Prepare for the 650b Wheel-Size Revolution

May 10, 2012, 7:58 p.m.

Nice pic!

May 10, 2012, 10:01 p.m.

Here's my take. Last summer I spent a couple weeks on a Norco Shinobi. I rode it like I ride my Range and found that after my usual loops I was substantially fresher riding the Shinobi than on the Range. I could ride the Shinobi down anything I ride on the Range, and ultimately realized that the bigger wheels were simply a better tool for the job of getting around a mountain. Regardless I had no interest in purchasing the Shinobi. I simply have more fun descending on my Range. I like how nimble and playful the bike is. On the Shinobi I couldn't slide through corners, manual through sections, and generally hoon about like I do on my Range.

When I heard about 650b my reaction was similar to most folks, "seriously another effing wheel standard?!?!". I was explained that the major upside of 650b is that frame geometry doesn't have to be compromised like it does to accommodate 29" wheels. Shorter chain stays, slacker head angles and geometry similar to 26" bikes can all be designed into a 650b bike. Add that 650b wheels should roll easier than 26" bikes, and suddenly this whole 650b thing makes more sense to a guy like myself that sees the benefits of 29ers, but prefers the riding dynamics of a 26" wheel. I had an opportunity to test ride that 650b Range prototype on the week-end and was blown away. Riding the 650b Range back to back on the same trail as my 26" Range was eye opening. The 650b Range was fun and playful like my 26" Range, carried more speed through bumpy sections, and was noticeably easier to pedal over rougher ground. In short I can wait to ride that 650b Range again.

great post tim. you helped me articulate my own ambivalence to 29" wheels: yes, i was impressed with how capable they are in rough terrain, but that "monster truck" feeling of just rumbling over stuff with less input and effort needed left me feeling a bit meh. i don't race (for results anyway) and the idea of getting through trails faster and easier seems counterintuitive: i like the feeling of popping of stuff, picking my lines and playing around on the bike, so what's the advantage of expediting my progress at the expense of compromising that experience?

that said, you make a convincing case for tweener wheels splitting the difference: most of the fun of 26" and capability of 29"? colour me curious

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 10, 2012, 10:37 p.m.

Nice pic!

that is a cool pic… and thats one sexy bike..

the 650b range sounds very interesting….perm never mind w i told you's…

May 10, 2012, 10:45 p.m.

Here's my take. Last summer I spent a couple weeks on a Norco Shinobi. I rode it like I ride my Range and found that after my usual loops I was substantially fresher riding the Shinobi than on the Range. I could ride the Shinobi down anything I ride on the Range, and ultimately realized that the bigger wheels were simply a better tool for the job of getting around a mountain. Regardless I had no interest in purchasing the Shinobi. I simply have more fun descending on my Range. I like how nimble and playful the bike is. On the Shinobi I couldn't slide through corners, manual through sections, and generally hoon about like I do on my Range.

When I heard about 650b my reaction was similar to most folks, "seriously another effing wheel standard?!?!". I was explained that the major upside of 650b is that frame geometry doesn't have to be compromised like it does to accommodate 29" wheels. Shorter chain stays, slacker head angles and geometry similar to 26" bikes can all be designed into a 650b bike. Add that 650b wheels should roll easier than 26" bikes, and suddenly this whole 650b thing makes more sense to a guy like myself that sees the benefits of 29ers, but prefers the riding dynamics of a 26" wheel. I had an opportunity to test ride that 650b Range prototype on the week-end and was blown away. Riding the 650b Range back to back on the same trail as my 26" Range was eye opening. The 650b Range was fun and playful like my 26" Range, carried more speed through bumpy sections, and was noticeably easier to pedal over rougher ground. In short I can wait to ride that 650b Range again.

yup, you aren't the only one in that category! tonight's toonie here in whistler highlighted that for me…it was a limited passing tight course in lost lake, and at times when backed up behind riders I found myself doing lots of weird transfers and lines that are super playful, stuff that just doesn't work with a bigger bike…and I like doing that fun stupid shit!

May 11, 2012, 8:56 a.m.

I like doing that fun stupid shit!

This is the whole reason to ride bikes. Fun micro manuals, mini airs, rollers, popping off stuff. Just being playful on the trail.

May 11, 2012, 9:08 a.m.

…and I like doing that fun stupid shit!

+1

"I'm addicted to surfing."

May 11, 2012, 10:04 a.m.

This is the whole reason to ride bikes. Fun micro manuals, mini airs, rollers, popping off stuff. Just being playful on the trail.

concur! i've no problem trading a bit of bump levelling efficiency for playfulness. though a relatively inefficient trail smoothing tool, i had great fun riding a 26" hardtail this year (after a handful of years riding long travel full squish bikes exclusively). that said, bikes is bikes. sometimes we get too caught up in the technical minutiae.

May 11, 2012, 2:51 p.m.

carried more speed through bumpy sections, and was noticeably easier to pedal over rougher ground. .

Perfect for hacks like me.

Reynolds to produce 650b hoops of carbon…

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 13, 2012, 4:17 p.m.

this is one of the best 29'er descriptions i've heard. for me it seems like a long-travel 29'er is 10% faster, but 15-20% "duller". on the other hand i've found i'm blasting/airing some sections that i never did on 26" bikes. i can live with that too.

May 23, 2012, 1:06 p.m.

giggity!

samurai 65

May 23, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

so how does it ride… do you know that Schwable is out of racing ralph in 27.5 you are one of the lucky ones

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 23, 2012, 1:34 p.m.

so how does it ride… do you know that Schwable is out of racing ralph in 27.5 you are one of the lucky ones

it's not mine, just sharing the photo…think they only finished putting it together today

May 23, 2012, 10:02 p.m.

that didn't take long

those swoopy tubes are somehow killing me. i'm sure there's a good reason for them but… ugh

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 3, 2012, 3:58 a.m.

rode it at wade's yesterday, was surprised how obvious the "happy-medium" wheel size was. rolls through rough terrain better than 26, but easier to manouver in tight terrain and easier to spin up than 29. geo feels very "normal". pretty convinced this makes a lot of sense for the "trail" bike category, maybe even for xc racing. the 650b revelation was very impressive. hopefully the tires come quickly…

June 3, 2012, 10:24 a.m.

I'm holding out for 26.75".

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.