pro taper bars

May 30, 2007, 12:02 p.m.

Protapers and the Ea70's are the exact same bar, both made by Easton.

FYI: Easton hasn't made the Protapers for at least 4 years now, it might even be longer than that, but that is as far as my reference goes back. The Protapers are still a great bar (they are probaby triple butted or something like that now), I think they are probably stronger than the Easton taper process bars. I have had my problems with the EA70's.

May 30, 2007, 12:38 p.m.

My 25.4mm Easton EA70's are feeling pretty flexy these days, although I can't remember if they were like this when they were new two seasons ago. I'll probably try something different for my next bar, maybe switch to 31.8mm as well.

May 30, 2007, 12:56 p.m.

FYI: Easton hasn't made the Protapers for at least 4 years now, it might even be longer than that, but that is as far as my reference goes back. The Protapers are still a great bar (they are probaby triple butted or something like that now), I think they are probably stronger than the Easton taper process bars. I have had my problems with the EA70's.

Yea, I'm going on old knowledge here.

Its funny that the Protaper bar in MX is its own company (as far as I can tell) and is probably the best bar you can buy.

May 30, 2007, 1:30 p.m.

How does a Chromag Fubar compare to those two in terms of weight / strength / price? I'm trying to figure out which handlebar I should put on my new bike and those 3 are my favs right now… help would be appreciated!

May 30, 2007, 10:35 p.m.

ye, thats what im running now.

http://elbry.blogspot.com/

May 31, 2007, 3:57 a.m.

i have seen EA-70s bend in 25.4mm size, my buddy Jon bent his at Christmas (but broke his wrist in same crash)

haven't seen / heard of the EA-70 31.8mm size bending, those things are crazy burl…

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

May 31, 2007, 8:53 a.m.

How does a Chromag Fubar compare to those two in terms of weight / strength / price? I'm trying to figure out which handlebar I should put on my new bike and those 3 are my favs right now… help would be appreciated!

I've had the 7075 Fubar (25.4mm) and am now running the EA70 (31.8). The sweep and rise of both is really comfy, and I don't prefer one over the other. In my hand, the EA70 feels lighter, and it's at least $25 less than the Fubar7075 (keep in mind that neither is made in BC). Fubars are little wider. Both copy the ProTaper's sweep and rise combo.

NSMBA member.

May 31, 2007, 6:18 p.m.

Answer and Protaper are the same company in moto. The bars uses to be Answer Protapers, but then they broke it off into Answer softgoods, and Protaper hardgoods in 2003. Same ownership and everything.
http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,418388,00.html
" Another change for Pro Taper was that this year featured the first-ever standalone Pro Taper catalog. According to Dave Colquhoun, Answer's Senior Graphic Designer, "Pro Taper used to always get a couple pages at the end of the Answer catalog. About a year ago we started talking about separating the two brands just because a lot of people associated Pro Taper with Answer, and figured, 'If I run Fox, I can't run Pro Taper.' We wanted to separate them, so people would just think Pro Taper, and this was one way to help do that. "

The Answer MTB company used to be the same company as moto Answer, but was sold a couple times now, and is currently part of he Hayes/Manitou family.

I rock 25.4 Protapers, uncut, and they are nice.

May 31, 2007, 11:33 p.m.

i have run the same fatboy funn bars for over 2 years and ride some big stuff most weeks and are still straight and as good as new.

http://elbry.blogspot.com/

June 1, 2007, 2:49 a.m.

yeah the protapers are great bars, real nice shape if you are after quite a high rise. 25.4 but they are very strong, if you manage to bend them then I think you'll have bent you as well! Used to run them on the big bike, but have gone to a lower rise on that so they are on my HT now… Had 'em for years.

EA70's 31.8's are what I am running on the bug bike now, I really like them in low-rise.

Rims, yeah stick with Mavic. As far as new rims go, its gotta by 721's or 5.1's imo.

June 1, 2007, 6:31 a.m.

I run a protaper OS as well. Its super strong, notice zero flexing and it hasnt bent yet so it must be holding up. It also comes with a huge warrenty, so that alone should answer your question.

Trail pimps, they were "in" a few years ago I guess they have since faded out. May as well go proven and use a set of 721s or something.

[/dantes inferno]