Protective Frame Tape?

Aug. 1, 2016, 11:27 p.m.

What do you recommend? The 3M stuff seems to get the best reviews but are there any alternatives? Some people online have had good luck doubling up the clear Gorilla Tape for down tubes apparently.

What say you NSMB?

Aug. 2, 2016, 12:02 a.m.

I bought a roll of 3M tape from Lordco. Laid long strip under the down tube and cut other pieces to fit other wear areas.

InvisiFrame makes kits for certain bikes. Could be an option if your frame is supported, which it is.

FrameSkin as well

Other than that google 3M or XPEL automotive vinyl. That is the stuff you want in which ever size or grade you choose. It could be called other names as well.

Prep work and installation (windex, heat gun and squeegee) is key.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 2, 2016, 5:54 a.m.

Invisiframe is spendy but does a killer job , keeps the factory tint of the frame , I put 3M tape from Lordco and my frame is satin and the tape is shinny , so it looks funky but adds protection

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 2, 2016, 10:07 a.m.

Gorilla tape sells an extra-thick clear packing tape product. I have used it to protect carbon frames and it works well. Not very stretchy but if you take your time you can get nice results. Cheap and available at home despot.

Aug. 2, 2016, 11:44 a.m.

I bought some Shelter Tape as recommended here by jitenshakun. The demo on their site with the unkempt scientist type hammering on a lightbulb was my kind of hokey marketing. Cost a million bucks a sheet, but it's definitely the business.

Get 2 packs of Shelter Tape from MEC and cover the bottom of the down tube and top of the top tube. I know the 3M tape from Lordco is popular, but it doesn't have the impact protection the Shelter Tape has.

Bottom layer protects from the tailgate, top layer protects from brake levers and bars.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 2, 2016, 12:25 p.m.

What's this about wrapping ones bike in tape??

Is this something new since I f*cked off to go surf for a couple years?? What's the purpose, to keep it from getting scratched and chipped?? Really??

Just asking, just asking….
DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 2, 2016, 12:43 p.m.

What's this about wrapping ones bike in tape??

Is this something new since I f*cked off to go surf for a couple years?? What's the purpose, to keep it from getting scratched and chipped?? Really??

Just asking, just asking….
DS

Yup! Aesthetics. Also, some tapes claim protect against cracks by dispersing impact energy.

Plus, it makes your carbon super bike easier to sell at the end of the season as you save up the difference for next year's carbon super bike.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Aug. 2, 2016, 2:11 p.m.

^Or you should see the tape ripped on the down tubes of both my V10C and Surface! Unsure if it was rock impact or shuttle pad damage.

I don't see what the big deal with adding a few grams of protective tape to ones bike is. It's not like MX plastic and supercars don't do the exact same thing.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 2, 2016, 2:18 p.m.

Yup! Aesthetics. Also, some tapes claim protect against cracks by dispersing impact energy.

This reeks of snake oil.

Plus, it makes your carbon super bike easier to sell at the end of the season as you save up the difference for next year's carbon super bike.

This makes sense.

I'll just ride mine hard and put 'er away wet. If she gets some scars, hey, they were well deserved. To each their own.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 2, 2016, 3:04 p.m.

Not sure if it's the fresh tires on my Reign Advanced but I've heard more rocks clank off of the down tube over the weekend than I have in about 2 years of riding. I'm only looking to put the tape there and a few spots where the cables rub. If I can easily avoid rock damage I will.

Aug. 2, 2016, 3:07 p.m.

You probably haven't been riding this fast in two years Mike!

Aug. 2, 2016, 3:09 p.m.

I also think the carbon makes more sound than aluminum when its hit.

Aug. 2, 2016, 3:25 p.m.

The 3M Lordco stuff is good for general frame protection and cable rub, but it doesn't hold up to heavy abrasion. I have used it on my cranks and it wore through quickly.

Aug. 2, 2016, 7:13 p.m.

Not sure if it's the fresh tires on my Reign Advanced but I've heard more rocks clank off of the down tube over the weekend than I have in about 2 years of riding. I'm only looking to put the tape there and a few spots where the cables rub. If I can easily avoid rock damage I will.

Magic Marys? Jesus this tire grabs a lot of shit and throws it at your frame.

If this was happening to my bike I would get off after each and every impact and lovingly inspect it, while making soothing sounds.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 2, 2016, 8:41 p.m.

You probably haven't been riding this fast in two years Mike!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to heckler again."

Haha. This is likely true. The Reign is a beast.