Pot stiring question

Dec. 8, 2008, 10:45 p.m.

…..

Go google:

Torque

Leverage

Acceleration (related to torque)

IMHO, 29" is for people who want to stand out in a crowd in a bad way, kinda like those gay cowboy couple that walk through Whistler Village in tight short shorts in the middle of the weekend visitor crowds.

29" would able you monster truck through the rocks easier than the smaller diameter wheels, but the cons outweight the pros for MY usage. It's too weak, not as responsive to shore-sprinting, brake checking.

oh hai!

Dec. 8, 2008, 11:09 p.m.

It's all relative; with 650b all you need to change is tires, rims, spokes, and brakes (usually, and especially doing a conversion on a 700c frame/fork), and with a 29" wheel all you have to change is forks (a pittance of an initial investment for the suspension guys, and nothing at all if you're going rigid and can use a 'cross fork), and the rear brake mounts. Sure, both designs need specific frames to take advantage of the sizes, and sure larger volume tires needed to be made for 29ers, but it really is 6 of one, half-dozen of the other… except that 29" wheels are actually a significant difference.

Okay… on a serious note. The majority of persons doing 650B conversions are converting 26" disc-brake equipped mountain bike Frame/Fork combos to 650B. So, I cannot imagine where you came up with the need for new brakes?

My, tongue-in-cheek, point was that since most frames/forks already clear 650b (for example my Titus frame and Fox 36 would handle 650b no problem)all you need are: A) Longer Spokes, B) 650B rims, and C) 650B tires and you have a 650B mountain bike.

Also, as a point of interest, the first Schwinn mountain bikes were actually 650B or rather 26x1-1/2, which is the same thing, so it is not a new idea.

So, with companies going to 650b, all of a sudden bike shops have to carry twice the crap for no significant advantage, and everyone is confused.

The difference is so small in terms of actual ETRTO sizing (584mm for 650B vs. 559mm for 26"), as you pointed out, that there will actually be crossover in spoke lengths based on how deep the individual rims are, so if we are being serious shops are not exactly on the hook for "twice the crap" (not to mention who the hell would actually stock 650b stuff?).

Not to mention that if a shop cannot figure out how to distinguish ETRTO sizing (which unlike most our industry is actually an ISO standard: http://www.iso.org/iso/home.htm, http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=11912) They should probably just shut their doors now.

All that crap aside…

You _definitely _missed my point… so if you are going to quote me:

Pure. Marketing. Gold.

29'ers are WAY too common. Singlespeed, dinglespeed, 9x1, it doesn't matter. We need something to keep the fringe fired up and feeling different.

They tried brakeless fixies but those were too hard.

32" wheels would be too expensive to accomodate for… at least with early 29er bikes they could use Hybrid or Cross parts.

650B is the answer… no R[HTML_REMOVED]D neccesary.

It's driving the economy baby! What would Panaracer be doing if they were not making Pacenti 650B tires?

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 9, 2008, 8:04 a.m.

No, 700c and 29er rims are not "pretty close" in size (assuming you mean diameter). They are IDENTICAL in size (622 etrto). 29er rims are just wider, and sometimes are disc-specific.

They just had to call them 29" wheels so that mtb retards wouldn't think they were running "sissy road bike parts."

Ooops I know they are the same. What I wasn't clear about it was the slight size differences based on the manufacturer of the rim.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 9, 2008, 8:30 a.m.

Ooops I know they are the same. What I wasn't clear about it was the slight size differences based on the manufacturer of the rim.

The best part is that on a fair number or larger-tired Hybrids the sizing actually transitions from 700c to 28" somewhere around 45mm.

So you would have a 700cx45mm and a 28"x1.75" and those are exactly the same ETRTO size.

So 700c, 28" and 29'er all have the same bead-seat-diameter (obviously super narrow road rims are not compatible with 29'er x 2.4" tires but they are technically the same size).

FUN TIMES!

-D

Dec. 9, 2008, 8:33 a.m.

The best part is that on a fair number or larger-tired Hybrids the sizing actually transitions from 700c to 28" somewhere around 45mm.

So you would have a 700cx45mm and a 28"x1.75" and those are exactly the same ETRTO size.

So 700c, 28" and 29'er all have the same bead-seat-diameter (obviously super narrow road rims are not compatible with 29'er x 2.4" tires but they are technically the same size).

FUN TIMES!

-D

Fun times indeed. Especially when your trying to find a tire to fit a customers rim.

