Prepare for the 650b Wheel-Size Revolution

June 20, 2013, 8:50 a.m.

The shock rate and tuning improvements on the Bronson are pretty amazing, huge improvements in small bump compliance, but its best for air shock. What didn't you like about it? I don't think a coil on it is going to feel great. If you want more big squish feel, the new Float X has that in spades for this bike.

I'm a serial hater of air shocks. I have not tried the FloatX in any bike, let alone a Bronson, but the stock air can in the Bronson compared to my push/rc4 nomad is night and day. Pick up my back wheel and drop it and it sticks to the ground. Do the same to the Bronson and it bounces 3 times. It's rough as guts in comparison on the trail. I don't see why people sacrifice the single most influential component of their ride just to save a little weight. Boggles my mind really, but I'm in the 1% here it would seem. To me it's like buying a $400 music player and using the $3 headphones it came with and telling their friends how awesome it sounds. And you're saying it won't work well with the highest performance suspension (which is coil) and that to me is a bit of a tragedy considering its being raced by your team in enduro. So that's really the biggest gripe. As for wheel size, yeah I could tell a difference. It was slower to accelerate, had to be leaned more, didn't feel as poppy and playful, and combined with being rougher due to harsh suspension it really didn't roll over stuff well and made me want my own bike back. If it didn't feel different, there would be no point right? If physics says it rolls over 10% better, physics also says it's 10% harder to turn, accelerate, pop and drift. I notice it and I don't see it as an improvement. Maybe I'd get used to it, but why? So I can ride without pumping, manualing and flicking as much?

As far as making the Nomad look like a V10, thats pretty hard if you want a seat tube angle that puts you in a good pedaling position, and will accept the seatpost. Believe me, I'd love this, its something that comes up frequently.

Could it be done with a dropper post? Who rides without one now anyway? Not many people who have a $3000 frame. I could be wrong but I think if you said to any NomadC owner 'I can make your Nomad look like a replica of the V10 in 6.3", but you have to run a dropper post' I think most would say hell yeah. But really this is just aesthetics and doesn't matter nearly as much as ride. Sure would be cool though.

Revised Nomad is a tough one, we've been struggling with that for a bit. What would you do? 26 or 27.5? Geometry changes? How much travel should it have? What fork travel would be best for it? What size and stroke shock goes on there? air only or? 1X only or does it need a front der?

-1D headangle
1/2" lower BB
1/2" longer TT
keep 1.5 HT
160mm fork optimized (it is a trail bike right?)
lose 1/2 to 1 lb (unless this makes it to weak to take heavy abuse).
keep travel where it is (because it's a trail bike). Or make it adjustable like the V10 (super clean way of doing it by the way. Doesn't have gaping holes that aren't used).
Optimized for coil (maybe it's an option by having 2 different links).
I find that mine climbs just fine, but maybe a steeper SA would be good.

And before you start thinking 'but the driver 8 didn't sell'… The driver 8 was too damn heavy. It weighed more than a V10 that could be travel adjusted down to about that anyway. It couldn't take a front mech which is totally acceptable now, but not 4 years ago. And it had too much travel. I believe people have realize that 160mm is enough if you are pedaling the thing. I heard someone say the other day that 150mm is the new 160mm, so the awareness that too much is too much is becoming clear. I was almost going to get a TRC instead of the Nomad as I came off a Blur 4X as my trail bike. If it had any more travel than 160mm (unless adjustable back down to that) I would not like it at all. It would be a pig, like the driver 8, on anything other than DH tracks which means you should just buy a V10.

Keeping in mind we don't all live on the shore eh?

Fair comment, and you have to sell enough bikes to make it worthwhile. I don't know the market so I can only guess. But… you have a truckload of bikes suitable for riding in the rest of the world. You have bikes that are very close to a Nomad, like the Bronson and TRC that are suitable for less heavy hitting terrain but are still up to the task mostly when called for it. If you don't smash into shit, jump big gaps and launch senders and you own a Nomad, you probably don't really need one, but lots of people own them anyway so they would probably find a market still even if they were a little lower and a little slacker. It's not just the shore that would make a bike like this shine. Think about it this way; are there more places in the world where a V10 makes sense than places in the world where a 'DH angled' 160mm bike make sense? My guess would be the 160mm would actually be more suitable in more places (you might just need to convince them a little, by making it look like a V10 and putting a coil on it). There are much fewer places in the world where a set of 115mm underfoot powder skis are worthwhile, but thankfully people make them because skiing here would not be the same without them.

