pivot bolts

Nov. 20, 2020, 10:02 p.m.

This may sound like a stupid question. For years, I've greased pivot bolts + threads (sometimes loctite on the threads depending on history of the bolts coming loose). Anyway, the question is whether the bolt shaft itself should be greased or left dry...dry would cause the pivot bearing to move rather than the bolt rotating within the bearing. It seems like dry is better...and we shall leave the dirty minds at the door before typing something inappropriate...because lubing the shaft is important...damnit I failed.

Mtb-specific thoughts?

Nov. 20, 2020, 10:54 p.m.

As a hack who likes to ride a lot downhill, anything metal-on-metal was greased save for the little bits that made me wonder if it would kill me.  Those bits were loc-tite'd.

No metal bits were ever left to grind on each other, ever.

Nov. 21, 2020, 9:42 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

As a hack who likes to ride a lot downhill, anything metal-on-metal was greased save for the little bits that made me wonder if it would kill me.  Those bits were loc-tite'd.

No metal bits were ever left to grind on each other, ever.

This is the way.

Nov. 21, 2020, 9:55 a.m.

Degrease, clean and blue loctite all threads. Grease all metal contact surfaces.

Nov. 21, 2020, 4:10 p.m.

Agreed. Any metal-to-metal interface either gets grease - or loctite. I even grease threads on bolts that are not prone to coming loose.

Nov. 21, 2020, 5:18 p.m.

Posted by: rwalters

Agreed. Any metal-to-metal interface either gets grease - or loctite. I even grease threads on bolts that are not prone to coming loose.

Have you tried Purple loctite for that or never seize? Grease is ok but its a bit thin and is not great for preventing galvanic action. I find the above help prevent galvanic action