Protective Frame Tape?

Aug. 2, 2016, 8:52 p.m.

Magic Marys? Jesus this tire grabs a lot of shit and throws it at your frame.

If this was happening to my bike I would get off after each and every impact and lovingly inspect it, while making soothing sounds.

Magic Mary in the front. It does seem to grab more toonie sized rocks and launch them directly into my frame repeatedly than any tire I can ever recall.

Me after the last rock hit my new carbon frame:

Aug. 3, 2016, 7:49 a.m.

I bought some Shelter Tape as recommended here by jitenshakun. The demo on their site with the unkempt scientist type hammering on a lightbulb was my kind of hokey marketing. Cost a million bucks a sheet, but it's definitely the business.

I bought both Invisiframe and Shelter tape for my Wreckoning when it was new. The Invisiframe kit was expensive and a bit tricky to get installed perfectly - definitely plan to take some time doing this while the frame is new and unassembled.

I managed to bang my chainstay up really good after my third ride and recognized that a few spots need something tougher. The Invisiframe protection is basically 3M tape and is good for little hits but mostly protects against abrasion. The Shelter tape is very thick and absorbs impacts. So I applied it to the chainstays and seatstays of my swingarm and a long strip covering the entire underside of my down tube. My bike feels fully protected now. I've hit the Shelter tape areas a few times and so far not a scratch.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 7, 2017, 9:04 a.m.

Anyone confirm if Lordco's in lower mainland carry 3M heli tape (8671HS)? I went into their east van store yesterday and they didn't have it. Just looking for something thin to protect my carbon frame from cable rub in a few small areas, it already has plastic downtube protectors.

June 7, 2017, 10:11 a.m.

I bought a roll from the east Van Lordco a few months back.  Did you ask for that brand/number specifically?  I just ask them if they had any paint protection film, and they gave me two choices.  One was a thinner roll (still tons for a bike) and the other was some much larger sheet designed to do entire hoods or fenders.

June 15, 2017, 11:29 a.m.

Posted by: MikeO

What do you recommend? The 3M stuff seems to get the best reviews but are there any alternatives? Some people online have had good luck doubling up the clear Gorilla Tape for down tubes apparently.

What say you NSMB?

One of the best tricks I learned from my LBS is road bar tape on the chainstay. It protects the frame an keeps chainslap quiet. I had it on my last frame for 3 years and it still looked good when I sold the frame. Plus is comes in every color if matchy matchy is your thing.

June 15, 2017, 2:05 p.m.

^Self-adhesive Velcro is much cheaper

June 15, 2017, 2:23 p.m.

I've used some of this Clear Gorilla tape I once had sitting around the house. It's quite thick and tough so held up to lots of abuse

June 15, 2017, 3:54 p.m.

Posted by: StinkinRutBeer

I've used some of this Clear Gorilla tape I once had sitting around the house. It's quite thick and tough so held up to lots of abuse

This seems cheap and easy to find. Does it leave any residue when it's removed?

June 15, 2017, 4:47 p.m.

Posted by: PUNKY

I bought a roll of 3M tape from Lordco. Laid long strip under the down tube and cut other pieces to fit other wear areas.

InvisiFrame makes kits for certain bikes. Could be an option if your frame is supported, which it is.

FrameSkin as well

Other than that google 3M or XPEL automotive vinyl. That is the stuff you want in which ever size or grade you choose. It could be called other names as well.

Prep work and installation (windex, heat gun and squeegee) is key.

I have an Invisiframe kit for my Wreckoning. It's amazing. You can't even tell it's there.

I also used Shelter tape on the sides and bottom my non-drive chainstay and down tube. It's like the 3M tape but it's much thicker and can absorb more impact. The 3M is good for scuff protection.

June 16, 2017, 12:30 p.m.

Ended up finding the stuff at Lordco, it's just a different SKU than the heli tape, is listed as automotive paint vinyl film. I've only put a few small pieces on my frame, didn't even have to use soap/squeegee since they were small strips.

June 17, 2017, 7:13 p.m.

Posted by: D-Type

Posted by: StinkinRutBeer

This seems cheap and easy to find. Does it leave any residue when it's removed?

It came off no problems for me, worst case some goo-gone would get rid of anything leftover

June 17, 2017, 8:39 p.m.

Awesome, I'll have to give it a try

June 19, 2017, 11:28 p.m.

I can't possibly be the only person who had tried hockey tape on chainstays, over a thin section of inner tube... No idea how awful the tape residue is going to be, but I also see no reason to remove it.

June 20, 2017, 1:25 a.m.

Orrrr go to a bike show and talk to the KMC guys - they're always giving out chainstay protectors (free!)

June 20, 2017, 8:07 a.m.

Posted by: tehllama42

I can't possibly be the only person who had tried hockey tape on chainstays, over a thin section of inner tube... No idea how awful the tape residue is going to be, but I also see no reason to remove it.

If we are talking about chainstay protection, Ive been using Magic Wrap on my last few bikes.  Its light, it sticks to itself, and has a nice rubbery consistency to keep the noise down.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/magic-wrap-tape-0670300p.html