Here's another idea that might be a little premature because of the lack of fork options, and the difficult single vs dual crown question… but I've been thinking a lot about this lately. What if you made a V8 that was adjustable from 200mm down to 160mm and if you had a fork that did exactly the same. With a dropper and 1x11 you could have 2 bikes in one. One DH set of wheels with 7 speed cassette and spacers (a switch on the shifter to block the 4 gears would be sweet, but adjusting the limit screw on todays tech would work)and one 'trail' set of wheels with the 11sp cassette. The new reverb stealth is supposedly getting quick connect hydraulic fittings, so you could run a stealth post that could be removed easily for DH duty. My new V10 frame weighs pretty much the same as my nomad anyway, and pretty much all the components except wheels and tires are the same on both my bikes. It's so close to do-able now that it just takes a little cooperation between a fork manufacturer and a frame manufacturer and I think the first one to market on this could do well, especially if the travel switching was as simple and unobtrusive as the current V10, and you could get the desired angles and BB heights in both modes.

Joe, if you made it through all that; thanks for reading.

June 20, 2013, 9:03 a.m.

From what I see the LTc is a good bike, but I have never ridden it. I just picked up the Banshee Prime and it's a great bike…super fun, bombproof and climbs like the dickens… and decends even better, it just loves gobbling up trail. I feel faster on it than I did my Rune, loving it so far!

Are you also a tall and thick gentleman? Because that would add a ton of value to your input (which I appreciate to begin with).

www.vitalmtb.com

June 20, 2013, 9:04 a.m.

Are you also a tall and thick gentleman? Because that would add a ton of value to your input (which I appreciate to begin with).

Yeah, 6' 4" and down to 240lbs from 260. :) This is the first bike that I feel that actually fits me and my riding style.

June 20, 2013, 10:26 a.m.

joeg, I need your wisdom.

I'm 6'5", 250 with no gear. I ride trails in socal, and sometimes norcal. I pedal up, I rally down. Do you think a Tallboy LTc would be a good bike for me? I've been riding my bullit since I bought it new in 2002, and it's time for a new bike. Tallboy LTc seems like a good choice, options to demo it are a little sparse, I just don't want to feel like I have to tiptoe through the rocks or g outs. I want a big bike(as in tall/long) that I can have fun on.

You must get hit with questions like that all the time, but I'd really appreciate your input.

You are in Norcal, head up to Downieville and rent/demo a LTc from Yuba Expeditions:
http://yubaexpeditions.com/all-mountain-demo-bikes

Years ago I was considering the at the time new Heckler, after demoing one I decided not to get one as it was to close to the Bullit I already had, and not a big enough jump up from the Blur I was riding.

They are great guys to boot.

The LTc is a very capable bike, I'm having a blast on mine. 6'2", 220lbs on a large frame.

June 20, 2013, 11:11 a.m.

I'm 6'5", 250 with no gear. I ride trails in socal, and sometimes norcal. I pedal up, I rally down. Do you think a Tallboy LTc would be a good bike for me? I've been riding my bullit since I bought it new in 2002, and it's time for a new bike. Tallboy LTc seems like a good choice, options to demo it are a little sparse, I just don't want to feel like I have to tiptoe through the rocks or g outs. I want a big bike(as in tall/long) that I can have fun on.

You must get hit with questions like that all the time, but I'd really appreciate your input.

Obviously I can't speak for Joeg here but I'm your height and only about 15 lbs lighter and found that the TB LTc is mostly a TBc with a bit more stiffness and more travel. I guess what I'm saying is that it felt like a mid travel XC bike instead of a proper mid travel bike. There is still a decent amount of flex head to tail compared to any bigger bike like the Nomad (which is too small for you in the XL). On top of this, the head angle is a tad steep for charging through steep, rough sections of trail.

I'm in the market for a pedally, burly bike for my height and weight and love the LTc but it just doesn't fit the bill for how and where I ride. I'm currently looking at an Enduro 29 because of the added travel, lateral stiffness and better geometry.

June 20, 2013, 11:13 a.m.

Isn't this basically what the Nomad is currently?

Not at all really. It is more of a long travel XC bike than a mini-dh bike. IMO, SC concentrated more on the pedaling efficiency than the bump eating ability.

