people who are looking into purchasing 888's

April 25, 2004, 2:41 p.m.

its 100% BS if they are shipped not ready to rock, its not like its a cheap fork or anything.I still back marzochi but it just goes to show that aspect of business that is very weak for the consumer, whereby in an effort to get shit to market its not 100% ready.It can be very damaging to a companies rep and they should smarten the fuk up ..lots of competition to be the #1 fork maker nowadys….when they do get it dialed in I think the 888 will prove to be nice, I sure love my monster t, its just a bit heavy, but talk about forgiving just today I went off a little 6 footer a little slow and nosed in, luckily the landing was steep enough that the monster sucked it up… but if I had been on my boxxer I would have been fukkin bucked…yes Im a hacksigh

April 25, 2004, 2:50 p.m.

Ok ok, I agree that they should come ready to rock n roll, but no grease on the bolts wouldn't stop me buying them. And I hope it wouldn't stop other people buying them either.

April 25, 2004, 3:16 p.m.

Originally posted by tmmccree
Ok ok, I agree that they should come ready to rock n roll, but no grease on the bolts wouldn't stop me buying them. And I hope it wouldn't stop other people buying them either.

yea I can agree w that, I d love some 888's.

April 25, 2004, 3:19 p.m.

Same here! Hopefully someday soon, a pair of 170mm 888s will be loving installed, grease and all ;)

April 25, 2004, 4:20 p.m.

Originally posted by tmmccree **
As far as 170mm 888s go, you've been able to get them over here for a while now. They're the ones I'll go for when my budget allows.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Forks[HTML_REMOVED]ModelID=2966**

"Over here" being the operative phrase. You peeps in Europe get Marzocchi stuff quicker, and at a better price, then we do. :(

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 25, 2004, 4:21 p.m.

Originally posted by FuManChu
so are you saying that if you bought a new car, and drove it home and relized that there was only a quart of oil in it and all the hubs needed to be repacked with grease that you wouldn't be pissed?

:lol:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 25, 2004, 4:25 p.m.

Originally posted by switch
"Over here" being the operative phrase. You peeps in Europe get Marzocchi stuff quicker, and at a better price, then we do. :(

Yeah, but theres a heck of a lot of stuff that is a total rip off.

We get good prices on Hope, Mavic and Marzocchi, to name but a few. Things like Santa Cruz etc are highly over priced over here.

April 25, 2004, 8:07 p.m.

If you think any of the top pros ride a fork that even resembles a boxxer you're mistaken. The internals on the pro forks are 100% different. And I'd be hard pressed to find a handful of people who haven't broken a 2002-2004 Marzocchi product. For this reason my bike will never again have a marzocchi product on it. Further more I hear there is major issues with the black stanctions and there is some sort of recall being issued. I also know of 2 or 3 people that have already broken these forks! I'd give the 888 a full season of other people riding them before I even consider it. And they are certainly attractive as they're so cheap and offer big travel, how nice it would be not to spend big money for a big fork!

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

April 25, 2004, 9:07 p.m.

I had 888's before I switched to the 2004 Slider plus. I would say when I got it, the bolts where not greased, oil level was definatly low. When I changed the preload, the C clip is the most cheese dick thing I ever seen. 888r it a tall fork.

April 25, 2004, 11:03 p.m.

Originally posted by tmmccree

see the thing is that when these bolts aren't greased intially, and torqued down to spec, it can cause great problems with removal and stripping/snapping of certian bolts/threads. wouldn't that be a piss off going to install the new fork you bought only to go and remove the upper crown bolt and have the head snap off cause it binded hardcore cause some ass clown at marz didn't lube his bolts. jsut bad business IMO.

as for the c-clip business, calling it a c-clip is a joke.

msn messanger= [email protected]

Originally posted by Coop
quick ! to the intolerance-mobile!

It didn't taste like easy mac at all. It tasted like Satan

April 26, 2004, 2:27 a.m.

Originally posted by FuManChu
**see the thing is that when these bolts aren't greased intially, and torqued down to spec, it can cause great problems with removal and stripping/snapping of certian bolts/threads. wouldn't that be a piss off going to install the new fork you bought only to go and remove the upper crown bolt and have the head snap off cause it binded hardcore cause some ass clown at marz didn't lube his bolts. jsut bad business IMO.

as for the c-clip business, calling it a c-clip is a joke. **

I totally agree, but hopefully this isn't happening, or will not happen in the future.

April 26, 2004, 2:08 p.m.

On the subject of the c-clip my mate installed his 888 friday before our ride on saturday.2 minutes out and 1 loud bang later he was walking.
C-clip on the compression side was either never there or disintegrated.There is a little scratch mark on the rod it looks like something was there but alas no longer.
Does anyelse think the whole preload set up looks rather a weak affair , they say its motocross tech but I dont know( seems like a lot ofpreassure to be putting on what appears a weak set up)

Another guy i spoke to at the weekend has broken off the axle clamp ( bit in front of the two bolts) I guess both these guys didnt check torques , greese or c-clips .

Both forks are been warrentied

April 26, 2004, 6:34 p.m.

Originally posted by Spud-biker
**On the subject of the c-clip my mate installed his 888 friday before our ride on saturday.2 minutes out and 1 loud bang later he was walking.
C-clip on the compression side was either never there or disintegrated.There is a little scratch mark on the rod it looks like something was there but alas no longer.
Does anyelse think the whole preload set up looks rather a weak affair , they say its motocross tech but I dont know( seems like a lot ofpreassure to be putting on what appears a weak set up)

Another guy i spoke to at the weekend has broken off the axle clamp ( bit in front of the two bolts) I guess both these guys didnt check torques , greese or c-clips .

Both forks are been warrentied **

HEY u guys are freaking me out…

:(

i know my 888 made some terrible "creaking/snapping" sounds when i first adjusted the bolts…

i was sure the heads of the bolts were gunna snap off…:eek:

April 26, 2004, 9:44 p.m.

have you opened your 888 up ian? notice the three rods that connect the cartridge to preload knob are held together with that pinner c-clip. jsut kinda scares me.

msn messanger= [email protected]

Originally posted by Coop
quick ! to the intolerance-mobile!

It didn't taste like easy mac at all. It tasted like Satan

April 26, 2004, 9:51 p.m.

While I am sure what you heard is valid, it is sometimes easy to take what half a dozen people agree on, on the internet, for some kind of epidemic.

The bottom line is there are thousands of these forks out on the trails right now. They are a first year product and there are likely a few things to be improved upon.

There are no recalls or safety concerns with the product.

Every product has bugs. I could list several frames that all fail the same way..you could post about problems some of the Manitou Slider's and Shermans have and how some are failing, or how some brakes suffer from the same issues.

I'm not discrediting what you shared at all. All I am stressing is that there is no need for guys like IFO to be put into a panic because some of the forks that are the same model he is riding have had issues. Some of the forks that are the same model as the one on his HT are failing too. Some of the stuff you and I are riding has also failed.

It is the nature of the beast. The sport is progressing like mad, and products struggle to keep up with arguably one of the most progressively abusive and complex sports (in terms of technology) out there. There will be speedbumps on the route to the top.