Phantom "tick"

Sept. 20, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

When I pedal.
Happens when left crank is passing through the 11:00 position but now intermittently when right crank passes through top of stroke.
Driving me batty went around bike cinching up everthing.
Went out test ride no difference then slammed seat stood and pedaled…….. no tick!
So is possible Reverb, which has side to side play (swivels, eh?) is culprit?
Anyone else similarly afflicted?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 20, 2015, 8:25 p.m.

Bottom bracket?

Sept. 20, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

Could just be the saddle rail interface if the clicking only happens when sitting on the saddle. Could be a few things though.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 20, 2015, 8:41 p.m.

Could just be the saddle rail interface if the clicking only happens when sitting on the saddle. Could be a few things though.

Agreed… remove the saddle and clean the rails and the interface area of the seatpost.. apply some light grease and re-assemble…

Sept. 20, 2015, 9:06 p.m.

check your knees?

Sept. 20, 2015, 10:11 p.m.

check your knees?

:lol:

If cleats be worn, could be them.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 20, 2015, 10:53 p.m.

Someone attached a homemade clock to your bike?

What walleater and GPlayboy said

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 21, 2015, 12:35 a.m.

Reading comprehension. Oh no, wait……..

With brand new components tightened and re-tightened?

:idea:

OK, will try anything at this point.

One does, but that I can feel.

Flats.

wut?

:beer:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 21, 2015, 6:05 a.m.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/new-reverb-stealth-play-knocking-sound-955116.html

Sept. 21, 2015, 9:55 a.m.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/new-reverb-stealth-play-knocking-sound-955116.html

Pretty much every Reverb off the showroom floor has a small amount of play as a "built-in" bonus… both vertical and lateral. This wouldn't normally cause a tick when pedalling seated though.

Sept. 21, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

My bike was doing this last ride. It was driving me nuts so I have to stop mid-ride to try and fix. It was a small amount of grit that got between the seat post and tube. I don't have much slack cable on internally routed seat post, so I brushed off the crude at top of clamp, loosened off the seat post clamp, wiggled the post around to try and clear any of the crude out, tightened back up and was good. So much better when irritating clicks are not there.

In the past I have also had creaking come from a slightly loose derailleur hanger. Took it off, gave it a quick clean and reassembled. I doesn't take much sometimes to change from a nice and silent ride to irritating madhouse tick.

Sept. 21, 2015, 1:12 p.m.

Try pedaling while standing up. If the tick goes away it is probably coming from your seat post or seat rail.

Sept. 21, 2015, 2:12 p.m.

Yah I snugged up the seat clamp a little before but just went and wiped/re-clamped.
Complete r[HTML_REMOVED]r dis-assembly of seat clamp, lube. Still making noise I notice one of the saddles' rails had movement going into plastic frame of saddle at rear so went out in garage found an old Flite that was solid installed it - no change.
If it were derailleur (which feels solid) would still make noise when standing up I reckon.

:|

Sept. 21, 2015, 2:47 p.m.

Yah I snugged up the seat clamp a little before but just went and wiped/re-clamped.
Complete r[HTML_REMOVED]r dis-assembly of seat clamp, lube. Still making noise I notice one of the saddles' rails had movement going into plastic frame of saddle at rear so went out in garage found an old Flite that was solid installed it - no change.
If it were derailleur (which feels solid) would still make noise when standing up I reckon.

:|

Seat post clamp? Cracked Seat tube? Grasping, but its possible.

Sept. 21, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

Crank the Ipod louder.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/