June 20, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

Tracer Tong - I'm in the camp that feels the TBLT is a very capable bike, I'm having a very difficult time right now deciding between that and a Bronson. Rode both a bunch last week and both feel really good. At 6'2" my XL Mojo HD has been a great bike but the XL SCs fit better. Even with the steeper head angle on the TBLT, it feels so stable and confident going down steeps or rough terrain. That said:

joeg - any insight on how a TBLT would work with a 1 degree Angleset and a 150mm travel Pike. Doing the math I get a wheelbase lengthening by 0.6" and almost zero change at the handlebars and BB, which to me sounds GREAT. Unbalanced ride perhaps???

Also, you mention the FloatX on the Bronson…not a fan of Fox right now so would go with a Monarch Plus with a Pike up front. What tune on the Monarch plus would be my best bet? A lot of the Bronson articles talk about how the Fox was specially tuned for that bike but I'm assuming a stock Monarch+ would feel better? Got my old Monarch+ from PUSH but they don't do RS anymore.

Anyway, going into the shop now to put an order in:)

June 20, 2013, 1:40 p.m.

I think many Nomad users are waiting to see some updates, as said before, I'd love to see a slacker, longer TT but with a steeper ST….as fas as wheel size is concerned….it'd seem contradictory to release a new bike in 26" those days so this is something up to the SC guys…
I don't see the Bronson as the successor of the Nomad…it seems to me more as the evolution of the Blur LTc, so I'd be great to see a new and more geo updated Nomad…

June 20, 2013, 4:57 p.m.

I could use a longer tt on my Nomad but not slacker for me. I ride mine all over and find the steering a touch sluggish as is, but that's me. I am totally fine on a twitchy bike for the trails I like. I prefer air shocks and forks too, not for weight savings but for being able to get a proper spring weight for my lightweight and for the better climbing I feel I get from a rear air spring. I find a coil a bit mushy. Coils are pretty supple though and that's nice going down.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 20, 2013, 11:05 p.m.

I'm not gonna go quote it, but:

lol "pick up the back wheel and drop it to see if it bounces" as a measure of suspension performance.

Check my stuff for sale!

June 21, 2013, 7:25 a.m.

So if your back wheel bounces like a hardtail when you drop it, that means its going to be nice and plush on the small bumps when you're sitting on it? If it can't absorb that force, you think that tells you nothing? If that's the only test you did, sure it doesn't tell the full story but it did translate into much weaker small bump performance in practice. Are you suggesting this is a coincidence?

June 21, 2013, 8:13 a.m.

TallboyLT is an incredible bike for socal trails and the sierra. At 6'5", you might run an XXL also. That bike remains one of my favorites of all time, great climber, and you can rally rocky chunder like a champ. Might not win a dual slalom, but everythings got a give and take.
Definitely get the burly rimsat your size though, and build your wheels with straight gage spokes. That will be where things get loose.
Good luck

June 21, 2013, 9:27 a.m.

Dear joe g,

From videos, you appear to be the greasiest, surliest, most disheveled bike engineer ever. How is it you are still so lovable?

:lol:

Check my stuff for sale!

June 21, 2013, 11:13 a.m.

Joe, i don't care what you do with the rest of the bike design, but for the love of god please make your top tubes longer. If a bike is likely to be run with a 90 or shorter stem, how about some extra length in the top tube. TT lengths don't seem to have changed for years, despite pretty much every other aspect of bike design moving on.

I want 18" frames with 600-610 TT so i can run a 50-70mm stem without either feeling like i'm riding a hobby horse (large) or sitting upright like i'm on an Electra (medium). I'm 5'10" btw. Pretty average height but seem to sit right in between two sizes.

Please and thanks.

June 21, 2013, 1:35 p.m.

Joe, i don't care what you do with the rest of the bike design, but for the love of god please make your top tubes longer. If a bike is likely to be run with a 90 or shorter stem, how about some extra length in the top tube. TT lengths don't seem to have changed for years, despite pretty much every other aspect of bike design moving on.

I want 18" frames with 600-610 TT so i can run a 50-70mm stem without either feeling like i'm riding a hobby horse (large) or sitting upright like i'm on an Electra (medium). I'm 5'10" btw. Pretty average height but seem to sit right in between two sizes.

Please and thanks.

While we're at it, can we bump XLs up to around 640 with seat tube angles around 74'? Taller people need higher bars so probably need a longer head tube than the average guy (even on a 29er).

:woot:

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.