Pedals/Cranks

July 17, 2007, 2:48 p.m.

I got a new bike.

While I was building it up I accidentally started to put the right pedal on the left crank arm, after a few threads I saw my mistake and fixed it. So I finish off everything and go for a quick pedal along the street; something feels bent. I don't think its the cranks since they're brand new too. Could I have fucked up the threads with my little mistake? I am thinking that I am just being paranoid because you'd think that the threads would be exactly the same on each pedal.

http://www.finalgear.com

July 17, 2007, 3:36 p.m.

Ok! So I talked to the guy who I ordered the bike from, he said the only way I'd be able to get the right pedal into the left crank is if I forced it. Again, I only went in a couple of threads. He also said he rode the bike before he sent it out and everything was perfect. If the pedal does not wiggle and looks flush, than everything should be fine right?

someone help! i suck at not getting worked up over stupid things

July 17, 2007, 3:41 p.m.

the only way you could get the left pedal into the right crank is with force, the pedal on the left side tightens to the left and the pedal on the right tightens to the right…. if you got it a couple of threads in you most likely cross threaded the crank

July 17, 2007, 3:43 p.m.

the only way you could get the left pedal into the right crank is with force, the pedal on the left side tightens to the left and the pedal on the right tightens to the right…. if you got it a couple of threads in you most likely cross threaded the crank

Hey Captain Obvious, thanks for retyping what he JUST typed out.

Sober

July 17, 2007, 3:48 p.m.

Is there a way to tell if I fucked up anything from the outside? Would I be able to feel anything when I pedal? I am too scared to take the pedals off and see what damage I might have done.

I just want to know, even though I probably cross threaded, would there still be a possibility that when I put the pedals on the right way everything would be fine.

Like I said before everything is flush and not moving around so I hope all is well.

July 17, 2007, 4:17 p.m.

here's a way that i think you can check it effectively. look at where the non-threaded part of the pedal spindle stops at the outside of the crank arm. back the pedal out a tiny bit so there is just the tiniest gap between the surface of the crank arm and the non-threaded part of the spindle. look through the gap and see if the pedal is slightly angled in any direction. in other words, make sure the gap is the same width all around. this should work pretty well, good luck.

July 17, 2007, 4:33 p.m.

if u have the pedal fully seated in the crank arm, then dont worry..

theres no way u cross threaded it that far without noticing it being VERY hard to thread in…

go ride ur bike and stop worrying.. it sounds like ur fine..

p.s. if u have a camera take a pic of the crank arm/pedal in question.. a clear pic would help find out for sure…

July 17, 2007, 4:34 p.m.

also take a pic of the new bike.

July 17, 2007, 5:16 p.m.

Well, when I ride some of my friends' bikes, it feels to me as though thier crank/pedal/bb is bent. Its always been that way. When I got my new bike, the cranks felt like they were bent when I pedaled, then I would hop on another brand new bike only feel a similar "tweak" in the crank rotation, but it was different feeling. Its my thought that cranks cant be made 100[HTML_REMOVED]#37; perfect and thats why some of us feel these "tweaks" in the crank rotation. I especialy feel it on squar taper and isis cranks. I doubt its a problem at all. As long as your bb is faced and chased, there isnt much you can do to try and correct it. You'll get used to it in no time.

thinkin bout bikes