Race face atlas am bar strength?

May 14, 2013, 11:41 a.m.

I have a RF atlas am bar I had on my hard tail for the last two years, this was back when there was a AM and FR distinction on the bars. I've switched it over to my Devinci Ollie I just recently bought because it needed a new bar and I'm going to be changing up,the look and weight of the hard tail.

Is the bar strong enough for a lift access and shuttle only bike? I know race face makes some excellently bomber products. I'm not a big sender or even extremely fast and I'm pretty much getting back into the gravity type of riding after a good 7 year hiatus. The bar feels good on the bike I'm trying to avoid buying too many parts for two bikes this summer.

Thanks!

May 14, 2013, 12:58 p.m.

2 year old AM bar on a shuttle/DH bike ??

ask yourself if that sounds safe..

May 14, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

Did you crash the bar or abuse it otherwise?

A bar isn't that expensive, but if it would fail, you would have to be very lucky to NOT get hurt.
Gt yourself a nice dh handlebar and some peace of mind…

May 14, 2013, 1:19 p.m.

If you're even asking then you should replace it. Lots of awesome great-looking bars available for you to purchase in the name of safety.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 14, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

No not abused in the least. Not ridden much last year for that matter.

I didn't thik anything of it at first to be honest until a friend had noted it. Thanks all for chiming in, I'll keep my eyes open for a new dh bar.

May 14, 2013, 2:19 p.m.

if it would fail, you would have to be very lucky to NOT get hurt.

i feel like the prevailing wisdom is that bars are like consumables that don't show wear: if you ride hard, they should be replaced as a matter of course

but (except for in that trials video where buddy's bar comes apart while he's pulling up on his handlebars) i've never heard of a bar failing except for on impact - and even that seems quite rare. i was a bike mechanic for years dealing with, i assure you, the crappiest bikes in the lower mainland. again i never saw or heard first hand of an instance of an aluminum handlebar "just failing"

i ride a (very well) used carbon dh bar on my primary bike. its wicked light, feels good and my best google effort turn up no (online) documented instances of one failing. i figure if it breaks it will probably happen on impact, which means its failure won't injure me (the impact will probably do that =/)

am i an idiot living in denial?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 14, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

i feel like the prevailing wisdom is that bars are like consumables that don't show wear: if you ride hard, they should be replaced as a matter of course

but (except for in that trials video where buddy's bar comes apart while he's pulling up on his handlebars) i've never heard of a bar failing except for on impact - and even that seems quite rare. i was a bike mechanic for years dealing with, i assure you, the crappiest bikes in the lower mainland. again i never saw or heard first hand of an instance of an aluminum handlebar "just failing"

i ride a (very well) used carbon dh bar on my primary bike. its wicked light, feels good and my best google effort turn up no (online) documented instances of one failing. i figure if it breaks it will probably happen on impact, which means its failure won't injure me (the impact will probably do that =/)

am i an idiot living in denial?

you dont like your teeth much ???

factor in the cost of losing just a single tooth, and suddenly that handlebar seems REALLY cheap..

May 14, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

you dont like your teeth much ???

don't read much? lets see if i can make it a bit more clear…

i've never heard of a bar failing except for on impact - and even that seems quite rare

factor in the cost of losing just a single tooth, and suddenly that handlebar seems REALLY cheap..

if i was constantly making decisions on the basis of whether it was possible i would lose a tooth… i probably wouldn't be mountain biking

edit: sorry to the op for the thread derail-ish. this is something i haven't quite wrapped my head around. i'm not trying to be obtuse

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 14, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

The only handle bar I saw fail first hand was at the Grouse WC a bunch of years ago, a semi-pro DH rider who happened to be a bike mechanic at a NV LBS (can't remember his name) had a scandium Easton bar snap as he rode off the start ramp to the course.

May 14, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

If you're asking then it will probably bother you in which case just get a new one and don't think about it. The bar is fine though.

May 14, 2013, 3:03 p.m.

don't read much? lets see if i can make it a bit more clear…

if i was constantly making decisions on the basis of whether it was possible i would lose a tooth… i probably wouldn't be mountain biking

edit: sorry to the op for the thread derail-ish. this is something i haven't quite wrapped my head around. i'm not trying to be obtuse

No apologises needed. I had this question because I too have never seen a bar fail, I imagine bending would happen first. Like I mentioned ive been out of this type of riding 7 or so years so tech and materials have changed. back then I remember using cheap axiom bars. The Atlas bar I have now feels and looks good and I wouldn't mind investing in a carbon bar for the hard tail.

Obviously if the bar I have was abused and banged up it wouldn't be a question But if I replaced every part just because of the theoretical then I too might as well quit biking. I've heard 888s snapping but that doesn't mean I'm going to replace mine, hell being the sole bread winner for the time being m tolerance for extreme steeps or sending large gaps are not what they were in my early 20s.

I find it so easy as a gear whore to get caught up in the what-ifs and buying or upgrading things that aren't always necessary.

May 14, 2013, 3:32 p.m.

I had a bar snap on me doing a drop on Eagle. Scary scary moment. Very lucky to not get injured.

The bar should have been retired, I rode it longer than I should have.

May 14, 2013, 3:37 p.m.

Not that its safe, but i have seen some aluminum bars in horrible condition being ridden by people that are extremely hard on parts. and they still have their teeth and handle bars.

is it the responsible thing to do. ??? is the real question

May 14, 2013, 4:09 p.m.

Carbon bar on hardtail is like getting loved by life long time!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 14, 2013, 6:03 p.m.

Likewise I have never seen a bar fail in real life… but I still change mine every couple of seasons. It makes for peace of mind more than anything.