RaceFace Cinch

July 23, 2018, 9:39 a.m.

Does anyone know if InterPol has apprehended the RaceFace people who came up with that 2mm soft plastic bolt?

July 23, 2018, 9:42 a.m.

Id like the designer of the ring that holds the chainring onto the crank outed as well.

July 23, 2018, 10:43 a.m.

Strange thing is, they used to make an aluminum preload collar, but changed to that crappy nylon one for some reason.  I always buy a few extra when I am ordering stuff, cuz they seem to crack if you look at them wrong.  At least they are cheap.

July 23, 2018, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Id like the designer of the ring that holds the chainring onto the crank outed as well.

The one that you use an old splined BB cup tool to tighten? They do tend to come loose every once in awhile. A dab of blue loctite on the (cleaned) threads and it stays put much better.

Last edited by: shoreboy on July 23, 2018, 10:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 23, 2018, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Strange thing is, they used to make an aluminum preload collar, but changed to that crappy nylon one for some reason.  I always buy a few extra when I am ordering stuff, cuz they seem to crack if you look at them wrong.  At least they are cheap.

For the low, low price of $29 USD, Cane Creek will sell you an aluminum preload collar that fits Cinch cranks: http://www.canecreek.com/product/crank-preloader/

July 23, 2018, 11 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Strange thing is, they used to make an aluminum preload collar, but changed to that crappy nylon one for some reason. I always buy a few extra when I am ordering stuff, cuz they seem to crack if you look at them wrong. At least they are cheap.

For the low, low price of $29 USD, Cane Creek will sell you an aluminum preload collar that fits Cinch cranks: http://www.canecreek.com/product/crank-preloader/

I knew I had seen another aluminum one out there. Thanks for that. So you can buy 10 of the crappy plastic ones, or this one from Cane Creek.  Seems you have to bond a gold ring to your spindle first to use the CC one though.

Last edited by: shoreboy on July 23, 2018, 11:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 23, 2018, 1:06 p.m.

I have a similar one on my road bike’s rotor cranks.  Not sure if the adjuster fits or is available aftermarket

July 23, 2018, 11:28 p.m.

Strange thing is, they used to make an aluminum preload collar, but changed to that crappy nylon one for some reason. I always buy a few extra when I am ordering stuff, cuz they seem to crack if you look at them wrong. At least they are cheap.

I knew I had seen another aluminum one out there. Thanks for that. So you can buy 10 of the crappy plastic ones, or this one from Cane Creek.  Seems you have to bond a gold ring to your spindle first to use the CC one though.

Seems the gold thread ring is for SRAM setups only.  The Race Face one does not require its use: http://www.canecreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Cane-Creek-PreLoad_03_22_18-FINAL.pdf

Unless I'm misreading.

July 24, 2018, 8:14 a.m.

Are there advantages to RaceFace cranks vs Shimano aside from that they’re cooler looking?

July 24, 2018, 8:18 a.m.

Posted by: idle

Seems the gold thread ring is for SRAM setups only.  The Race Face one does not require its use: http://www.canecreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Cane-Creek-PreLoad_03_22_18-FINAL.pdf

Unless I'm misreading.

Oh yes good find.  They make it look as if that spacer ring isnt threaded.  If it is, then I would agree that the gold thread ring shouldnt be needed.

July 24, 2018, 8:26 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Are there advantages to RaceFace cranks vs Shimano aside from that they’re cooler looking?

If you compare Next G4 RF cranks to say, XTR, you are looking at about 100g in weight in favor of RF. 30mm vs 24mm spindle (which can be debated as to which is better).  Perhaps more choice of aftermarket rings with the RF cranks as almost everyone seems to make cinch interface rings.

Last edited by: shoreboy on July 24, 2018, 8:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 24, 2018, 10:26 a.m.

Teh carbonzzzzzzz!

July 24, 2018, 10:49 a.m.

If you compare Next G4 RF cranks to say, XTR, you are looking at about 100g in weight in favor of RF. 30mm vs 24mm spindle (which can be debated as to which is better).  Perhaps more choice of aftermarket rings with the RF cranks as almost everyone seems to make cinch interface rings.

I have XTR on my Intense Spider and have SixC on my Specialized Enduro, honestly, can't tell the difference.  Both have been problem and worry free.   To go 1x on my XTR with the chain line that I wanted, I did have to get a ring by NS Billet, but that's not a huge issue.

July 25, 2018, 8:49 a.m.

I love that cinch cranks (in 1x11) don't have a spider. You can use your cinch chainring like a bash and the thing never bends. And who cares if it does. The spider on cranks was always the weak spot.

As for the nylon ring, it probably has something to do with the fact that it is just a tensioner and doesn't have to be too tight and as well, they won't seize so you can always get them off without ruining your cranks. I've been running the same set of turbines with the same nylon ring for 4 seasons - shit, did I just jinx myself?

July 26, 2018, 9:43 a.m.

What are you guys doing to damage those rings? Tighten by hand and do up the screw lightly until the ring gap is just closed and no more. Bet you guys have hands the size of my feet.