Project NBD - new bike day

Oct. 21, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

so i'm thinking it may be time for a new steed - i'm currently on a 10 yr old SX trail.

i find the sx is a good descender but just an ok climber - a lighter build would probably help that tho as the bike sits at about 38lbs. i really don't know much about the current crop of bikes mostly b/c i don't care about following the latest tech all that much. if i could find a bike that descends at least as well but climbs noticeably better and is at least 5lbs lighter that would be ideal. for me the climb is as important as the down.

what says the nsmb library of bike knowledge?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 21, 2014, 6:52 p.m.

What's your price range?
Basically take that and apply it to the current Enduro Bikes offered by every company.
If new is too expensive, then see what current enduro bikes are in the buy'n'sell in your size.

Oct. 21, 2014, 7:24 p.m.

So many good options out there. I expect this thread to go viral. I will suggest the Xprezo Adhoc as its my current ride and relevant to the latest enduro geometry. But you could pick the same geometry numbers from pretty much any brand and you'll be happy.

Oct. 21, 2014, 7:29 p.m.

crap, you start to look around and there's enduro, all mountain and trail bikes - like wth.

lotsa different names for what seems like pretty much the same type of bike.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 21, 2014, 8:09 p.m.

crap, you start to look around and there's enduro, all mountain and trail bikes - like wth.

Look at travel and geometry numbers… 160mm front/150mm rear is the sweet spot for the most versatile bikes right now. Geometry should be 65-66 HA, 74-75 ST, 13-13.5 BB height… most new frames are coming in with slightly longer front-centres for better weight distribution and shorter chainstays. These bikes climb well and descend like mini-DH bikes.

Oct. 21, 2014, 8:25 p.m.

I think you want enduro or all mountain. Both seem to loosley translate to free ride.

Oct. 21, 2014, 8:30 p.m.

I think you want enduro or all mountain. Both seem to loosley translate to free ride.

modern freeridng , old school was pushing 50lb dh bikes and riding skinnys and hucking to flat

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 21, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

the Xprezo Adhoc as its my current ride

got a pic of that? i'm developing a jonesing for these for some reason. i'm assuming it's working well for you?

Oct. 21, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

something like a range or process seems to fit the bill in terms of spec/geo.

Ellen Langer

Oct. 21, 2014, 8:45 p.m.

something like a range or process seems to fit the bill in terms of spec/geo.

check the kona…..I'm thinking about one

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 21, 2014, 8:51 p.m.

ok climber ???

dude ive seen u climb sheer fukn rock faces…

Sync is like spiderman, no joke…

Oct. 21, 2014, 9:01 p.m.

got a pic of that? i'm developing a jonesing for these for some reason. i'm assuming it's working well for you?

Sure thing… a few parts have changed (cranks/brakes) but otherwise its what you see here. Its 28.5 lbs in current configuration. And yeah, I love this frame. Something about the alloy/steel mix that makes it so smooth.

Oct. 21, 2014, 9:16 p.m.

ok climber ???

dude ive seen u climb sheer fukn rock faces…

Sync is like spiderman, no joke…

it's not bad for short [HTML_REMOVED] steep pitches, but for extended climbs it's just not that comfortable.

Ellen Langer

Oct. 21, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

that norco range is pretty decent for the price http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/enduro/range-alu/

or you should have bought my remedy a month ago.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Oct. 21, 2014, 10:29 p.m.

Sure thing… a few parts have changed (cranks/brakes) but otherwise its what you see here. Its 28.5 lbs in current configuration. And yeah, I love this frame. Something about the alloy/steel mix that makes it so smooth.

Damn! Didn't realize the Ad-Hoc could get so lite. Its going toe to toe with the Nomad as a replacement.

Now to sell a medium Range 26"

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.