press fit bb suggestions

Nov. 24, 2019, 11:42 a.m.

Getting my first frame with press fit. I have 30mm race face cranks going on it. Any suggestions. I've had bad luck (over and over) with race face bb's, so not going there. Wheels Manufacturing has one that screws together inside - looks like a good option.

Open to suggesetions on this one.

Nov. 24, 2019, 1:50 p.m.

Enduro stainless double row is the only good option. It is a wise idea to also buy Loctite 606 retaining compound and Loctite SF 7649 primer so the BB is held solid. I had to do this for my Optic, it could not hold a BB to save its life. My Sight had no problem with the RF BB92 but the bearings were out fast. About every 600 to 800km I had to swap a new RF BB92

Nov. 24, 2019, 3:52 p.m.

What about this one? I think it is a PFfor 30mm cranks

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard-angular-contact-bb-for-30mm-cranks-black.html

Nov. 24, 2019, 5:50 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

What about this one? I think it is a PFfor 30mm cranks

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30-outboard-angular-contact-bb-for-30mm-cranks-black.html

What size is your BB? BSA? BB92? PF30? The BB listed above is for the dead PF30 standard.

Nov. 24, 2019, 6:22 p.m.

I have a Chris King PF30 on my current ride. I dont see any reason why you would get anything else. It will certainly outlast the frame and I havent heard a peep from it in 2 years of use.  The Wheels Mfg one is also quite good from what I have heard.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Nov. 24, 2019, 6:23 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 24, 2019, 6:45 p.m.

I have the Enduro Bearings bb discussed in this article and it has been flawless: https://nsmb.com/articles/searching-30mm-bb92-solution/

Last edited by: D_C_ on Nov. 24, 2019, 6:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 24, 2019, 8 p.m.

Wheels manufacturing is awesome. Highly recommended! 

I have one on my chromag and it was super well made and has been flawless. Terrible tonsay, but it's been more maintenance free than the threaded hope BB on my other ride.

Nov. 25, 2019, 7:59 a.m.

We got years of use out of Race Face PF92 BBs with RF 30mm cranks. I think having BB shells that were manufactured to good tolerances and using retaining compound to secure the BB halves was a significant part of the reason for our success. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with RF BBs. We've used a fair number of them and not had an early failures. Certainly our track record is no better with Shimano BBs than RF.

If you really have to go to the trouble of expensive thread together BBs [don't forget the install tool as well] than I would just skip that frame and get something with a threaded BB. It's not like there are a lack of good choices with threaded BB's in every category of bike.

Nov. 25, 2019, 9:10 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

Posted by: D_C_

I have the Enduro Bearings bb discussed in this article and it has been flawless: https://nsmb.com/articles/searching-30mm-bb92-solution/

these seem to be the same bearings as the Wheels Mfg as they say they use Enduro dual row yada yada. it's all a bit confusing to me, i don't think about these things until i need them and i do some research, ask the LBS and get the best i can afford at the time.  the guy at the LBS was skeptical that they would last long just because of the press fit style (said they rock back and forth with pedal strokes, compared to threaded in, which i can see the logic) despite the high quality. i hope he's wrong. 

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-for-30mm/bb86-to-30mm-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html

adding to the confusion, WM have a new product; it's the same as above, but 'black oxide' bearings. it's a substantial cost savings, so maybe black oxide is less expensive than stainless?

Black oxide is a anti-corrosion coating. We have parts at work that gets a similar treatment.

And in regards to the rocking back and forth. He must not be very familiar with press-fit BB,s . They have been used for years.

I,m in need of a new BB as well , BB92. My current RF is toast , but still limping along. Running RF 30mm Cinch cranks does limit one,s choices.

Nov. 25, 2019, 9:21 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

We got years of use out of Race Face PF92 BBs with RF 30mm cranks. I think having BB shells that were manufactured to good tolerances and using retaining compound to secure the BB halves was a significant part of the reason for our success. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with RF BBs. We've used a fair number of them and not had an early failures. Certainly our track record is no better with Shimano BBs than RF.

If you really have to go to the trouble of expensive thread together BBs [don't forget the install tool as well] than I would just skip that frame and get something with a threaded BB. It's not like there are a lack of good choices with threaded BB's in every category of bike.

Actually thinking back over my last 3 bikes. All had a RF 30MM BB , and all crapped out before 1000km of use. Even with repacking them at install. I always have the drive side crapout. My current one is limping along. This thread is a great reminder to tear the bike down and repair it.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/new-products/bottom-brackets/bbrighttm-outboard-abec-3-bb-for-30mm-cranks-black.html

This design peaks my interest. Have to contact them and get more info on it.

I have heard great things about Hope BB,s and their ceramic bearings. Another thought as well.

Nov. 25, 2019, 10:49 a.m.

Get a CK PF30.  Sure it costs more, but has a 5 year warranty. It will likely outlast your ownership of the bike, and the next owner as well.

Nov. 25, 2019, 1:41 p.m.

I also haven't had good luck with Race Face Cinch PF bottom brackets.