Pole Machine - machined goodness or folly?

Nov. 29, 2017, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: T-mack

6000 series you heat treat then bend to get rid of warpage right after as the grains are all in the proper direction.

Uh, first the surface table then the oven. Preferably right after welding while material's still soft and malleable.

Ohh right right my bad. I was at work when I typed that out, brain was a little scattered. Point being is 6000 series you heat treat to get a T6 state whereas 7000 series you dont hence why cranks etc are made from 7000. I could be wrong though?

Nov. 29, 2017, 7:51 p.m.

I don,t see any structure issues with 7075 and it being milled from a billet . I bet this is done on a 5axis trunion set-up or a tombstone and a horizontal mill, they could do both profiles in one set-up . And as I stated before with the hi speed machining capabilities and aluminum specific tooling they could make money doing these .

Other thing to consider these are no a high production volume based bike

Nov. 30, 2017, 1:52 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

love the design / concept. some proper innovation going on. nice to see some exotic alternatives to carbon. frame only price of $4200 + whatever duties is certainly eye opening - though i've no doubt cnc machining something that large is going to be a pricey endeavor. looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

It's in the realm of other über-bike frames: MOJO G16/Wrecker w/11.6/SB5.5/Slash...  I'm sure small-batch production in Western hemisphere adds to the cost.

Dec. 2, 2017, 11:11 a.m.

I love the environmental angle with our toy bikes - because the earth is going to be saved or not depending on how disposable toys for rich people are being manufactured.  Give me a fucking break.  None of us in the first world is doing any favours for the future of our species; we use too many resources for the earth to sustain just by our "basic" lifestyle alone, recycled metals or not.

This is like saying that the Mayans would still be around if they only restrained themselves from using gold in their jewelry.

Pretty bike though.  I'd be stoked to own it if it were the right style bike for me.

Dec. 3, 2017, 10:15 a.m.

Posted by: Lowcard

T-Mack, my machinist buddy, whom you know, says that without forging, this frame will be either too weak or too heavy. Weak, because of the grain structure of aluminum and the inherent weak spots. Heavy, as they won't be able to machine enough material out to maintain strength. Can they efficiently forge blocks that big? Can they mass produce a product with that much machine time?

And this whole environmental push they are trying to create is a real funny one, as they probably don't realize the huge footprint that mining metals entails... and that's just from mining trucks alone. Pound for pound, I would guess that carbon fiber actually has less of an impact from a manufacturing stand point.

Maybe it is just a real clever marketing campaign?