Protective Frame Tape?

June 20, 2017, 11:02 a.m.

That^^ is good stuff ! a small 2" piece stretches out to be a very long piece, good for wrapping a round cables and stuff as well

June 20, 2017, 12:27 p.m.

I've done the hockey tape thing in the past and it creates a real mess as it ages. Bar tape was the best solution for me for the chain stay.

June 20, 2017, 5:34 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

If we are talking about chainstay protection, Ive been using Magic Wrap on my last few bikes.  Its light, it sticks to itself, and has a nice rubbery consistency to keep the noise down.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/magic-wrap-tape-0670300p.html

How many wraps did you do?  I tried that but it disintegrated pretty quickly.  I may not have used enough though...

June 20, 2017, 6:32 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: shoreboy

If we are talking about chainstay protection, Ive been using Magic Wrap on my last few bikes.  Its light, it sticks to itself, and has a nice rubbery consistency to keep the noise down.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/magic-wrap-tape-0670300p.html

How many wraps did you do?  I tried that but it disintegrated pretty quickly.  I may not have used enough though...

I did a pretty tight overlap on the wraps, so it would have come out to say 1.5 - 1.75x coverage maybe?  Its lasted more than a season on a couple of bikes.  Used a bit of black electric tape on the ends just to make sure it stays put.

June 22, 2017, 8:56 a.m.

Posted by: in_a_bath

I've done the hockey tape thing in the past and it creates a real mess as it ages. Bar tape was the best solution for me for the chain stay.

I agree with bath here. I did that on a Canfield and it helps keep things quiet but hockey tape tears easily and a chain slapping it like a man trying to get his money's worth at a brothel doesn't end well. It tore a lot and left a lot of residue. 

Electrical tape or helicopter tape seem to be the best options out there if you don't get a custom molded chainstay protector.

June 25, 2017, 10:38 p.m.

That all makes sense, it hadn't occurred to me that the reason mine looks only mostly trashed is that I covered it in electrical tape. Considering that it's an out of production diamondback frame, I'll probably never have the occasion to remove it.

I think I'll pony up and go with helicopter tape on my other carbon bike.