RaceFace Cinch

July 26, 2018, 11:13 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

What are you guys doing to damage those rings? Tighten by hand and do up the screw lightly until the ring gap is just closed and no more. Bet you guys have hands the size of my feet.

Its more to do with the 2mm allen screw that tightens the nylon ring.  Its pretty easy to strip out the screw head, and I have found that metal screws in nylon threads dont play well together.  The nylon often loses the battle and cracks at the threads.

July 26, 2018, 2:40 p.m.

What are you guys doing to damage those rings? Tighten by hand and do up the screw lightly until the ring gap is just closed and no more. Bet you guys have hands the size of my feet.

For me, riding a lot and needing to take the cranks apart to re-tighten the chainring, repack the BB bearings and just generally keep it clean.

I treat that bolt as a ticking bomb.  It doesn't matter.

July 26, 2018, 6:03 p.m.

I’ve had mine five seasons. It’s been on two bikes. Multiple bbs, multiple chairing changes, multiple B.B. overhauls, multiple removals chasing noises. The first aluminum ring was replaced because it seemed to come loose, but the plastic replacement has been fine for three or four seasons. Barely snug is all I ever do. I am always very cautious as it is only a plastic thing.

July 26, 2018, 7:07 p.m.

Whats the best way to remove a stripped 2mm allen screw from an aluminum ring?

July 26, 2018, 7:36 p.m.

I’ve had mine five seasons. It’s been on two bikes. Multiple bbs, multiple chairing changes, multiple B.B. overhauls, multiple removals chasing noises. The first aluminum ring was replaced because it seemed to come loose, but the plastic replacement has been fine for three or four seasons. Barely snug is all I ever do. I am always very cautious as it is only a plastic thing.

I stand corrected. It is an engineering masterpiece.

July 27, 2018, 1:27 p.m.

Posted by: Koloss

Whats the best way to remove a stripped 2mm allen screw from an aluminum ring?

Stripped head? Small easy out? Stripped thread? Cutting tool like a Dremel.

July 29, 2018, 7:24 p.m.

3rd season on mine , you guys must have no sense of feel when tigthen stuff up .

July 29, 2018, 10:05 p.m.

Maybe I should stop using my four foot long 2mm hex wrench.