pike dual position vs solo air

Jan. 6, 2015, 2:09 p.m.

i'm deliberating a pike purchase. i typically opt for simplicity, but the dual position will be a bit cheaper than the solo in this instance, and i'll be running a fairly slack ha, so the feature could be beneficial. i won't go that route if efficacy and/or reliability are issues however. anyone running a dual?

Jan. 6, 2015, 2:29 p.m.

I've got a DPA on my Surface. For me it's a great fork, lets me run 150mm when I want to bomb down steeper stuff, or 120mm when I'm cruising XC trails. I debated between the SA and DPA, and while the ability to add the bottomless tokens in the SA was nice, ultimately being able to drop the fork was a better feature for what I was doing. If the price is right I'd say go for it.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Jan. 6, 2015, 3:14 p.m.

interesting that they're cheaper

i haven't ridden one. but i had a friend who got one and never really was able to get it set up to his liking. as i understand it, you can't use tokens to change the volume of the airspring on the dpa - and the ability to adjust the size of the air spring is a big part of the pike's appeal for many riders

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Jan. 6, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

could one not change the volume but putting something else in there? You just need to reduce the air volume, right? Maybe a small rodent or a leftover sandiwch or something.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 6, 2015, 6:42 p.m.

ham sandwich?

Jan. 7, 2015, 10:59 a.m.

Hi everybody. I have made some air volume spacers for the Dual Position Air. Some riders prefer a little more ramp and these spacers can help. The come in two volumes (10 and 14 cc), most prefer the 14. Installation is a little trickier than the solo air but its still only a 5 minute job. Drop me a note if interested - [email protected]
Thanks

Fluid Function
Shawn Cruickshanks
[email protected]

Jan. 7, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

^that does beat bits of sandwich stuffed in there.

Oct. 25, 2015, 11:03 a.m.

Ok so rather than start a new thread I thought I would resurrect this one…

I am in the process of trying to decide between SA and DPA for a 2016 160mm Lyrik that I will be ordering.
As a bigger dude (6'5", 240 lbs), the bottomless tokens are a must for me, and I'm choosing the Lyrik over a Pike for the added burliness.

From what I see on RS's website, the DPA internals will now accept bottomless tokens in both the Pike and the Lyrik. I was initially leaning towards DPA, but my LBS has cautioned me against them, saying that they are less reliable and don't feel as good as the SA. They also mentioned that he DPA does not accept the tokens, but that seems to have changed….

Any of you have any insights on the SA vs DPA conundrum? Thanks!

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Oct. 25, 2015, 6:23 p.m.

I can't speak to the Lyrics, but I have a bunch of time on both SA and DPA Pikes and can't tell a difference in them at all.

Technically, '16 was the first year for tokens in the DPA's, but they can def. be added to earlier models. I installed one in my '15 160mm, and love it. I've heard claims that the DPA is inherently more progressive (less volume due to the DPA), but I run the same number of tokens in my SA and they feel pretty really close.

I wouldn't be concerned going DPA, especially if it's less expensive.

Oct. 25, 2015, 7:16 p.m.

Hi everybody. I have made some air volume spacers for the Dual Position Air. Some riders prefer a little more ramp and these spacers can help. The come in two volumes (10 and 14 cc), most prefer the 14. Installation is a little trickier than the solo air but its still only a 5 minute job. Drop me a note if interested - [email protected]
Thanks

I've been running one of these spacers from Fluid Function for about 6 months now. Made a big difference in how the DPA ramps up. And it really was a five minute job.