Now when it comes to 28' let's not forget we no have the old a new version as well.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 9, 2008, 8:41 a.m.

Fun times indeed. Especially when your trying to find a tire to fit a customers rim.

Now when it comes to 28' let's not forget we no have the old a new version as well.

Two versions?

28 x Number-with-Decimal = 622mm

28 x 1-1/2 (Europe)= 635mm

28 x 1-1/2 (Europe) is also, confusingly refered to as 700B.

28 x 1-1/2 (Canada - Yes we had our own!) = 622mm (F.13)

28 x 1-1/2 (Canada) is also the same as 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/4 which is, I believe, a Swedish standard that is the same thing as 28 x Number-with-Decimal.

And they are ALL still out there being asked for.

Dec. 9, 2008, 9:32 a.m.

So my cross bike is a 29er? My god, I'm so damn trendy! I think I'll convert to a 26er cross bike. Where can I get thse Moots bolt on canti bosses?……….

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 9, 2008, 11:10 a.m.

suspension makes a bigger difference in the ability to roll over rocks than a larger rim size

even just a bigger tire on a 26" rim makes a big difference

Dec. 9, 2008, 11:30 a.m.

Okay… on a serious note. The majority of persons doing 650B conversions are converting 26" disc-brake equipped mountain bike Frame/Fork combos to 650B. So, I cannot imagine where you came up with the need for new brakes?

My, tongue-in-cheek, point was that since most frames/forks already clear 650b (for example my Titus frame and Fox 36 would handle 650b no problem)all you need are: A) Longer Spokes, B) 650B rims, and C) 650B tires and you have a 650B mountain bike.

Also, as a point of interest, the first Schwinn mountain bikes were actually 650B or rather 26x1-1/2, which is the same thing, so it is not a new idea.

The difference is so small in terms of actual ETRTO sizing (584mm for 650B vs. 559mm for 26"), as you pointed out, that there will actually be crossover in spoke lengths based on how deep the individual rims are, so if we are being serious shops are not exactly on the hook for "twice the crap" (not to mention who the hell would actually stock 650b stuff?).

Not to mention that if a shop cannot figure out how to distinguish ETRTO sizing (which unlike most our industry is actually an ISO standard: http://www.iso.org/iso/home.htm, http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=11912) They should probably just shut their doors now.

All that crap aside…

You _definitely _missed my point… so if you are going to quote me:

Pure. Marketing. Gold.

29'ers are WAY too common. Singlespeed, dinglespeed, 9x1, it doesn't matter. We need something to keep the fringe fired up and feeling different.

They tried brakeless fixies but those were too hard.

32" wheels would be too expensive to accomodate for… at least with early 29er bikes they could use Hybrid or Cross parts.

650B is the answer… no R[HTML_REMOVED]D neccesary.

It's driving the economy baby! What would Panaracer be doing if they were not making Pacenti 650B tires?

-D

Haha I'll agree with you that 650b is definitely keeping the fringes happy. Especially the old balding ponytail fringes. I do think that 650b is retarded, but your points are well taken.

One thing though, is that most 650b conversions that I see being done are from 700c road bikes, not 26" mountainbikes. If you type in "650b conversion" into google, the VAST majority of the material you'll pull up will be about getting long-reach brakes (for example) to turn your steel road bike (surly pacer, bla bla) into a 650b road bike.

Now THAT's stupid. At least Surly was smart enough to just go 26" on their LHT for the smaller sizes.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 9, 2008, 12:45 p.m.

Haha I'll agree with you that 650b is definitely keeping the fringes happy. Especially the old balding ponytail fringes.

Dec. 9, 2008, 6:19 p.m.

^^ just wrong……

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Dec. 9, 2008, 8:10 p.m.

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 9, 2008, 9:36 p.m.

If you really wanted to stir the pot you would have started this thread in MTBR's 29er forum…

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 10, 2008, 10:22 a.m.

If you really wanted to stir the pot you would have started this thread in MTBR's 29er forum…

Too many fools there.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 10, 2008, 11:14 a.m.

Two versions?

28 x Number-with-Decimal = 622mm

28 x 1-1/2 (Europe)= 635mm

28 x 1-1/2 (Europe) is also, confusingly refered to as 700B.

28 x 1-1/2 (Canada - Yes we had our own!) = 622mm (F.13)

28 x 1-1/2 (Canada) is also the same as 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/4 which is, I believe, a Swedish standard that is the same thing as 28 x Number-with-Decimal.

And they are ALL still out there being asked for.

Fuck you very much. Now I need a beer.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk