10k/10k jacket now and it just isn't working for me, breathability-wise.

Sept. 8, 2016, 9:45 a.m.

You guys need to stop shuttling and start pedaling! Jackets on the NS? It doesn't get cool here let alone cold, even if it's pouring and even if there's snow! I ride with a regular long sleeve single layer A* jersey all winter.

Sept. 8, 2016, 10 a.m.

I have a Dakine Breaker jacket and it's awesome. It's light and keeps you dry, and folds up in to the front pocket to be easily packed away.

http://ca.dakine.com/p/bike/mens/jackets/breaker-jacket-16s

Sept. 8, 2016, 10:09 a.m.

Just a couple of added notes.
The 7 mesh jacket for me is strictly for riding. I would destroy it for trail building. For trail building I pretty much use my old beat to shit jackets.

I am not sure I could afford the 7mesh jacket if I was buying one for riding. I love it, would love to have another one, but I am super cheap.

As far as industry - I am the farthest thing from it. I believe "athletes get the shwag, photographers get the credit, and trail builders get the shit." The shit being fines, anger, controversies etc. However, I have twice gotten gear from "industry" this is the second time and damn - it sure is nice getting gear.