Race Face CINCH poor chainline

Dec. 28, 2016, 10:07 a.m.

I have Race Face CINCH cranks on my two bikes.

Both bikes have the Race Face 30T direct mount rings installed. Turbine and SixC cranks.

Both bikes drop the chain/skip badly when you pedal backwards in the largest cog in the rear 42t (11 speed)(NON BOOST)

Both bikes have more wear on the drive side of the chainring when compared to the non-drive side of the chainring.

The stock chainring cannot be space in to reduce the chainline so I need a new direct mount chainring to give a more ideal chainline (center of the cassette).

As an open letter to Race Face: Please make a chainring with a correct offset to give an ideal chainline for non boost.

Oh great NSMB board, can I get some suggestions for direct mount round (I'd prefer to not go oval) variable tooth chainrings that will give me a better chainline.

I know of Absolute Black and One-Up but the both only sell oval rings that give the better chainline I am after.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 28, 2016, 10:22 a.m.

http://northshorebillet.ca/

zero knowledge or investigation, but I just happened across this front page that might help

Chainline Corrected 28t to 36t Shimano XT Rings

Dec. 28, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

oh, cinch. fugetaboutit…

http://northshorebillet.com/collections/chainrings/products/1x10-direct-mount-chainrings-for-raceface-cinch-1?variant=6182584001

Dec. 28, 2016, 11:41 a.m.

my sram 11spd has done that since day one , common issue with the bigger 40+t count 11spds

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 28, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

Smartass/unhelpful response time:

Long term solution is to sell the RF cranks, replace with Shimano. Bolt-on chainrings can have their chain line adjusted. The weight difference won't be noticeable. Your bike will look more boring.

Not surprisingly, this is my solution to most bike part problems.

Dec. 28, 2016, 1:12 p.m.

I don't have any significant issues with my Cinch cranks but the bike industry in general seems to agree for good or bad that a wide chain line is a 'good thing'. Feck knows why…. I used to prefer the days of 47.5mm, or whatever 8sp used to be. Middle ring / big sprocket combo always worked great. Moving the chain line out helped with front derailleur / tire clearance, but there isn't a derailleur any more!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 28, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

my sram 11spd has done that since day one , common issue with the bigger 40+t count 11spds

Yes….I know that. I am looking for a solution to an issue, not restating the commonly known issue that I stated in my first post. ;)

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 28, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

oh, cinch. fugetaboutit…

http://northshorebillet.com/collections/chainrings/products/1x10-direct-mount-chainrings-for-raceface-cinch-1?variant=6182584001

Thank you.

:beer:

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 28, 2016, 2:33 p.m.

Blackspire snaggletooth worth a try. 48mm ring offset when I asked them directly. Any chance you can space your BB at all? If it isnt PF, you might be in luck.

Dec. 28, 2016, 4:57 p.m.

This is an 11spd problem, not a RF problem.

Dec. 28, 2016, 5:12 p.m.

This is an 11spd problem, not a RF problem.

I both agree and disagree.

11 speeds and the huge cogs contribute to the problem, but having a chainring that is spaced outboard doesn't help.

Ideally a chain should run straight from the chainring to the center cog of the cassette. Mine are off a cog or two which in turn gives bad alignment when in the 42t ring. This is nothing new and I know how to fix it. I am just trying to find a suitable ring for my bikes.

Cinch cranks don't lend themselves to be spaced easily. Shimano rings can be spaced over due to the use of a spider.

Frustrating for sure but as with most things bicycle related, someone finds a way to mess things up so we have to keep buying new parts in the quest for the perfect ride.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 28, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

Blackspire snaggletooth worth a try. 48mm ring offset when I asked them directly. Any chance you can space your BB at all? If it isnt PF, you might be in luck.

I was looking at their website but could not find the info stating the offset.

I have a NSB ring on order. Hopefully it works out.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-

Dec. 28, 2016, 5:40 p.m.

Snatch one of these and go with a standard 104 BCD spaced over a bit:

https://www.raceface.com/products/details/cinch-spider

Keeps your RF bling and solves your issue. Also allows you to change chainrings without removing your cranks.

Dec. 28, 2016, 5:44 p.m.

Yes….I know that. I am looking for a solution to an issue, not restating the commonly known issue that I stated in my first post. ;)

The One-up oval does help , but I can,t say how much truthfully as since switching to the oval I rarely use my 42t . If you want to try one I am laid up and my cranks are out of my bike , you can test fit it if you like .

this is the one I have .

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/collections/chainrings/products/cinch-direct-mount-traction-chainrings

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 28, 2016, 6:41 p.m.

The One-up oval does help , but I can,t say how much truthfully as since switching to the oval I rarely use my 42t . If you want to try one I am laid up and my cranks are out of my bike , you can test fit it if you like .

this is the one I have .

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/collections/chainrings/products/cinch-direct-mount-traction-chainrings

Sounds tempting.

When the weather improves I might take you up on the offer.

www.FVMBA.com 

-Mario Andretti-