Poll: How often do you service your fork?

Dec. 1, 2019, 6:24 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Did it do it before you had the stanchion replaced?

Without opening it I think I'm out of ideas though to be honest.

It did it once before, and once after I had the stanchion replaced.

No worries, much appreciated.

Dec. 1, 2019, 6:39 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: -Alex2-

I used to ride regularly, asshole. Never did any maintenance back then either, never had any worn stanchions or air loss. And the 2007 Boxxer manual says to add a teaspoon of oil to the top of the left leg every so often to avoid air loss, not drain any old oil out. That means the oil in the top of the left leg is gone.

How do I lock this thread? This is pointless.

I don't think calling anyone asshole is necessary.

As for the topping up oil business, I think that was when seals kinda sucked and through use, oil would slowly creep out of the lowers along the stantions. A fork that is ridden 3 times a year shouldnt lose oil. I also may be misunderstanding what you meant.

That was just directed at Syncro, who seems to be a troll.

Are there better seals available now? The oil mentioned in the manual directly relating to air loss goes into the top of the left leg, which if I'm not mistaken is a cavity surrounded by non-moving parts, so as far as I can tell, the riding time shouldn't make a difference.

Dec. 1, 2019, 6:46 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Ol' Alex here has had a big first day on the board eh lol. No where to go but up...or out.

I haven't posted in about 9 years, so my post counter restarted. I have about 380 total.

Dec. 1, 2019, 6:52 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

My ‘99 Bomber Z1 BAM has never been serviced and still feels as good as when I got it in ‘02.

For realz.   I’m terrified of what the oil smells like so refuse to open it  

The rest of my forks get cleaned and lube oil changed at home every few months.   So easy, so cheap,  so worth it.

Any idea what changed in the last 20 years so forks need constant service now?

Dec. 1, 2019, 8:18 a.m.

Forks have literally no oil in them now compared to 10 - 20 years ago.

Dec. 1, 2019, 8:51 a.m.

Are there better seals available now? The oil mentioned in the manual directly relating to air loss goes into the top of the left leg, which if I'm not mistaken is a cavity surrounded by non-moving parts, so as far as I can tell, the riding time shouldn't make a difference.

Maybe a bit, but I'm perplexed at the nature of this thread and even you have to admit how your information/posts and the direction of this thread (set by you) are all over the map.  Besides a general curiosity about service intervals it seems like you're trying to equate a problematic experience with one fork, an air sprung fork, with basically all forks while admittedly not knowing the difference or caring about how well your fork is performing. Then on top of that your're trying to compare service intervals for a fork(s) that may get ridden 2-3 times per year with riders who are probably out 2-3 times per week or month at the very least.  Basing a service interval off of time frame vs actual use is as bad as recommending oil changes in a car based on the amount of time that goes by vs km's driven. 

IMO you would have been better off saying "Hey guys, I've got a problem with my Boxxer..." and then given enough details so people could actually help you. However, what you basically  did is create a poll about service intervals based on your riding experience (which doesn't really match up with everyone else's btw) and then complain about fork servicing while saying hey, fix my fork. And one other thing that doesn't seem clear is if you have all these forks bolted to different bikes or if you're swapping out forks between one or two bikes. 

You asked heckler why new forks need constant service and the answer is they don't. Higher performance level forks do need regular service, but it depends on how often you're riding and the conditions you're riding in. Ride once a month and you could probably service a fork every 2-3 years. The issue with your Boxxer seems to be more than a simple service, it's probably worth sending it out and telling them in detail what's going on with the fork.

Dec. 1, 2019, 8:52 a.m.

Posted by: Brother-Lu

Forks have literally no oil in them now compared to 10 - 20 years ago.

Yeah, that's what I figured in a previous post. That explains it.

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Maybe a bit, but I'm perplexed at the nature of this thread and even you have to admit how your information/posts and the direction of this thread (set by you) are all over the map.  Besides a general curiosity about service intervals it seems like you're trying to equate a problematic experience with one fork, an air sprung fork, with basically all forks while admittedly not knowing the difference or caring about how well your fork is performing. Then on top of that your're trying to compare service intervals for a fork(s) that may get ridden 2-3 times per year with riders who are probably out 2-3 times per week or month at the very least.  Basing a service interval off of time frame vs actual use is as bad as recommending oil changes in a car based on the amount of time that goes by vs km's driven. 

IMO you would have been better off saying "Hey guys, I've got a problem with my Boxxer..." and then given enough details so people could actually help you. However, what you basically  did is create a poll about service intervals based on your riding experience (which doesn't really match up with everyone else's btw) and then complain about fork servicing while saying hey, fix my fork. And one other thing that doesn't seem clear is if you have all these forks bolted to different bikes or if you're swapping out forks between one or two bikes. 

You asked heckler why new forks need constant service and the answer is they don't. Higher performance level forks do need regular service, but it depends on how often you're riding and the conditions you're riding in. Ride once a month and you could probably service a fork every 2-3 years. The issue with your Boxxer seems to be more than a simple service, it's probably worth sending it out and telling them in detail what's going on with the fork.

Pay attention, Syncro. I said that the oil in the top left leg that's related to air loss according to the manual, is in an area that doesn't seem to have any moving parts. So why would it matter whether the fork is being ridden or not?

The Boxxer doesn't hold as much oil as older forks. Problem solved.

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:14 a.m.

Pay attention, Syncro. I said that the oil in the top left leg that's related to air loss according to the manual, is in an area that doesn't seem to have any moving parts. So why would it matter whether the fork is being ridden or not?

The Boxxer doesn't hold as much oil as older forks. Problem solved.

lol - you need to go back and read this thread from the beginning, it's a shitshow of disinformation.

glad it seems like you figured out what the problem is though, now you just have to actually fix it.

ps that seal that seems to be failing is a moving part - the stanchion slides though it.

Last edited by: syncro on Dec. 1, 2019, 9:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2019, 9:16 a.m.

I’m terrified of what the oil smells like so refuse to open it  

Any idea what changed in the last 20 years so forks need constant service now?

Sarcasm is not your forte, eh?  

My old Bomber is stiff yet bouncy (in a bad kind if way) and relegated to the the 94 Rockhopper that hangs in the shed, only coming out of seclusion now that there’s a new pumptrack next door. That fork needed a servicing 15 years ago and it still desperately needs one but I won’t pull it apart for fear of what I might find and not be able to replace. 

I suspect your answer is that damping technology has improved so much but at a price of being far more noticeable now when a fork looses performance.

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:17 a.m.

lol - you need to go back and read this thread from the beginning, it's a shitshow of disinformation.

Troll.

Dec. 1, 2019, 9:18 a.m.

Troll.

say hi to the wife for me!

Dec. 1, 2019, 10:02 a.m.

She asks why you're still trolling nsmb. lol

Dec. 1, 2019, 10:20 a.m.

Shots fired.

Dec. 1, 2019, 10:25 a.m.

Oh that Synchro he's the worst. Making honest people feel like they want to buy him a beer since 2003. Insidious.

Been 16 years reading his posts, any day now he's going to drop the unfailingly insightful and helpful even-handed act and reveal he's a troll after beer.